I recently replaced a screen on a playbook. I had to wait for quite a few weeks for the screen to arrive and suspect the battery drained while waiting. Having replaced the screen, the playbook wouldn't charge. (The red light comes on for about 15 sec then goes off for a few seconds and then comes back on - the cycle repeats.........no yellow or green light appear).

My first attempt to fix was to stack charge. I tried a few different timing methods, and persisted for a number of hours.....no luck.
    I also tried leaving it "charging" overnight and then pressing power button for 20 sec.......no luck

I was about to jump start it and had the battery removed when I got these readings
    Playbook battery problem - charging-voltmeter.jpg
    This was voltage to terminals.

I later checked the connector that attaches the battery to the motherboards.......and compared these readings to another playbook that I have that is working....Playbook battery problem - charging-battery-connector-2.jpg........this shows the underside of the connector.( numbers are my addition)

So here are the readings for good playbook
    pins 1 - 5 = 3.53V
    pins 1 - 2 = 2.38V (so also are pins 1-3, 1-4, 1-7, 1-8)
    pins 2 -5 = 0.13V ( so also are pins 3-5)

So here are the readings for deadplaybook
    pins 1 - 5 = 3.53V
    pins 1 - 2 = 0.18V (so also are pins 1-3, 1-4, 1-7, 1-8)
    pins 2 -5 = 0.04V ( so also are pins 3-5)

So, obviously the voltages are incorrect.....but WHY ? my battery seems to have a decent charge

Would appreciate any suggestions.

I am thinking of charging the battery a little more ( say to 4 volts or 4.5 volts)

Next Day: after stack charging all day and night using a timer switch, I noticed no difference in the battery voltage....still 3.88V
    So, I have tried a software update using desktop manager. I got the first green light in days while the program installed the new software. It seemed to load ok. When it tried to reboot it hung...ie. red light on 12 sec, off 6 sec, on 12 sec, off 6 sec etc.....during this time the computer disconnects and reconnects in time with the red light..

Could really do with some suggestions about how to proceed..
    Last edited by pcarbery; 01-03-14 at 09:27 AM.
    01-02-14 04:23 AM
    Wow this is WAY beyond me....

Floating it up for assistance from talented gurus.....

And welcome to the forums.
    01-03-14 03:12 PM
    I recently replaced a screen on a playbook. I had to wait for quite a few weeks for the screen to arrive and suspect the battery drained while waiting. Having replaced the screen, the playbook wouldn't charge. (The red light comes on for about 15 sec then goes off for a few seconds and then comes back on - the cycle repeats.........no yellow or green light appear).

My first attempt to fix was to stack charge. I tried a few different timing methods, and persisted for a number of hours.....no luck.
    I also tried leaving it "charging" overnight and then pressing power button for 20 sec.......no luck

I was about to jump start it and had the battery removed when I got these readings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voltmeter.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	235352
    This was voltage to terminals.

I later checked the connector that attaches the battery to the motherboards.......and compared these readings to another playbook that I have that is working....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery connector 2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	235353........this shows the underside of the connector.( numbers are my addition)

So here are the readings for good playbook
    pins 1 - 5 = 3.53V
    pins 1 - 2 = 2.38V (so also are pins 1-3, 1-4, 1-7, 1-8)
    pins 2 -5 = 0.13V ( so also are pins 3-5)

So here are the readings for deadplaybook
    pins 1 - 5 = 3.53V
    pins 1 - 2 = 0.18V (so also are pins 1-3, 1-4, 1-7, 1-8)
    pins 2 -5 = 0.04V ( so also are pins 3-5)

So, obviously the voltages are incorrect.....but WHY ? my battery seems to have a decent charge

Would appreciate any suggestions.

I am thinking of charging the battery a little more ( say to 4 volts or 4.5 volts)

Next Day: after stack charging all day and night using a timer switch, I noticed no difference in the battery voltage....still 3.88V
    So, I have tried a software update using desktop manager. I got the first green light in days while the program installed the new software. It seemed to load ok. When it tried to reboot it hung...ie. red light on 12 sec, off 6 sec, on 12 sec, off 6 sec etc.....during this time the computer disconnects and reconnects in time with the red light..

Could really do with some suggestions about how to proceed..
    Not safe to charge battery over 4.2 volts. You can explode lithium polymer batteries if you charge beyond about 4.27 volts. Your problem does not seem to be in the battery charge but elsewhere. If all connections have been properly made it may be in corruption of the battery controller hardware or software. The data would appear to suggest a grounding problem. You could also check the micro usb pins. If you can use a fast charger there is also a reference on that.
    01-04-14 05:08 PM
    Hi, I want to know the voltages measured on the battery teminals. Are they between ground or charces or negative to the various points. Good work.
    12-13-14 01:03 PM