My BB is on a Rogers plan, the 6GB one. I don't know if that covers tethering or if I'd have to add to the plan to use the playbook on it. It would be a bonus if I could use it with the phone, but not necessary enough to pay extra on my monthly plan.

We also have an iPad but there are times like now when I am typing and want a real keyboard, currently typing on the oldest laptop in the universe and I expect it to blow up any day. If the playbook with keyboard will work well, I will skip getting a new netbook and order that.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook with physical keyboard and mouse makes a great netbook computer replacement. If storage is a concern, you can sign-up with Box.net from the tablet and get 50GB free storage; alternatively, you could buy a Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi External Hard Drive for use with the tablet. Additionally, you can store files on the microSD of your BlackBerry smartphone and access them from the tablet via BlackBerry Bridge. If you intend to use the BlackBerry PlayBook as a replacement for your primary computer, I recommend the 64GB model especially if you will not be using a cloud storage service or external hard drive. Caution: Only WiFi-enabled external hard drives are accessible from the BlackBerry PlayBook unless the hard drive is connected to the LAN and you use an application such as GhostCommander (an Android application that runs within the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem of the tablet). in short, you have many options when choosing to use the BlackBerry PlayBook. As for tethering, contact your wireless carrier to determine whether it is part of your existing service; I think AT&T is the only wireless carrier actively blocking tethering unless you pay extra monthly fee. My data plan includes tethering so I cannot verify whether it would work on a data plan that does not include it already.
    bungaboy, Symeonify, rshew and 1 others like this.
    09-18-12 09:08 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook with physical keyboard and mouse makes a great netbook computer replacement. If storage is a concern, you can sign-up with Box.net from the tablet and get 50GB free storage; alternatively, you could buy a Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi External Hard Drive for use with the tablet. Additionally, you can store files on the microSD of your BlackBerry smartphone and access them from the tablet via BlackBerry Bridge. If you intend to use the BlackBerry PlayBook as a replacement for your primary computer, I recommend the 64GB model especially if you will not be using a cloud storage service or external hard drive. Caution: Only WiFi-enabled external hard drives are accessible from the BlackBerry PlayBook unless the hard drive is connected to the LAN and you use an application such as GhostCommander (an Android application that runs within the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem of the tablet). in short, you have many options when choosing to use the BlackBerry PlayBook. As for tethering, contact your wireless carrier to determine whether it is part of your existing service; I think AT&T is the only wireless carrier actively blocking tethering unless you pay extra monthly fee. My data plan includes tethering so I cannot verify whether it would work on a data plan that does not include it already.
    An excellent and most helpful post. Thank you.
    DC506 likes this.
    09-18-12 09:30 AM
    Thank you very much for your advice! There is a $50 difference between the 32 and 64GB versions, maybe I will save that for online storage or a wireless EHD that all of my devices can share. So tired of having all my photos, files and music in different places!

I use the iPad a lot, so storage accessible from both the iPad and playbook would be ideal.
    09-18-12 09:47 AM
    went to staples in my area and pre ordered the 32gb $118. Sale ends today; Sept 18
    09-18-12 06:11 PM
    WOW Awesome deal. I just bought at 32 gig from the Source with a leather sleeve for $149. I thought that was an incredible deal. Maybe not LOL. Though I am happy with it.
    09-18-12 07:13 PM
    Thought this was an opportunity to upgrade from my 16gb and get some early xmas gifts.
    Got one from Walmart and Staples for 118 online.
    >> I just happened to refresh the screen at the right time I guess and those 2 sites released stock - they went quick mind you.
    I also got The Source to pricematch on the phone with the 118 price as was recommended earlier in the thread. That was on Monday. Tues, they seem to have gotten wise and now include the leather pouch at Source.. so a price match isn;t the same thing now as the pouch is thrown in.

Still the leather pouch is nice - Ive seen it - and 150 for that bundle is still a good buy.
    Also the Source is the best place Ive ever dealt with for shipping. I ordered it on Mon nite, and by 11am the next day I was called to pick it up. THEN I got the confirmation email from Souce saying that they shipped it. Bit of a time warp there. lol
    09-19-12 07:25 PM
    Deleted by me
    Last edited by balding1; 09-19-12 at 07:41 PM.
    09-19-12 07:38 PM
    Mine just came in this afternoon. Very happy so far. Haven't used it much yet though.
    09-19-12 07:40 PM
    You can only use 100 mbs or smaller size files. Good one on using a SD micro card on the blackberry phone. Prices have been dropping lately on the mircosd cards.
    09-19-12 07:41 PM
    Heads up! Saturday Door Crasher at STAPLES, Additional 10% Off!

Special One-Day Only Pricing Available Saturday September 22, 2012! Available online and in-store. While quantities last. Limit 1 per customer. Not valid on prior purchases.

Price: $219.00.
    10% off = $197.10
    09-20-12 09:27 PM
    just got the 64 gig for 197.10 at Staples sold out of the 32 gig
    09-22-12 09:54 AM
    Buy me one....I promise to pay you back
    09-22-12 09:55 AM
    Just picked up the 32gb at staples for $118...so sic. Just put OS to 2.1...lllluvvv it...
    11-23-12 02:11 PM
    Grabbed a replacement after my original had an accident! My Wife is happy to have two in the house again! Great deal, can't go wrong with that price! Bad news the sales rep said they're dropping BlackBerry all together at Staples, this is a fire sale to clean up whats left. Seems like they need more room for more Apple gear (*Rolls Eyes), at least that's what it looked like at the Market Mall location here in Calgary,
    11-23-12 02:24 PM
    Grabbed a replacement after my original had an accident! My Wife is happy to have two in the house again! Great deal, can't go wrong with that price! Bad news the sales rep said they're dropping BlackBerry all together at Staples, this is a fire sale to clean up whats left. Seems like they need more room for more Apple gear (*Rolls Eyes), at least that's what it looked like at the Market Mall location here in Calgary,
    why are they doing this? is RIM gonna announce BB Playbook 2? or does RIM stop the production all together?
    01-05-13 05:11 PM
    RIM should sell directly to the public, Set up a few warehouses around the various countries.
    01-05-13 06:09 PM
    This must be a firesale RIP PB
    01-05-13 06:33 PM
    Best Buy Canada, Future Shop, The Source, Staples, Sears, WalMart along with other retailers are all sold out of the Playbook. I estimate to date 3.5 Million have been sold so far. I believe RIM is waiting to launch more Playbooks with the Blackberry 10 OS update. Anyhow RIM needs to get these in stores ASAP, everybody is looking to buy one or two.
    why are they doing this? is RIM gonna announce BB Playbook 2? or does RIM stop the production all together?
    I don't think they produced enough to begin with. I believe the number floating around was 750,000+ where shipped to Canadian Retailers.
    01-16-13 09:32 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD