Yesterday I had to take a visit to my local Apple Store to replace my iPhone due to a soundboard problem (as an aside I had epic service from them!)

While there a the employee helping me noticed my Playbook, thinking it was an iPad mini they asked what I thought about the mini and how I was getting on with it. I informed them it wasn't a. iPad but in fact a BlackBerry Playbook and that I loved it and it does all that I need it too although the lack of apps is a little frustrating at times.

She was surprised that BlackBerry did a tablet computer, but still took a look at it and had a go, connected it to the stores wifi and did a bit of Internet surfing. She loved and and decided that at lunchtime she would be popping out to Carphone Warehouse to get a 64g version as her everyday workhorse tablet!

She commented that she liked the weight of it, it felt sturdier than the iPad and loved the camera on it as well as the general slickness of it.

So I have officially managed to sell ice to the Eskimos!

Hope she's enjoying her new Playbook!
    11-07-12 05:04 AM
    This has to be a bull story... you expect us to believe an Apple product had to go in for repairs??!!
    11-07-12 06:20 AM
    The Trojan Horse is through the gates. Well played.
    11-07-12 06:27 AM
    Great story!!
    11-07-12 06:46 AM

so i have officially managed to sell ice to the eskimos!

Hope she's enjoying her new playbook!
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    11-07-12 07:25 AM
    This has to be a bull story... you expect us to believe an Apple product had to go in for repairs??!!
    Technically it didn't go in for repairs...I came out with a new iPhone ;-)
    11-07-12 07:58 AM
    The Trojan Horse is through the gates. Well played.
    I plan on taking down Apple, one employee at a time ;-)
    jl_06, MTL, BigAl_BB9900 and 6 others like this.
    11-07-12 07:59 AM
    this teaches us one thing: Blackberry marketing is horrible.
    99% of the human kind didn't know about the playbook.
    11-07-12 08:05 AM
    Actually yes, I think that is the biggest lesson, RIM marketing of the product is terrible
    Lhendr, christenmartin and ajst222 like this.
    11-07-12 08:13 AM
    Can I help?
    11-07-12 08:28 AM
    Some people just like tech and variety and can see pros and cons in everything. Wish there were more of those and less rampant fanboys
    middbrew, Wongsky and thedark722 like this.
    11-07-12 08:30 AM
    Agreed. While most advertise their products for weeks before launch, RIM usually only advertises weeks AFTER launch. And some times they rely completely on partners to do it.

But then again... We didn't have a CMO. We do now. I would expect to see some heavy BB10 activity going I. The media by late December (or rather, 3 weeks prior to launch, if we're not looking at the Jan/13 milestone).

OP, I wish I had an iOS device now... Just so I could try this myself at the local Apple store. Hehe
    11-07-12 08:33 AM
    Can I help?
    To be fair to Apple, I had hoofing service from them yesterday, no questions, iPhone replaced straight away at no cost. They do their thing well.

I think RubberChicken has it right though, real tech people like variety and see pros and cons in everything whereas the rampant fanboys will disrespect everything that isn't Apple regardless of if the other product is better.
    diegonei, middbrew and 00stryder like this.
    11-07-12 08:39 AM
    Yesterday I had to take a visit to my local Apple Store to replace my iPhone due to a soundboard problem (as an aside I had epic service from them!)

While there a the employee helping me noticed my Playbook, thinking it was an iPad mini they asked what I thought about the mini and how I was getting on with it. I informed them it wasn't a. iPad but in fact a BlackBerry Playbook and that I loved it and it does all that I need it too although the lack of apps is a little frustrating at times.

She was surprised that BlackBerry did a tablet computer, but still took a look at it and had a go, connected it to the stores wifi and did a bit of Internet surfing. She loved and and decided that at lunchtime she would be popping out to Carphone Warehouse to get a 64g version as her everyday workhorse tablet!

She commented that she liked the weight of it, it felt sturdier than the iPad and loved the camera on it as well as the general slickness of it.

Great job.. I will throw a huge party the day Apple files for bankruptcy.... I am pretty sure of it and have already started saving money... I will invite you to the party if you get rid of that iPhone and buy a BB10 after it is released...
    11-07-12 08:58 AM
    Great job.. I will throw a huge party the day Apple files for bankruptcy.... I am pretty sure of it and have already started saving money... I will invite you to the party if you get rid of that iPhone and buy a BB10 after it is released...
    I'm afraid by the time I can get rid of my iPhone. BB12 will be out ;-)

I do actually like my iphone, but it is for personal use whereas the bb is for the professional use and does it well. My PlayBook is a workhorse and is used everyday!
    11-07-12 09:29 AM
    hmm...

Some people just like tech and variety and can see pros and cons in everything. Wish there were more of those and less rampant fanboys
    Sounds like that might of been directed towards me, since it was coincidentally posted right after me. IF it was... I am a Blackberry fan and this is a Blackberry forum. I was poking fun along with the OP at a company that I really can't stand for a bunch of reasons other than just simply their devices. That does'nt make me a " fanboy". don't see anything wrong with poking fun at the other guys anyways, whoever that may be. I like many things about the other platforms, just simply not crazy over Apple. As you can see I am not crazy about that derogatory term "fanboy" either.
    11-07-12 09:52 AM
    Spitneek: in the armed forces and football it's called banter, nothing wrong with it at all as long as it remains fun.

Myself and my good friend take the mickey out of other for numerous things not least the fact that he has more Apple kit than the local store and I like my PB. We also take the mickey because he's army cadet staff and I'm Royal Marine Cadet staff, he thinks he's better I know otherwise ;-)

It's all part of the game, all good fun :-)
    11-07-12 09:59 AM

I hope she won't be using her new "workhorse" while at work. I'm pretty sure they'd frown upon that and she may not have a job for long.
    11-07-12 10:11 AM
    I hope she does use it in work even if its just for a laugh.

Ironically she has worked in Apple since the store opened in the city a few years ago now, I sat next to her in both rounds of interviews. She got the job I didn't!
    11-07-12 10:21 AM
    Spitneek: in the armed forces and football it's called banter, nothing wrong with it at all as long as it remains fun.

Myself and my good friend take the mickey out of other for numerous things not least the fact that he has more Apple kit than the local store and I like my PB. We also take the mickey because he's army cadet staff and I'm Royal Marine Cadet staff, he thinks he's better I know otherwise ;-)

It's all part of the game, all good fun :-)
    Oh I perfectly understand, I am not the uptight type, my reply to your post was just that, fun. I have tons of friends with Apple products and we're constantly poking fun at each other. And by the way YOU started it Army and marines, ya? I can just imagine the fun you guys have.
    There really was'nt THAT much offense taken anyways, just really don't like that term "fanboy" period. And your opening post is a neat story, fodder for the next bantering session with my Ifriends
    11-07-12 10:32 AM
    I don't think RIM ever really intended to market the Playbook to any great degree.

The more I look at it the more I see similarities with Microsoft's Zune. Decent Hardware, decent software but late to the game. The company knows this so basically pushes it out to fill the gap (the markets expect) and test the waters. Doesn't really draw too much attention to it because it's better to have a product fail and no one know about it than do a big splurge and fall flat on your face.

Essentially we are all part of a big constant beta/prototype programme.
    pungster likes this.
    11-07-12 10:41 AM
    Sputneek: na I know where you were coming from :-)

Believe me when the army and bootnecks get together, even the cadet forces versions one of two things will happen. Fight or drink one another under the table ;-)
    11-07-12 10:42 AM
    Sounds like that might of been directed towards me, since it was coincidentally posted right after me.
    It wasn't. It was a comment on the Apple employee.
    11-07-12 10:46 AM
    It wasn't. It was a comment on the Apple employee.
    Well, that's nice to hear and I'm sorry if my little rant caused you any aggravation
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    11-07-12 11:12 AM
    That's what my husband says

Jessica
    LMBO!!!!!
    11-07-12 01:40 PM
68 123