Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jarviser
  • 1 Post By Len0308
  • 1 Post By jarviser
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook Apps World has frozen on a blank screen that says "installed"

Newb here, just started with my Playbook and something wacky has happened with my Playbook. Went to download an app, and after it downloaded, the app world won't let me back to the normal page where it has the tabs at the top with "Featured" and "Games" and "Apps" and "My World". All it says is "installed" at the very top of the page, has nothing in the body of the page. No header, no tabs, nothing. No way of getting back to the main page, no nothing.....drrr. Tried soft reboot, tried hard reboot. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,

Soapy
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Go to the broswer --> settings --> privacy and security and tap on clear all. If this doesn't work either then I can't think of anything else but wiping the PB.

What happens when you try the various reboot/restart options? What app was it? Does the pb restart but appworld is still bunged up or does it not even restart?

Have you tried all of these?

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

If those don't work you might contact rim 24/7 (and Canada is not celebrating US Thanksgiving!)

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts

I agree with Dave, since it is a brand new pb you really have nothing to lose by wiping it, good luck!
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Hey thanks F2 for the reply. Have tried the first and third shut down operations already. That hasn't worked. What happens is that the Playbook is fully functional in all other operations. What happened was the Playbook is a full 5 days old. The only app that was downloaded (other than what already came with the playbook) was Mah-Jong. She thinks that the screen appeared after downloading the Mah-Jong, and it loaded correctly and showed up on her main screen, but in App World it stayed on a blank blueish/purplish background screen with the words "installed" on the upper left part of the page. The person using it had gone to the drop down box (the one from above) to update payment options and then thinks maybe she left it dropped down without going into it, then (perhaps, because she's not sure....) may have just minimized the window without going any further on that page. Then when she went back to it later, it is frozen on this page, no other options are available, no tabs to change the page, no nothing except the drop down menu from above. Might have to give the the tech support a try here, unless you have any other suggestions, 'cause I'm willing to try anything

Soapstop
    CrackBerry Abuser

Debrick the Playbook. It will definitely fix it.

Switch of the playbook. Connect it to the computer, open pc suite. Then click on update.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hello,

I picked up a demo playbook from my work today (loving my z10 so thought I would give it a whirl) and I am having a similar problem to this. When I first opened the App World it said I needed to do an upgrade. I clicked on upgrade and it froze on the same purplish screen. The rest of the playbook is fully functional.

So far I have restarted both hard and soft; done a full security wipe, and gone into desktop manager and completed reloaded the OS. While reloading in desktop manager did get it to open once more I was unable to get past the upgrade screen and upgrading led me to the same frozen screen issue.

Did you find any solutions for this problem?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Here is a picture of the screen it is stuck on.
    Playbook Apps World has frozen on a blank screen that says "installed"-img_00000002.jpg
    Last edited by Len0308; 08-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.

You created a valid BBID? You mentioned it was a Demo? What does that mean? Do you know how old it is and if there might still be a warranty?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I did, I used the same BBID as I use on my Z10.
    I work at a Rogers dealer store, so this unit was on display for about a year.
    I don't have any issues with any other functionality.
    So far as I know the warranty is expired.

Any ideas? Thanks.

And you have WIFI? Appworld (bbworld) needs wifi and does not work without it.

You mentioned the upgrading through Desktop Software did not "complete" or allow you to complete??? Did you get through that? Could the DEMO have been locked or limited in its abilities? Is this a wifi-only version or the cellular version?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have the 4G LTE version. I'm only using it on Wifi right now. The wifi is working and I can load everything else (browser, youtube, email). It was locked into a retail mode, however, I had the codes to unlock it and restored it to the default settings (pre-demo mode).

Quote Originally Posted by Len0308 View Post
    I have the 4G LTE version. I'm only using it on Wifi right now. The wifi is working and I can load everything else (browser, youtube, email). It was locked into a retail mode, however, I had the codes to unlock it and restored it to the default settings (pre-demo mode).
    I know NOTHING about the LTE version. Does it have a data plan? Does it even need it?

Do you know anyone with a pb who might be willing to "lend" you their BBID for a test? Obviously, you'd have to so another security wipe. You could see if appworld shows up and allows you to grab what would then be "UNinstalled" apps in appworld (now called Blackberry world)
    CrackBerry Newbie

It doesn't have a data plan, but as far as I know it shouldn't need one. The wifi only and LTE model run the same software, it's only the hardware that's different. At least that's my understanding of it. I have a friend that I can ask about the BBID. What would the benefit of seeing the uninstalled apps be?
    Last edited by Len0308; 08-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Len0308 View Post
    It doesn't have a data plan, but as far as I know it shouldn't need one. The wifi only and LTE model run the same software, it's only the hardware that's different. At least that's my understanding of it. I have a friend that I can ask about the BBID. What would the benefit of seeing the uninstalled apps be?
    It was more an experimental control to see if having a different bbid might change the outcome.

So wifi is working for the browser and email?

Can you call BB for support, ahem, as a dealer, ahem, trying to sell this model?

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les Téléphones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry® Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Gebührenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

help@blackberry.com

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    CrackBerry Abuser

This problem has been reported before and I did a bit of analysis of the various threads.
    Lte and 3G+ PlayBooks without a data plan are stuck on 2.0 thanks to blackberry's serial number vs carrier database.
    Recently these unfortunate playbooks have received a bogus update to app world (note, not bb world)
    Then app world sticks.

Until BB either withdraw the bogus update, or allow updates to 2.1 for unlocked lte and 3g playbooks with no sim, this problem cannot currently be overcome.
    App World not working
    Unlocked PlayBooks should never have been sold but they were. Eg Misco sold unlocked 3g+ plsybooks in uk. (they were also given away in goodie bags to some jam attendees)
    Last edited by jarviser; 08-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    F2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jarviser View Post
    This problem has been reported before and I did a bit of analysis of the various threads.
    Lte and 3G+ PlayBooks without a data plan are stuck on 2.0 thanks to blackberry's serial number vs carrier database.
    Recently these unfortunate playbooks have received a bogus update to app world (note, not bb world)
    Then app world sticks.

Until BB either withdraw the bogus update, or allow updates to 2.1 for unlocked lte and 3g playbooks with no sim, this problem cannot currently be overcome.
    App World not working
    Unlocked PlayBooks should never have been sold (they were also given away in goodie bags to some jam attendees)
    Well, I "like" the info but the info SUCKS!

If a person grabs a data plan would that fix things? What about getting one for a day or a month?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks for all the help!

I went and set it up on a cheap monthly plan and it instantly updated to 2.1. Everything is running great now, and the app world updated to BlackBerry world. Little disappointed that it needed the plan, and that blackberry didn't carry over data from apps I have on both platforms.

I will let you know after I cancel the plan if it reverts or freezes again.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help and the quick replies.
    F2 likes this.

Yes, do report back. And if you remove the plan, do NOT look for any more updates!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I suspect the data plan would need to be with the guys with the white hats (Rogers, Verizon.??) Not all will work, like the guy from Russia in the referenced thread. Would be a pity to lash out typically 15 quid here for no result. Folk who successfully clear this using a sim could name their plan provider to assist others ( if CB is still in that business...)
    F2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I used a Rogers SIM Card to activate my playbook LTE. As soon as I put the SIm Card in I was prompted to update to 2.1 and haven't had any problems since. I've since pulled out the SIm card and stopped doing updates. So as long as Blackberry doesn't push anything new out I wont be missing anything by not having an active sim. The experiment was worthwhile as I can actually use my playbook now, but for those who are interested in going this route, You're looking at paying just under $30.00 by the time it is said and done.

$5.00 monthly service fee + tax for two months, the month you activate the account and the month following your call to activate and a $15.00 connection fee + tax.
    CrackBerry User

Had exactly the same problem with LTE PlayBook today, will try a data sim and see if it updates fully (am on Verizon with Torch 9850)