No problems here really...
    05-13-12 08:08 AM
    The few 'problems' i have experienced have usually turned out to be user error or just something in the settings. Lol,

I've had my pb since Christmas and no issues. My brother-in-law had a brief couple of hours where he couldn't connect to his internet after the last update but a quick deleting of the profile and re-adding it and he was good to go.

Like ppl say - a lot of ppl are here because they come across an issue. They are certainly not the majority.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-13-12 08:17 AM
    FYI user forums typically represent less than 14% of any actual user base.

Moral to the story...most of us are not here and don't need to be.

Just too busy using our PlayBooks.
    But this 14% are rim diehard
    05-13-12 08:57 AM
    I've had mine since last September and the only issue I ever had was the problem some of us were experiencing backing up App Data. After 2.0 resolved that, it's been smooth sailing.

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking for a stylus. The sales guy asked what kind of tablet I had and when I said "Playbook" he said "Really??" and then he asked how I liked it. When I told him I absolutely loved it, his response again was "Really??". He was shocked at my answer. I'm guessing he's probably never even tried one beyond the sign in screen that seems to be permanently on the display model. I'm hoping I at least made him curious enuff to check it out.
    Marty_LK, kbz1960 and ast_ph like this.
    05-13-12 10:53 AM
    Lol just re read your post and the whats up app I wanted but forgot the name of. Just bought it and it should come in handy at the cottage next weekend tetherd to my phone.
    Hey Gatmyer,

"What's Up" works WITHOUT wifi or bridge. It is a standalone app. Plus, the developer of What's Up is quite an avid follower of these forums and responds quite quickly to questions posted here.

Enjoy at the cottage!!!
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-14-12 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Change "with" to "without" (sorry)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-13-12 11:04 AM
    I've had mine since last September and the only issue I ever had was the problem some of us were experiencing backing up App Data. After 2.0 resolved that, it's been smooth sailing.

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking for a stylus. The sales guy asked what kind of tablet I had and when I said "Playbook" he said "Really??" and then he asked how I liked it. When I told him I absolutely loved it, his response again was "Really??". He was shocked at my answer. I'm guessing he's probably never even tried one beyond the sign in screen that seems to be permanently on the display model. I'm hoping I at least made him curious enuff to check it out.
    No doubt... when I was first talking about getting one, my girlfriend went to Worst Buy and asked about the PB, and the sales troll tried his damned best to talk her into getting anything else but. Fortunately she didn't buy anything from there, and now that I have a PB she loves a lot of the stuff it can do.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-13-12 11:22 AM
    I have had mine for about 9 months. No problems. It has also given me the ability to cut back on traveling with a laptop. The only thing I miss is the abiity to pull files off a thumb drive I have carried. Working on that with the box.com app
    05-13-12 07:47 PM
    I have had mine for about 9 months. No problems. It has also given me the ability to cut back on traveling with a laptop. The only thing I miss is the abiity to pull files off a thumb drive I have carried. Working on that with the box.com app
    dropbox is great. overall was a steal at $299CAN.I must've spent $100 in apps. I feel no need for android or ipad tablets. I am so used to swipe gesutures on playbook that operating ipad feels so 80s with home button. finally playbook and blackberry phone work so well together. it would be hard for me to switch from playbook

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-13-12 09:04 PM
    I've had mine for about a month and I love it! Much better than the Kobo Vox I've been struggling with since last Xmas.

The hardware is robust and reliable and the build quality is excellent. I use it mainly as an eReader running Overdrive which unfortunately hangs and requires a re-boot occasionally but that's about it.

A great piece of kit at a great price! I can't believe all the stuff it can do for $200!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-13-12 10:40 PM
    I've had few if any problems with my Playbook. For what it cost it works very well. I expect it to. However I would add that
    1 - there are things I feel it should have that it still lacks (check out the post called message to RIM, requests, several things I'd like are on there and some are pretty basic). I hope these get added, that would really make the Playbook rock.

2 - this is a forum where people come to find help - of course they are going to post up problems and they should continue doing so. Several people did have problems, had to return their units, or found help to fix whatever was "amiss with their Playbook" and that isn't a bad thing. If one person has a problem chances are others do too. Relatively few people visit forums to extol the fact that their device works... because it's supposed to work and work properly.

3 - It's an excellent price (price is the reason many actually bought it). Because of the price people are (or were) willing to forgo certain things that should work better or should be available - but let's not forget the Playbook's price was slashed because it wouldn't sell at the much higher price of $500 plus. Which means that RIM needs to sell a lot more, resign itself to the PB being positioned in the lower end of the market or increase the price. If they have an opportunity to increase the price they would be crazy not to - the risk is having got accustomed to it being bargain basement, people will think twice about paying a lot more for their amazing Playbook.
    05-13-12 11:53 PM
    I am about six months in now and you can mark me down as a very satisfied owner.

The marked down price was what drew me in. I already owned a bold 9900, so the bridge was also a major factor. However, I said there was no way I would pay 500+ for a tablet. I already had a laptop. When the price dropped to 249 (32 gig) I figured it was worth the coin.

I remember the first day I walked into work, the playbook hooked up with the wireless instantly. I guess it picked up the settings from the bold. Amazing.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-14-12 12:09 AM
    mine has been fine also.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease....or something
    05-14-12 03:57 AM
    Ditto for all the good things that people have said about the Playbook. I cannot add any more to what has already been said.
    05-14-12 06:03 AM
    You may not have any problems and when you come here see alot of posts made by people with problems so what does that mean? People with problems go to the people hospital not the animal hospital or car repairman. Android go to android sites, apples go to their sauce and blackberries come here. Because I occasionally find my PB not functioning I come here to figure it out. I still like my PB too. When it's sick It needs fixing. I am still happy with my choice and would buy it again. This is the main watering hole for the BlackBerry family and I like it. When I see these folks post their problems I sometimes look for answers in the archives to help them, I have not gotten as helpful as I would like. Glad some people have no problems
    05-14-12 06:15 AM
    No problems with my PB since purchasing it October last year. An amazing device, much more portable than the iPad (have one of those, too), and the gestures provide a much better UI experience than with the iPad. I rarely use the power button, so haven't run into any problems with that. WiFi is great and doesn't cause a huge battery drain. Would get rid of the iPad, except I cannot get the aviation apps that I need to fly with on it, and the app developers for these products don't want to develop for the PB.
    05-14-12 06:48 AM
    I love my Playbook, not a single issue since purchase on release day, and paired with 9930 its the finest combo available.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-14-12 12:55 PM
    Its a forum, generally people come here for help with problems.

If some alien came to earth and stuck his head in a hospital he would leave with the impression that the human body is a heck of a failure in terms of design...

I'm sure people are aware that when you turn on any device and it works it shouldn't be 'post worthy'
    Ben1232 likes this.
    05-14-12 02:13 PM
    Its a forum, generally people come here for help with problems.

If some alien came to earth and stuck his head in a hospital he would leave with the impression that the human body is a heck of a failure in terms of design...

I'm sure people are aware that when you turn on any device and it works it shouldn't be 'post worthy'
    I like your alien analogy�thats a good one, and yes they would.
    05-14-12 02:18 PM
    Among family and friends we own 10 PlayBooks. Bought in various prices fro $600 all the way to $200. They all love the PlayBook. I use it all the time. My mom connect it to our big screen TV to watch movie online. I'm ordering two keyboards case and they are in back order. I'm patiently waiting.
    mud314 likes this.
    05-14-12 02:51 PM
    My only issue so far is with the GPS and the last small update that came along. That update seems to have really slowed down the PB, not going to blame the PB's hardware as much as I will blame the OS since not much else has changed as far as apps go.

The GPS on this device though is a freaking joke, it will work once in a while and then I'm always placed about 2 miles away from where I actually am located. The only reason I don't really complain to RIM about it is because I would not use it as a GPS anyways, not sure there are many apps for it either for GPS voice guidance.
    05-14-12 03:44 PM
    Among family and friends we own 10 PlayBooks. Bought in various prices fro $600 all the way to $200. They all love the PlayBook. I use it all the time. My mom connect it to our big screen TV to watch movie online. I'm ordering two keyboards case and they are in back order. I'm patiently waiting.
    I gotta say connecting this device to the TV via HDMI is pretty cool. Played a couple of games on my big screen for a bit then watched a few TV shows w/no issue.
    05-14-12 03:46 PM
    My only issue so far is with the GPS and the last small update that came along. That update seems to have really slowed down the PB, not going to blame the PB's hardware as much as I will blame the OS since not much else has changed as far as apps go.

The GPS on this device though is a freaking joke, it will work once in a while and then I'm always placed about 2 miles away from where I actually am located. The only reason I don't really complain to RIM about it is because I would not use it as a GPS anyways, not sure there are many apps for it either for GPS voice guidance.
    The GPS on the PB is amazing. Try this: download the astronomy app "What's Up" from AppWorld, it has no problem find my location within 10 feet in less than a minute, and that's here in my living room. It doesn't need either wifi or the bridge.

Or try Bing Maps. It finds my location using the PB's built-in GPS quite quickly, shows me a map of where I am whether I'm on wifi or using the bridge, and it quickly provides me with walking or driving directions.

Mr. or Ms. XQZU, please don't make a sweeping statement like "the gps on the PB is a joke" and "the last update really slowed it down". Most of us here know that is not true and you have been busted. Why can't you get your GPS to work on your PB? I have no idea. But for you to post a rude and ignorant remark like that shows your true colours. If you actually wanted to find a solution, you would need to post the issue as a question and clarify exactly what is going wrong and in what circumstances. Given you didn't, it tells me you are here more to stir the pot than to seek a solution.
    05-14-12 08:03 PM
    PB rules. I can see owning it and using it for a very long time. Unlike other companies products who 'upgrade' every year or so the playbook has continued to show amazing improvements since they released it. The playbook is like the OP said, amazing, and its only going to get better.
    05-15-12 01:22 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD