A friend of mine just called, his PlayBook failed to backup Application Data (2.03GB) via the Desktop Manager (via the Custom setting), at the very end of the backup process. So I decided to give it a try myself, and ended up with the exact same error at the very end of the backup process:

------------------------------------------------------------
    There was an error backing up.

There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on a connected.

I successfully performed a full backup on April 24th (App Data = 1.52GB), so I suspect the issue is with the current version (1.0.3.1868). Is this a known issue?
    Last edited by q649; 05-23-11 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Typo fix
    05-23-11 05:49 PM
    It is known to RIM. I sent in a couple of support request and they responded within 24 hours. Had me send in the logs and they responded that it was an issue.

Have you put in a support request also?

Free 90 Day Complimentary Support

PlayBook Technical Support Phone Number - PlayBook Help Phone

I would suggest you do.

Tim
    05-23-11 06:37 PM
    Same issue....anyone? Bueller?

Nevermind...thank you trsbbs.
    Last edited by Uncle Remus; 05-23-11 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Slow...
    05-23-11 06:39 PM
    I have the same problem. When I select only Settings and it will back that up OK. When I select Application Data is goes to 99% and then has the same message as you. I don't backup Media. Like you this has occurred since the last software update.
    05-23-11 06:42 PM
    I have had this issue as well. The backup failed part way through. It must be in the applications because on a subsequent attempt a custom backup was successful for the smaller files.
    05-23-11 06:44 PM
    Same here, and then on the 2nd try it works... never thought to register a report cuz I just didn't have time and it seemed to work the 2nd time around... figured it was a glitch somewhere and should be fix soon enough.
    05-23-11 07:00 PM
    I also use the Custom settings. I have 859MB and 47 entries, so maybe there is a limitation on the amount of data. Or perhaps there is an app that is hanging up the process. I turned off bluetooth and wifi, but that didn't help.
    05-23-11 07:01 PM
    some people will be quick to say they would rather have rim take their time with an update. giving people the ability to backup successfully should be fixed immediately no excuses! some functionality we should not have to wait for!
    05-23-11 07:19 PM
    No back-up of Application data on 2 PlayBooks here. What bothers me is that the RIM support staff I talked are still saying that they are not aware that this is a problem....
    lgx22 likes this.
    05-23-11 07:43 PM
    I've notified them of the very same problem and sent them copies of log files. So far no response.
    lgx22 likes this.
    05-24-11 05:09 PM
    As posted in another thread RIM support replied to my second ticket on this issue:

"First I would like to address the issue you had contacted us about in the past. I understand that you are unable to create a full backup of your tablet onto your computer. According to the log files that you has sent us in your second ticket you are experiencing an issue that we are aware of and are working toward a solution for. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has cause for you and I do regret to say that I do not have any additional information on this issue at this time. All I can suggest at this point in time is the work around that was described to you earlier. If you perform a custom backup, I highly recommend backing up all data except for your applications. Applications account for the vast majority of used space and they can always be re downloaded. You can expect this issue to be fixed, however I do not have a time frame for when this issue can be expected to be fixed."

In short, sit on it and wait 'til we get around to it.

Tim
    05-24-11 06:58 PM
    A friend of mine just called, his PlayBook failed to backup Application Data (2.03GB) via the Desktop Manager (via the Custom setting), at the very end of the backup process. So I decided to give it a try myself, and ended up with the exact same error at the very end of the backup process:

There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on a connected.

I successfully performed a full backup on April 24th (App Data = 1.52GB), so I suspect the issue is with the current version (1.0.3.1868). Is this a known issue?
    I had a similar problem and I called RIM and they will be having a new updated desktop program soon that should answer a lot of the backup issues. One update will be the ability to backup individual apps, so if an app gives a back up issue you will know which one.
    lgx22 likes this.
    05-24-11 08:29 PM
    Same issue
    05-25-11 12:04 AM
    This is one of those unadvertised features that the Playbook has become famous for. The goal of this feature is to make people frustrated so that they will post comments on forums and call RIM to complain. So with that in mind, this feature has been brilliantly implemented.

OK, sarcasm turned off. I'm like everyone else here, I have been unable to back up after the 95 to 99 percent level. The same error message as was reported by the OP. When I reported this to RIM, I was told that the next update, when available for Desktop Manager - not the playbook itself, would correct this.
    05-25-11 12:29 AM
    I'm having the same problem. At first, I thought it was the datasize, so I deleted the movie clips and MP3s. No luck.. still failed to backup :-(
    05-25-11 11:30 PM
    I had this same problem after the last OS update, but I was able to "fix" it by doing a security wipe and then hook-up to DM via USB while the on/off button was depressed, leading to an OS reinstall and since then have been able to back up to 100%.

Wonderful. Only when you do a restore, which, as I understand it, is why we dutifully back up all the time, the results are far from 100%. As noted above, the apps don't come back (I know, I know, the pending OS update), the screen customization defaults back to factory settings, so you have to re-arrange the icons on your screens and all the bookmarks are gone. The bookmarks don't seem to be saving to the bookmarks folder at all, at least according to the Playbook file manager apps like Air Browser. The bookmarks appear in the PB browser and the custom homescreen bookmarks work fine, its just the bookmark folder under the file managers appear to be empty.

This is where RIM crosses the line and really tests everyone's patience. Its one thing to release a work-in-progress (and an excellent work at that), but not only doesn't this potentially key component not work yet, there is no way to know it until you need it and it craps out on you. Not only are the settings lost (and its not such a big deal yet for me, since I haven't loaded too much on the PB yet, as most of my key stuff is still on the Torch, accessible through the Bridge (which also doesn't restore and must be re-set following a backup-and-restore). So RIM has us mopes going through this essentially useless, time and data-space consuming pointless exercise of dutifully pretending to back up our Playbooks. This is why the fire under RIM has to remain alit and stoked. Its one thing to have less-than-full functionality and its another thing altogether to have the Playbook operating as a time and resource eater.

If its going to take RIM a month to address this known issue, it is incumbent upon RIM to notify Playbook users to save their trouble and to save critical data elsewhere until the fix is in place. Not a minor bug. This is a hornet or wasp-level problem.
    05-26-11 12:04 AM
    So, PB wasn't ready when it hit the market, was it ?

Is RIM using us as their beta testers ?
    lgx22 likes this.
    05-26-11 12:27 AM
    bump any solution? my playbooks getting a bit slow (might be all the apps i loaded and deleted) but back up isnt working the only thing i really want to keep is my need for speed data (cus i beat the game! :]) did anyone find a fix to this yet?

THX!
    08-13-11 08:53 PM

I've had this same issue, and have narrowed it down somewhat since RIM is still 'working on it' while we suffer.
    This all has to do with a corrupt app or app(s).
    I've been trying to narrow them down & have found that if I don't install certain apps, whenever I go into my desktop manager\device options\backup\custom section, then I will have a size listed under the section labeled 'Application Data.' However, once specific applications are installed, for some reason, it wipes away the Desktop Manager's ability to read the amount of application data, so thus it fails at 99%.
    I'm not sure yet if the app(s) in question are actually blowing away the application data completely, or overwriting it so that the desktop manager is unable to read it anymore. Trouble is, I have hundreds of apps that I've downloaded, so the weeding out process will take some time.
    I will list the 'bad apps' under a new thread once I've gone through them all.
    Another strange oddity I've noticed as well:
    Let's say I restore one of my old backups from a week ago, choosing the 'Select device data and settings' from the 'Restore Data from a Backup File' window, I can plainly see that the 'application data' which is part of this full backup file listed 128 entries, with a total of 1.17GB.
    So, I choose that backup, and allowed the Playbook to fully install the full backup. Once it finished, I attempted once again to do a full backup, but found that the Application Data still shows 0 bytes!! Go figure... Now I'm going to wipe this completely, and then load that last full backup.
    As I stated before, I'll start a new thread called 'Bad Apps' once I've compiled my list.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-16-11 02:44 PM
    As I stated before, I'll start a new thread called 'Bad Apps' once I've compiled my list.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'll be watching for this thread as I've run into this a few times as well with my PB. If you look in the DM log you'll see that an application is returning a zero byte size, and that throws the rest of the process off.

I'm curious if just deleting the app is good enough, or if a complete wipe is required to get rid of the bad entry.

Hopefully RIM will get this sorted out by the next update and then we'll be able to backup our PBs once again! Heh, 4 months after launch and we're still dealing with not being able to perform a backup, and people are wondering why we don't have native PIM yet.
    08-16-11 03:17 PM
    3 days ago I tried to do the first backup since I bought this thing in May. You got it - the bad connection error message or only files and settings on a custom backup. I called bb help and opened a case. a couple of days later (after the weekend) tech help picked up the ball. In the end the told me my kludgebook didn't support apps backup. Since I'm replacing it with a tiny laptop soon I'll live with this. Even after giving up.and throwing in the towel, I can' t even prepare to mothball it. the PB is the gift that just keeps on giving
    08-16-11 05:19 PM
    Turns out both BB help and I are wrong
    I did a security wipe because I wanted to see what would clean up after. I tried the first backup before this and that was when I hit the error. BB help said their thing and I took it for truth. I did the security wipe anyway, also to get rid of a stubborn program, LiteFTP, which would not want to delete.
    Wiped the PB, and today, experimenting with loading some videos I converted specificly for the task, I decided to try the full backup. It worked
    I'll buy the theory that bum apps cause it not to backup, as what else do I have to go on. Not BB tech help, that's fur sure.
    08-16-11 06:10 PM
    This thread has been dead for about a month. Has anyone identified anything else? I've posted in thinkofitnow's troubleshooting thread. Is the lack of activity due to people just giving up backing up their Playbooks or because someone found a way to get around this?

I discovered the problem not by doing a backup, but by trying to switch devices (which begins with a full backup). I'm trying to move my data to a new Playbook and don't want to have to install all of my apps again or lose my existing app data.
    09-12-11 11:55 AM
    im patiently waiting for an answer as well hopefully before 2.0 comes in.. i dont want to loose my nfs data!
    09-12-11 11:57 AM
    NOTE: I'm posting my troubleshooting in thinkofitnow's Bad App thread. If a solution is found, I'll post it both there and here to hopefully close out discussion needed for both threads.
    09-12-11 01:09 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD