I know this question has been asked many times on the forums, and the solution had worked with my old non 4G PlayBook, but for one reason or another I'm finding it impossible to do it with the 4G version.

I live in the UAE, and so don't have access to the video chat app etc, and I'm unable to update the software by getting my PlayBook 4G to think its in the US. Methods I've tried so far:

* Free US proxies
    * Premium US proxy (with a username and password)
    * Updating the software via DM on a PC that's connected to a US VPN
    * Updating the software on the PlayBook by connecting the device to a hotspot also connected to a US VPN
    * Connecting the PlayBook to a US VPN directly

I've verified the IP address on the PlayBook, although it's showing me a US IP address, the device still says there are no software updates available!!!!!

I'm hopeless at this point, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light onto what's going on? Does RIM associate certain PINs with certain locations? With my old PlayBook, all I needed was connect it through a US proxy and voila.
    09-21-12 09:43 AM
    What software version do you have right now?
    09-21-12 01:09 PM
    You might not be able to get the 4G PlayBook to think it's in the United States because RIM hasn't released it in the States yet. Just a thought.
    09-21-12 01:55 PM
    Ok, so will try a Canadian proxy
    09-21-12 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD