I'm watching all the videos and reading up on this wonderful device. However My biggest concern is how my 9780 will handle the battery drain when tethering. Can't wait for Canada to get this beast!! being it has no simcard, it cant be simlocked, I might have to grab it from the US if it comes out first lol!
    01-07-11 12:58 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Any application that uses a 3G connection (even GPS and Tune-in Radio) seem to drain the battery on my torch fairly quickly.

Does anyone have any info on how tethering will affect BB battery life?
    01-07-11 07:20 AM
    The playbook tethering will not benefit your battery. That's all we know now. Haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 07:22 AM
    Right, i brought this in another thread. Tething is generally going to be pretty hard on the battery. The BB has to pull data thru its data connection then send that data also. your days of battery life are numbered and you will be charging every night is my guess. Its a trade off to get better function for your phone i guess
    01-07-11 09:24 AM
    you can always plug your BB into the playbook via USB for charging
    01-07-11 10:28 AM
    Which device will that charge? The BB or the PB?
    01-07-11 12:36 PM
    ...um...even if you could do that (which I don't think you can from everything we've seen) you'd just be sucking battery life from your playbook to your blackberry.
    01-07-11 12:43 PM
    Tethering in general sucks the battery life of ANY device...doesn't matter if it's BB, Android, or Apple.

If you tether the BB wirelessly, then I'd expect a lot of battery drain. It's just a fact of life right now, given batteries are the way that they are. I don't really see it as a flaw exactly.
    01-07-11 04:55 PM
    How much more Bluetooth bandwidth is being used in BlackBerry to Playbook tethering vs. BlackBerry to Bluetooth headset based tethering?
    01-07-11 05:23 PM
    How much more Bluetooth bandwidth is being used in BlackBerry to Playbook tethering vs. BlackBerry to Bluetooth headset based tethering?
    Bluetooth headsets do not use your phone's Cell Radio. Can't really make a comparison. It ultimately depends on how much you use the tether to access the internet, and what kind of data you're pulling off the internet...
    01-07-11 07:34 PM
    Bluetooth headsets do not use your phone's Cell Radio. Can't really make a comparison. It ultimately depends on how much you use the tether to access the internet, and what kind of data you're pulling off the internet...
    Who said anything about the cell radio? I'm talking about the Bluetooth pipe here.

I'm saying there will be less stress (and power being used) on the bluetooth connection between a Blackberry and a Playbook than there will be on a bluetooth connection that is streaming the audio from a Blackberry handset to a bluetooth headset.

When you are using a bluetooth headset, you are constantly streaming audio over the connection. When you are sharing information between a BlackBerry and a Playbook, you are sending bursts of text.
    01-07-11 08:35 PM
    If you're tethering the PB to the BB you're going to be using more than the BT pipe.

You still can't compare he two, because a BT headset has one use case, but BT tethering from BB to PB has more use cases and infinitely more usage patterns.

Wait for it to be released and see for yourself, or wait for someone to actually give a decent review that doesn't talk almost solely about the UI or some QNX speculations.
    01-07-11 09:24 PM
    If you're tethering the PB to the BB you're going to be using more than the BT pipe.

You still can't compare he two, because a BT headset has one use case, but BT tethering from BB to PB has more use cases and infinitely more usage patterns.

Wait for it to be released and see for yourself, or wait for someone to actually give a decent review that doesn't talk almost solely about the UI or some QNX speculations.

Sounds like its just bluetooth connection, no cell radio involved.

!

Maybe you should take your own advice.
    01-08-11 06:16 AM
    /facepalm ?

The PB can can access the internet through the Blackberry's cell connection over BT, the same way you can tether a Windows Mobile phone's internet connection to a computer over bluetooth.

It's not that hard to understand.

Can't compare it to some bluetooth headset...

I have a hard time believing people will be tethering WiFi playbooks solely to BBM people or look at Calendars and Emails.
    01-08-11 04:40 PM
    /facepalm ?

The PB can can access the internet through the Blackberry's cell connection over BT, the same way you can tether a Windows Mobile phone's internet connection to a computer over bluetooth.

It's not that hard to understand.

Can't compare it to some bluetooth headset...

I have a hard time believing people will be tethering WiFi playbooks solely to BBM people or look at Calendars and Emails.
    Maybe I don't understand either. Can or can't one surf the web by tethering. I can't remember seeing anything stating whether it can or can't. That would make the BB a hotspot therefore you are going to be charged by your carrier.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 01-09-11 at 02:03 AM.
    01-09-11 01:59 AM
    Maybe I don't understand either. Can or can't one surf the web by tethering. I can't remember seeing anything stating whether it can or can't. That would make the BB a hotspot therefore you are going to be charged by your carrier.
    Yes, you can tether your phone's data connection.

You don't have to access the internet using that data connection.

Yes, the carrier will probably charge you for tethering, unless exceptions are made.

The program Tether for Blackberries allow you to Tether (the data connection) by Bluetooth as well.

However, I'm wondering what the tethered speed will be like. My experience with transferring files between phones 1 foot away from each other over bluetooth left much to be desired.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-09-11 at 03:37 AM.
    01-09-11 03:35 AM
    Thethered speeds will not come close to WiFi. I hope to use mine on WiFi 90% of the time and only teather when I am in the field.
    01-09-11 08:47 AM
    Same here. That's why I don't understand all the whining about "You mean I have to have a BB already to use this thing?!"
    01-09-11 08:59 AM
    Blackberry battery life will suffer. The bluetooth radio in the phone and the Playbook will both use power. While using the connection it will use more power on both devices. How much? Will have to wait and see. I bet my Tour would only last a day tops.
    01-09-11 09:25 AM
    Same here. That's why I don't understand all the whining about "You mean I have to have a BB already to use this thing?!"
    I think most of it is from having to tether if you want email/calendar from Exchange.
    01-09-11 09:45 AM
    I think there is a lot of speculation and will continue to be so until it is released into the publics hands. I'm looking forward to seeing it and trying it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 10:30 AM
    Was about to start a new thread, until I seen this one. My battery life on my Torch, when not even using it, but using the PB while tethered to my Torch and no Wifi connected, my battery drained quite fast. When my settings are as what I just described, my ADR is around 5-9%, depending on what I'm doing to take up the usage. Installing Ebooks = Low ADR, Streaming Youtube videos = High ADR.

So how is everyone else's Average Discharge Rate when tethered to your BB, but not using it other then tethering.
    04-25-11 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD