I've got five PlayBooks at the moment

It's none of my business, I know, but why do you have five PBs?
    04-06-12 10:13 AM
    if it's bad, then why doing it?
    RIM suggested method of calibrating battery percentage.
    I have also done it a few times by mistake.

Again good/bad is a different subject. I responded to your comment that it will kill the battery. That is just not true.
    There is no evidence that draining the battery occasionally will have any measurable impact on longevity.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-06-12 11:06 AM
    not with lithium battery, or you will kill it...
    You should have stopped after the first half of that sentence.

And please don't point to the postings of non-expert people in that support forum thread, or others, as a credible source of advice. I've posted numerous corrections and refutations there until I got blue in the face...

Also please don't extrapolate from a statement like "draining to 0% will do more harm than charging it fully all the time" to "you will kill it". It's simply not true.

The fact of the matter is that, while draining a Lithium-Ion battery below some lower voltage will cause irreversible and potentially serious damage, the PlayBook does not allow you to drain the battery anywhere near that voltage level.

The PlayBook shuts itself down when the battery reaches 3.4V. Lithium-Ion batteries can reach this level, and even below it, with no damage, and no significant reduction in life.

All indications are that the RIM engineers have designed a system (including the battery, chargers, and algorithms involved) which will provide years of service with almost no possibility of anyone damaging things except in the most extreme cases, or if a device is defective.

Significant overheating (which probably requires the device be too hot to touch), or force-draining the battery by repeatedly attempting to turn it on until you've pushed it below maybe 3.0V, or draining it fully and then leaving it discharged for many months, are the only ways you could do any significant damage.
    04-06-12 11:56 AM
    My playbook batt has sucked after the 2.0 update. I would die after 24 hrs of standby
    04-06-12 09:59 PM
    its been 12hrs now, battery has lost 4% since the last 100% charge, its on standby with bluetooth and wifi off
    04-07-12 02:58 AM
    8% per day means more than 10 days, although, I still think standby should not require turning off bt and wifi.

PETER???
    04-07-12 09:54 AM
    my wifi is OFF. BUT according to my Advance Manager App, my battery usage by wifi is 41%. And it shows the time the wifi is "running". Why is wifi "running"??? it is OFF. Do I have a bug??? Also, my GPS Receiver is "Turned On". How do I turn this off???
    04-07-12 12:31 PM
    With Wi-Fi on, my PB loses roughly 0.3-0.5 % an hour in standby.
    04-07-12 01:07 PM
    battery life on mine in standby mode is about 4 hours usually.

in standby with airplane mode turned on 8+ hours. unfortunately there is no "microsoft windows esque" task manager on the playbook (that I know of) so I have no idea why it is killing itself?!? (is there an app for that?)

What is standby mode actually for if it lets apps or services continue run and kill my battery

anyone help please!!! this is super lame because if i forget to put it in airplane mode the next I go to use it it is always dead
    04-14-12 08:18 AM
    If you're able to drain and full battery in 4 hours with the screen off then I would say you have an problem.
    A call to rim may be your best bet.
    04-14-12 08:32 AM
    battery life on mine in standby mode is about 4 hours usually.
    Are you using Manual Sync for any of your Messages accounts in the settings?

Four hours in standby is so phenomenally low that if it's not the Manual sync thing, your unit is definitely defective. It would have to be using 4.5W continuously to drain the battery that quickly, and the unit would be very warm since that's a heavy load. It means the screen's not really off, the CPU is motoring along at full speed, and you're probably playing audio loudly or transferring data over WiFi at top speed.

Craziness... that's not Standby at all!

Even Manual sync alone couldn't lead to this, but it could be a contributing factor.

Next time you try putting it in Standby, cover the screen with a dark cloth or stick it under your shirt and look at it... if there's any light coming around the edges, or a glow, it means the screen is not really off. That was a problem with the 2.0 betas but is not an issue with 2.0 final, at least for anyone else I've heard of...
    04-14-12 09:50 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD