For 2 days, the percentage life was 8% (it was on standby and bridged to my bold the whole time). It has now been 0% for a few hours..anyone else getting this?
    08-09-11 08:31 PM
    I've never left mine on that low for so long but I have ran it on 0% for quite awhile.
    08-09-11 08:53 PM
    what update are you on I know this was the behaviour on the previous updates. but seems to be fixed in 1.0.7
    08-09-11 08:58 PM
    what update are you on I know this was the behaviour on the previous updates. but seems to be fixed in 1.0.7
    I'm running 1.0.7.2670..ad I just checked it while on 0%
    08-09-11 09:13 PM
    no battery life problem but im not currently using the bridge feature.i plan on getting new phone in the near future and i don't even know yet i will be using the bridge feature then.my next phone(s) could possibly not be a bb.yet to be determined.but the battery life has settled after first install.
    08-09-11 09:26 PM
    Judging from reports in the forums and from my Battery Guru users, this is a bit unusual (in that I've never heard of it sticking at 8% for two whole days) but is generally consistent with the various bizarre behaviours people have seen.

Sitting at 0% for a few hours isn't very unusual though. I do that all the time.

The battery level value is just an estimate, calculated from other information (especially the voltage) but susceptible to a variety of problems, some of which are certainly caused by software problems that they should be able to iron out over time.
    08-10-11 11:22 AM
    Seems that RIM have made it so you can 'run on empty' just in case you're in the middle of an important business-related activity.
    More battery life than you would expect
    My Windows laptop and Android tablet turn off when they are at 5-10%.
    08-10-11 08:05 PM
    For 2 days, the percentage life was 8% (it was on standby and bridged to my bold the whole time). It has now been 0% for a few hours..anyone else getting this?
    you should check the doctor, i think you may be electrified.
    08-10-11 09:28 PM
    I'm running the newest OS and the battery drain on this OS sucks, all other previous OS versions the battery was awesome for me
    08-11-11 09:43 AM
    I've ran it to stop working. It is very possible that RIM makes that last 10%, after you get the warning, make the Playbook go into a super saver mode. So if you aren't using it then that would be possible. I ran on 0% for about 15 minutes of full usage. I think 0% is like the Estimated Miles left and dummy light for gas in a lot of cars, they usually go to 0 when you still have enough to go another 10 or 20 miles.
    08-11-11 10:47 AM
    There is no change in power consumption once the tablet hits 0%.

It's possible QNX/RIM designed the battery level estimate to go to 0% "early" like that, but there's also clearly an element of incomplete software design, since many people don't get that, and for those who do the extra duration varies both widely and wildly. Some people get no extra time (or indeed the unit shuts off before 0%), while others get hours of run time. And some get varying amounts at different times.

Also, @manofice, I think you're either spreading FUD or are going solely based on the "percentage remaining" estimate rather than actually measuring how long until the tablet shuts down.

I have made detailed measurements and I'm quite certain that the latest release does not use significantly different power under almost any conditions than the previous release. If there's a change, it might be on the order of 5% difference, but I've seen no evidence for that either.
    08-11-11 11:31 AM
    I would try a Reset...maybe its jus a glitch....but i guess u have tried that already huh? your guess is as good as mine
    08-11-11 01:06 PM
    There is a problem with the battery indicator. This is a s/w problem since the last update it seems. My indicator swings from 50% to 0% a number of times between charges. Now I have no idea of the charge status. Would imagine this will be fixed in the next update.
    08-11-11 03:00 PM
    Question from a Playbook Newbie... I charged the Playbook two days ago but didnt touch the Playbook since then. Now the battery is half empty from Standby Only... is that possible?

Many thanks
    08-19-11 07:04 PM
    Question from a Playbook Newbie... I charged the Playbook two days ago but didnt touch the Playbook since then. Now the battery is half empty from Standby Only... is that possible?

Many thanks
    Never had that happen to me. What are your brightness settings? Bluetooth on? I keep certain this off and turned down so that the battery stays when on standby. Could be because your Playbook is new. Mine settled in after a week or so and does well. I only charge like every two or three days.
    MRM993 likes this.
    08-19-11 08:10 PM
    This is possible, with the current OS version (1.0.7), at least if you ran anything that launched the GPS service.

Under some conditions, the GPS will continue running indefinitely after it's been used. When that happens, rather than consuming the usual 50mW in standby, which would give you about 15 days of standby time, the consumption may be up to about 140mW continuously.

At 140mW, you'll get about 5 days on standby, so 2.5 days (roughly) for 50% of battery.

There are enough other sources of error in the numbers and measurements (e.g. overall health of your battery, whether you charged only till it read 100% or really until it had stopped charging on its won) that I think this could basically explain it.

(All data/experience acquired using my Battery Guru app, which shows voltage, power, and similar useful data that the OS itself does not show.)
    08-20-11 08:03 AM

Many thanks
    I don't know if it's still a factor but when it first came out if you didn't open and accept the video chat user agreement that drained the battery fast.
    08-20-11 08:24 AM
    This is possible, with the current OS version (1.0.7), at least if you ran anything that launched the GPS service.

Under some conditions, the GPS will continue running indefinitely after it's been used. When that happens, rather than consuming the usual 50mW in standby, which would give you about 15 days of standby time, the consumption may be up to about 140mW continuously.

At 140mW, you'll get about 5 days on standby, so 2.5 days (roughly) for 50% of battery.

There are enough other sources of error in the numbers and measurements (e.g. overall health of your battery, whether you charged only till it read 100% or really until it had stopped charging on its won) that I think this could basically explain it.

(All data/experience acquired using my Battery Guru app, which shows voltage, power, and similar useful data that the OS itself does not show.)
    This app, is it available in the Appworld?
    08-20-11 08:39 AM
    This has been discussed quite a bit already. I'm pretty sure the battery meter is just a little inaccurate still. I remember having this happen to me a couple times.
    08-20-11 09:26 AM
    I had the battery problem how after the battery charged 100% it would stop charging even if it was still plugged in.
    the issue was only on the very early os builds though.
    08-21-11 12:49 AM
    How do you guys get yours to run down to 0%?
    Mine says that it will automatically switch off when it gets to 5%... I want to run the battery all the way down to re-calibrate it as it has not been done for some time.
    08-21-11 04:49 AM
    @emtunc, there's no magic trick to getting it to go down to 0%. Some do, some don't. The "recalibrate" technique supposedly involves not running it down to 0% so much as running it down to the point where it does shut itself off, then recharging fully (to the point where the lightning bolt symbol goes away, not just until it first shows 100%). Best to do that with the tablet powered on (in standby) as well, not with it powered off.

There's too little info from RIM to know whether that's really how it should be done, unfortunately, and that's possibly because this supposed recalibration simply doesn't actually work right now. Very few people have reported any real change in the battery level range as a result of doing this, and I know no one who has actually "fixed" their unit (with a problem like yours) by doing this.

For now, be patient, wait for a later release. Nothing else you can do, except maybe buy Battery Guru and at least verify that your battery is giving you the full range from about 3.4V to 4.2V, which means it's working fine regardless of what percentage level it shows. ;-)
    08-21-11 09:10 PM
    This app, is it available in the Appworld?
    (Re Battery Guru) Yes, of course. A simple search finds it easily, or navigate to Utilities -> Utilities and look at the Paid apps. Should be in the top 20 (first page) still, for now.
    08-23-11 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD