Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default PlayBook battery drain after latest OS update 2.1.0.1526

Hi guys,
    Has anyone else noticed poor battery performance since last update? Mine seems to drain very quickly even in standby, last night it was at about 40% when I put it in standby and this morning it had switched itself off due to battery at 0%(same thing the night before). This did not happen prior to update. With my normal usage about 45 minutes of use in morning and an about 2 hours at night it would normally have about 20-30% left but now it struggles to get this and I have to charge twice a day. This is a new playbook that was recently replaced by RIM under warranty and battery was fine before update. Anyone else having this trouble?
    Wayne
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

I spoke to RIM about it and they suggested security wipe and reload of software update, this seems a bit excessive in my opinion, any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Wayne
    CrackBerry Genius

I haven't noticed any difference for better or worse. Is there anything you changed recently? Apps settings?
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

MANUAL sync in the native email causes problems for some. Set to any time interval.
    Leaving the browser open on YouTube causes excessive drain for me.
    Leaving some apps open might do it as well.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I would recommend a hard restart first. Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power buttons down and keep holding until it reboots. It's a good thing to do when seeing problems that a restart doesn't resolve.

My other suggestion would be to put it on the charger when you go to bed. Then it will be charged and ready to go when you are.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 

I have not upgraded my 64g but did upgrade the 32gig. I just looked at the more or less idle 32 and it is not draining much as all in standby.

As asked, did you add any new apps? Sideload any Android apps? Change your email setups or sync interval?

I'd also suggest a restart

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart after or before a full charge.

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

I have to say it's been better, especially when bridged.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,206 Global Posts

Mine seems about the same.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,598 Global Posts

Mine has been terrible since the update. It's shut down twice on its own because the battery died. I've had my pb since day one, so I can easily notice a difference in battery life.
    S5
    Z10
    64gb PlayBook
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I have deleted the two apps that were recently installed but no difference, will try resetting and see how it goes. Thanks guys for all your speedy replies, will keep you updated. Ps wifi is always on as is bridge, I have always ran it this way and no probs with battery
    Wayne
    kumasi likes this.

These reports of bad battery life after the upgrade are making me shy away from doing it on my primary 64gig. But the upgraded 32g with little stuff loaded on it is showing normal "low-loss" on standby.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Tried to reset with 3 buttons, battery was showing 60% and after 1 hour on standby had dropped to 50% so it does not look like this made much difference. Will try security wipe and reload of software tonight after backing up. Will post results tomorrow.
    Wayne
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Default Re: PlayBook battery drain after latest OS update 2.1.0.1526

Try putting in airplane mode, shut down all apps except Battery Guru (which you should get),put in standby and see what you get for average battery drain. I get as low as 0.04 watts which would be about 5% in 24 hours. Advanced App Manager available free in BB World may help you locate and kill apps which are not closed and may be chewing on the battery. Also if you leave wifi on email, social sites and news providers may wake up periodically to retrieve notifications sometimes using quite a bit of battery.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Hi guys,
    Last night i did a wipe and reload of software and then restored my files from backup. Put it on for full charge and this morning I have been working it for about half an hour and it is now at 94%. Will leave it in standby for the day and see what battery % is this afternoon but early thoughts are it may have fixed it, fingers crossed!!
    Will post again this afternoon, for anyone else having poor battery life please give this a go and let me know if it improves for you.
    Cheers,
    Wayne
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Well after security wipe and reload of software it seems to have fixed the problem. I spoke to RIM tech support and they also said that a full 6-8 hour charge with playbook switched off a couple of times would also help to re-calibrate the battery. Hope this helps anyone else having similar problems.
    Thanks to all those who provided input on this issue
    Wayne
    Thanked by:
    chadwick777 (02-21-2013) 
    bungaboy and chadwick777 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Thanks, Wayne

I updated both my 16Gb and my 64Gb. The 16Gb has been fine, but my 64Gb plummeted to an alarming 40% after an hour and a half in standby. I forgot about it, and when I next remembered, the battery had discharged to a level where it wouldn't function, even when on charge. Seems to be okay now after being powered off and on again and left on the charging cradle, but I might give this approach a try if the battery shows such a sharp decline again.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    Ozfork likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Sorry to hear about the problems. I updated sunday and have no issues at all. Actually I really like this particular update, as my PB runs much faster now. Apps open faster and I do not have annoying lags when typing on the keyboard anymore.

As noted above, I had held off updating the 64gig. Yesterday afternoon I decided it was time. I had some errands and started it. Came home and completed the restart. It remained on the charger until bedtime when it was 100%. It was an 8 hour overnight interval and this morning it was at 97% which seems reasonable. Wifi and BT were both left ON as I always do. Only thing actively running was Battery Guru. My bridged bbphone turns off overnight and covered about 7 of those hours.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Same battery drain problem here. Thought I'd somehow wrecked the battery.
    Seeing as the only way to fix, reported by those experiencing the problem first-hand (not those just hypothesising), is the security wipe and update I am now in the process of doing just that.
    Hope to see the same results as the guys above me, resuming my ordinary playbook battery life, prior to update.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

I thought I'd do a bit more on evaluating battery drain with my PlayBook - since I mostly tend to have it on some form of charger, unless I'm travelling around, or watching something where I have the headphones plugged in (use a 360 case tablet / stand).

And in comparison, I have a couple of 10" Android tablets to compare their battery drain.

From the outset, I've always found that the PlayBook seems to show more battery drain than my Android tablets when actually using it on battery - ie watching video, listening to music, using email and browser, but when in standby, seemingly very similar to my Android tablets - and given they turn off WiFi in standby, and the PlayBook doesn't, and I have my email constantly sync, that was a little surprising.

Anyways, hearing about people occasionally doing a full battery drain, on the premise that it kind of "resets" the battery status in terms of charging, I thought I'd leave my PlayBook for a couple of days without plugging into a power source. I hadn't actually used it much at all over those days - which is unusual, but it was something of an experiment - and as I said, I leave the WiFi in it's default state in standby (I don't bother manually turning it off, or using airplane mode), and as I said, my email syncs all the time with it.

When I looked, after 2 or 3 days, expecting to notice a fair amount of drain in the battery charge - I was pretty surprised, the charge was a lot higher than I expected - somewhere around 85% I think it was. Given I have other tablets devices to compare it with, that attempt to be more economical in standby (by merit of turning off WiFi automatically) I was expecting it to be a lot lower - at least below half.

I also haven't noticed any apparent change in battery usage or drain since applying .1526.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Default Re: PlayBook battery drain after latest OS update 2.1.0.1526

Calculating from 20 watt-hours in full charge a 15% decrease in 48 hours gives an average power of 0.063 watts Quite low with wi-fi on.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Calculating from 20 watt-hours in full charge a 15% decrease in 48 hours gives an average power of 0.063 watts Quite low with wi-fi on.
    The one thing that was slightly untypical for me in this scenario, was that it was within about a foot / foot and a half of my main WiFi router (edit: that wasn't on purpose, it was more an accidental coincidence). Normally, when I'm at home, it would be plugged-in, in my bedroom.

I guess the radio wouldn't have to work hard at all for WiFi connectivity.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Just woke mine out of standby and it was at .09. All connections on.
    Whats strange with our PB's is the increase in consumption when we wake up. I can see from the Battery Guru graph, a level line. At the same time we wake up I start getting small spikes and that last all day until we go to bed. Both PlayBooks are mapped on the PC and the PC stays on all the time.
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

My playbook (bought this year in February) has never been particularly good battery-wise. Overnight, in flight mode, and with only the music player open (but inactive) it went from 39% to 25% in the space of approximately 8 hours. Is this normal?
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (02-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

I got the issue as well, not exactly after the update but later when I did some changes with email settings. Unfortunately don't remember what I did exactly.
    When the huge drain appeared, no matter what tuning was done with the settings, nothing was helping to get the normal draining of the battery back. Yesterday removed my accounts, as well the bridge link and back to normal.

I guess should wait for the next update the issue to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    Ozfork (03-04-2013) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast