I bough my PB 32GB on New Years Eve, charged about 17 times, use moderately. Put PB in the leather case for about a week but just took it out today and found out that the PB's back plate is no longer flat. - took a close look and realized that BB logo got swollen up a bit. PB spins it nicely with this bump.....HA

I don't know whether this is something common due to the heat, or only happened to my unit.

Other than this - PB operates normal: wifi response fast after adjusted my router "G" only (not G and N) : even stock browser got faster loading. - made me regret to buy Secure and Simple - although I use Simple exclusive now.

Back to the topic: PB idle with 1.45-1.48W with wifi on (thanks to Battery Guru) - streaming youtube only push up to some where 3w ish...

Any comment welcome ....
    pbmc likes this.
    01-22-12 05:57 PM
    If this is something that has developed over time, then it's not normal.
    01-22-12 06:01 PM
    Send it back!
    01-22-12 06:04 PM
    It's a known issue, call RIM, they should be able to repair or replace it.
    01-22-12 06:17 PM
    There is also a SELF-HELP thread. A guy used a hair dryer to soften the rear, used a pen or similar to press down while warm, held as it cooled and it stayed in place. It might be found under "bulge" in a search.

BUT if yours really has gotten larger (keep it clean folks!), during use then that is probably not a good sign.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    01-22-12 07:03 PM
    Can you take a pic of the thing lying on its face, camera at an angle, with a straight-edge laid across the back to demonstrate how severe the bulge is (by the size of the gap)?
    01-22-12 07:11 PM
    Maybe it is just excited about the OS2 release.

Seriously. Contacting RIM has to be better than trying to fix it yourself. Other threads have said that the CPU is located under the BB symbol so overheating is a real possibility. Contact RIM!

Here is a link to pics from another thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...53/index3.html
    Last edited by braindigger; 01-22-12 at 07:23 PM. Reason: link to pics added
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-22-12 07:20 PM
    Thanks Guys !

I contacted RIM for return - (my wife was not happy me taking too long being on the phone.

So, is this only the cosmetic issue? I don't think it does anything to actual hardware...since my PB stays in the case all the time, so it is not much of the issue, back not being totally flat - but if CPU over heating causing other issues - I really need to repair it.

I cannot live without PB for 7-10 business days....
    01-22-12 09:07 PM
    Mine did this as well. Let me first say Im a tech and have been doing hardware for years. Second, don't do the fix it yourself thing! the bulging on the back is a result of the unit heating up too much and is a hardware fault. Mine was sent back to RIM and it was confirmed to me the unit was exceeding its thermal limits and its board and back casing were replaced.

Don't mess around, get it fixed properly. Only takes a few days.
    pkcable and Willard814 like this.
    01-22-12 09:55 PM
    If it's a very large bulge, or has been growing, most would call it serious... not merely cosmetic.
    01-22-12 09:55 PM
    A pic or scan would help.

Good luck but best would be to call.
    01-22-12 10:33 PM
    It likes You!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-22-12 11:00 PM
    Yap, my PB is going to the shop.. I am going to miss my commuting buddy.

According to the RIM rep, it is the battery leaking issue - it is rather serious than I originally thought. (I was going to put phone book or encyclopedia to flatten it, but like dryer ironing method mentioned above - it wold not work.) And issue being battery related - and being common issue for most of PB owners - I might suspect that this bulge may cause shortening battery life etc - I am not sure.

So, PB is now ready to go, all data being backed up, power turned off, paper work printed up, and attached to the PB.

Anyways, I am really hoping that my PB coming home before OS2's release.

- I will dig this thread up when my PB comes home, and tell you what caused the bulge.

sidenote : I did not know that RIM's customer service / Tech support runs 24/7 ! I am start loving this company.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-22-12 11:45 PM
    That really sucks... I too am curious what it looks like. You able to snap a pic? I've had the Incipio feather case on it since day one so I haven't noticed. It does heat up after being used for a while, think I will take a peek at mine w/o the case.
    01-23-12 12:10 AM
    Both of my Playbooks - 16GB and 32GB - show a slight bulging in the back. Sometimes they do heat up a bit when heavy gaming/multitasking - nothing unbearable, just a bit warm to the touch.

Unfortunately, I'm overseas (Indian Ocean), so the option of sending them back to RIM isn't on the table until at least May/June.

Question: Based on conversations with RIM (for those who have called them), is this a major problem? Am I doomed to an eventual hardware failure? Or is the issue mostly cosmetic? Have others with the bulge noticed any side effects? Reduced battery life? Other random quirks or issues?

Very concerned that, on top of the myriad software issues I've had to endure, I'm also in possession of a pair of hardware lemons...

RCK
    01-23-12 04:35 AM
    Many of us have tablets with slight bulges. If the bulge was always slight, and doesn't change, it's nothing to worry about.

All devices like this should be expected to heat up a bit. The main chips are directly under the rear logo area, so this part should get a little warm. If you are playing CPU-intensive games or otherwise really working the thing, expect it to get close to "hot" there, but it should never get so hot it's uncomfortable to touch with your hand.

A few people have units which have truly overheated (probably feels burning hot), and the bulge grows. RIM has apparently had no problem analyzing that problem over the phone and concluding that those are defective units, and replacing them.
    Jonamse likes this.
    01-23-12 07:50 AM
    Mine had a bulge right out of the box. It's still the same and Battery Guru shows in the history file that the hottest it ever got was 35 degrees Celsius. That is two degrees below human body temperature.
    01-23-12 10:39 AM
    I too noticed a bulge in my original playbook purchased on the release date, so I exchanged it. Unfortunately every single one of the playbooks since has had a minor bulge where the BB logo is. After a few exchanges I just assumed it was cosmetic problem that RIM did not foresee.
    01-24-12 02:04 AM
    Also would like to mention that I received my 64gb playbook today so now I have two with a slight bulge. Like I said must just be something cosmetic.
    01-24-12 02:06 AM
    I got mine (64G) last week and the slight bulge was there out of the box.
    01-24-12 05:18 AM
    I have not touch my PB since Sunday night...start cracking me in pieces !

As peter9477 mentioned, RIM has no problem taking PB back to repair over the phone regards to this issue - it must be common. I now recall one night PB was so hot while I was watching video online - and battery life kept dropping - 80% to 10% in 3 hours: later notice that the corner of PB was just bit popped out from the case - did not pay much attention - since I believe that the PB was sort of heavy duty tablet compare to the others. - maybe that was the time bulge happened - I am not sure...

Mine was flat out of the box: I know this since I always charge my PB on the same spot of the same table. Naked first then in the case.

I wish it was noted somewhere in the owner's manual, addressing heating issue due to the heavy use or with case etc - may cause hardware damage etc. Then I would never put it in the case - always got it out in Naked !

Too late now.... well in bright side - RIM is going to fix mine - so I am good.

In someway - people posted PB gets improved from some issues like power switch risen and heating issue get fixed - so I wish that will happened to mine too.

Reflecting from today's road map 2012 thing -- PB still powerful and beautiful tablet - but I sort of want data connection on the go. (other than bridge of course). IF RIM can do do 3G/4G chipset update with fee upfront (or CPU and memory etc) - just to go green you know - since it is just an motherboard exchange only - well not gonna happen though - but love it if happens !
    01-24-12 02:38 PM
    I wonder if this is more of an issue with the 64GB tablet than the other ones. I have a perfectly flat back on my 16GB, that I have had since 4/18
    01-24-12 03:38 PM
    It's how they "stake" the BB Logo onto the back of the case. NO issue with functionality, or anything else. Just a little to much pressure on the press when they Stake the Logo on.

Carl
    01-24-12 04:07 PM
    BUT if yours really has gotten larger (keep it clean folks!), during use then that is probably not a good sign.

I was actually thinking about the back of the PlayBook, beware people, if you keep your PB's back dirty, it will bulge! (<<=== Not to be taken seriously)

Anyway Back OT :

The other day I was actually thinking about the BB logo to be an ''external heatsink'', these chips doesn't require alot of cooling to begin with, but the PB will heat up, so placing an heatsink that points outwards the back of the PB makes perfect sense.

I, however, do not have any proof to support this thought.
    Last edited by Decile; 01-24-12 at 04:50 PM.
    Jonamse likes this.
    01-24-12 04:46 PM
    I wonder if this is more of an issue with the 64GB tablet than the other ones. I have a perfectly flat back on my 16GB, that I have had since 4/18
    Same thing here. No bulge, raised button, and smoother screen edge on my 16gb. Bulge, recessed button, and slight lip on my 64 that I just got.
    01-24-12 09:29 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD