Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dark Turban
  • 1 Post By mozartpc27
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default PlayBook + BB10 = ??? Rampant Speculation Welcome!

Hi:

Am not a 'crack' head, just an owner of a PlayBook who's glad he bought it & is looking forward to what a future with BB10 might hold.

And with that, here's my question:

When BB10 finally gets to PlayBook - what features/capabilities of the OS/UI do people think users will be able to
    enjoy & which are likely and/or confirmed not to make it over due to the PB's potential 'limitations'?

Where I am coming from is that I have a 32 GB PlayBook and when I look at some of the specs of the upcoming BB10 phones, the new OS and the specs of my gear - I find myself wondering how much I really will be able to play in that new sandbox when it gets to be my turn. Maybe some, maybe all - I dunno & that's why I'm askin'.

Sorry if this has been asked & answered else where guys, but I don't think I've seen this posed any where yet.

Look forward to hearing what people think on this.

Cheers,
    DT
    mpetrol likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

I have trouble with people making assumptions about hardware limitations on the PlayBook preventing it from running BlackBerry 10, because no one knows what the minimum system requirements that BlackBerry 10 has been designed to run under are.

People make claims about the RAM, not having a 1.5 ghz processor etc, but that's pointless if the engineers always built it to run on Wifi PlayBooks or greater specs.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Dev alpha A has close to the same specs as PlayBook. BlackBerry10 will run fine on the PlayBook. OP if you really want answers to your questions there are likely hundreds of threads on the topic.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks Rubber Chicken.

You've helped further clarify what it is that I am asking by coming at it from a different perspective.

Yeah, I also wonder what the minimum sys reqs are for BB10 and if any one has any rampantly speculative intel on what that might be as well.

But, I guess I have hundreds of threads on the topic awaiting a look see first.
    CrackBerry User

One of my favorite features of the current Playbook OS is an aesthetic one - I like the way I can drop all but the top row of apps off the screen, so that I can just see my wallpaper and the 6 things I access most frequently. It makes for a very clean look and allows the wallpaper I select to set the overall sense of the "desktop" - my Storm2 running OS5 works much the same way (in the "home screen," my wallpaper dominates the aesthetic, with just my 8 "top row" icons showing).

It looks like this will not be a feature of the BB10 phone - it looks like the early version of BB10 phones will be more like iPhones in this respect, with the icons automatically filling the screen if there are enough of them (so that the screen is always filled with icons for apps, unless you are on a page of the last page of the menu and there are not enough remaining icons to fill the screen).

I hope this feature does not go away on the Playbook when it is upgraded to BB10; alternatively, I hope that design element is ultimately included in BB10.
    Qaxl likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,015 Global Posts

One thing that makes this difficult is RIM isn't always consistent with software upgrades. For example, the 9700 was upgraded to OS 6, but the Storm wasn't. At the time, there were rumours that they tried but the performance of the Storm hardware wasn't enough for Blackberry 6. Many devices got upgrades to OS 4.5 and OS 5.

On the other hand, nothing got a BlackBerry 7 upgrade. I remember reading something about RIM redoing the graphics pipeline to support OpenGL because all the new devices had a dedicated GPU (addressing a longstanding hardware deficiency vs. the iPhone). The new, consistent GPU hardware completely cut off the older devices.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"