Hello everyone.

Well tonight I did it...I bought my first Blackberry device, the PlayBook.

I was at Wal-Mart and the clerk originally told me that they were sold out of the 32gb for $148 but I spied a PlayBook box behind the counter. The clerk took a look and it was an opened box unit. They said it was a returned unit but still brand new condition. Wanting to see for myself I took a look and it still appeared brand new, screen protector on screen, no marks, all docs. Although the larger box was open, the box for the charger cable/usb was still sealed so it was clearly never charged or used for any extended time. When I got home and powered it on I was prompted to complete the full setup and it did a quick 20mb update.

The best part - since it was open box, it had a label attached advising that it was on sale for 25% off. Granted the label was made at a time when the 32gb playbook was selling for over $200. It took some discussion but they reduced the $148 price by 25% do I purchased it for $111 plus tax.

Playing around with it I am actually very impressed with the PlayBook, especially for video, web/flash surfing.

I do have two questions/concerns:

1) Since this was open box but still appearing brand new, is there anything I should be watching out for?

2) I have seen the 64gb model on sale now for $199. What benefits would an extra 32gb offer (aside from more space)? Do the apps really take up that much room on the device? I can't see myself using iit for video/photos and it doesn't appear that you can use as USB host without rooting.

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth returning my 32gb that i bought for $111 and buying a 64gb for $199?

Thank you for you advice!
    09-08-12 12:31 AM
    By any chance was this the dufferin walmart? Lol
    09-08-12 12:39 AM
    If you want another 32gb buy another pb
    09-08-12 02:51 AM
    I have a 64gb PB, but I'm nowhere near filling it.
    I don't put music on it, and I don't use many apps, I just put movies/tv shows on it.
    I think 32gb should probably be fine, I only bought the 64gb because it was a �10 difference between the 32 and the 64; better safe than sorry.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    09-08-12 08:35 AM
    jayemmbee - I guess it is a small world..lol

JRAtk027 - I'm thinking the same...although I do see the 64gb bundle on sale at the source (local CDN store) with screen protector and case for $199 ..accessories which I would probably buy anyways. If I add in these costs, the 64gb difference is probably around $50 ...oh well, maybe keep 32gb as gift..

I can't put the playbook down...I don't know why it has had do much bad press! I find it a lot better than my galaxy tab for flash/web and obviously better on web than iPad (i.e. no native flash support)
    jayemmbee likes this.
    09-08-12 11:54 AM
    JRAtk027 - I'm thinking the same...although I do see the 64gb bundle on sale at the source (local CDN store) with screen protector and case for $199 ..accessories which I would probably buy anyways. If I add in these costs, the 64gb difference is probably around $50 ...oh well, maybe keep 32gb as gift..
    Keep the 32GB BlackBerry PlayBook from Wal-Mart and buy the 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook from The Source if you really feel the 32GB is inadequate for you. The pet peeve I have with people who buy one model of the tablet and shortly thereafter have buyer's remorse about not buying the next higher storage capacity tablet boils down to: "You are adding to the negative perception of the BlackBerry PlayBook because your return and upgrade strategy counts as a product return in the inventory reporting statistics. If you have buyer's remorse over storage capacity buy a second BlackBerry PlayBook with the higher storage capacity and keep the original BlackBerry PlayBook. At today's prices those of us whom purchased the tablet in April 2011 are underwater if these had mortgages. But we have the advantage of living the slow, painful evolution of this tablet despite the shenanigans of Research In Motion." For the record I own 5 BlackBerry PlayBooks (1 personal use, 2 professional use, and 2 spare unopened) in addition to the 2 BlackBerry PlayBooks given to family.
    09-08-12 01:59 PM
    I see the point as i'd probably feel the same way given the minuscule price difference in reality, and inability to link up extra storage if you wanted it . Like JRATk027 I got the 64gb as the price for it was just silly - but I have filled up on apps, photos, videos, comics, books, and still have 37gb left. But like BB9700CA i'd probably buy extras - if I had the spare cash! If it were me i'd go back & get the bigger one, but again this is just my own opinion
    09-08-12 02:16 PM
    at this price, 64G is the only option
    09-08-12 02:46 PM
    I have had my 64 for just over a year. No problems whatsoever. I have hundreds of photos, about 1000 songs, about a dozen games and still have about 49 gb space left over. So I think you got an excellent deal. Keep it. I love mine. By the way, Smart Office 2 is a great app if you need something like Word.
    09-08-12 03:04 PM
    I get by with 16gb
    09-08-12 03:08 PM
    Someone direct me to the closest location that is selling the 64GB PlayBook for $200 and I will go buy 2 more!
    09-08-12 03:20 PM
    Im getting close to filling my 32GB....Wish I had purchased the 64GB....BUT I have a lot of crap on my PB. I doubt most people would need more then 32GB
    09-08-12 03:33 PM
    With no music and very minimal videos. I have my playbook loaded with apps and I have a 16 and I still have 10 left for stuff.

Sent using Tapatalk
    09-08-12 03:37 PM
    Buy the largest (storage) unit you can afford ! I acquired a 64 ... will I 'fill-it' hope not but the space is there !

I bought a 80gbMSZune only have over 12gb in tunes and vids on it, but similiar sit', the price diff. outlay was/is waaaay less than majority of peoples pay to isp/cable companies (PER month) so they watch rerun specialty channels vs base or second tier.

imho
    09-08-12 04:33 PM
    jayemmbee - I guess it is a small world..lol

I can't put the playbook down...I don't know why it has had do much bad press! I find it a lot better than my galaxy tab for flash/web and obviously better on web than iPad (i.e. no native flash support)
    lol ya I work in that very. walmart electronics where you bought it. those playbooks are fine. people return them and they are fine its just that they were too lazy to figure out how to use it or wanted an ipad .

we get returns and because RIM won't take it back if theirs nothing wrong with the unit, nintendo is the same way too (I don't blame them for not taking it back, because a lot of returms are done because of poor research before buying said product) but ya so we cut out losses and sell it at discount which works out for crackberry ppl like us,
    I bought one for my girlfriend when the 16s went to 178 so I got it for like 140
    tdexter77 likes this.
    09-09-12 01:33 AM
    Keep the 32GB BlackBerry PlayBook from Wal-Mart and buy the 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook from The Source if you really feel the 32GB is inadequate for you. The pet peeve I have with people who buy one model of the tablet and shortly thereafter have buyer's remorse about not buying the next higher storage capacity tablet boils down to: "You are adding to the negative perception of the BlackBerry PlayBook because your return and upgrade strategy counts as a product return in the inventory reporting statistics. If you have buyer's remorse over storage capacity buy a second BlackBerry PlayBook with the higher storage capacity and keep the original BlackBerry PlayBook. At today's prices those of us whom purchased the tablet in April 2011 are underwater if these had mortgages. But we have the advantage of living the slow, painful evolution of this tablet despite the shenanigans of Research In Motion." For the record I own 5 BlackBerry PlayBooks (1 personal use, 2 professional use, and 2 spare unopened) in addition to the 2 BlackBerry PlayBooks given to family.
    you wouldn't be surprised by the amount that get return then the uneducated people are like oh it got returned so it must be when in reality if they had done homework first they wouodnt have bought it.
    09-09-12 01:36 AM
    Lol, I'm in the Duffrin wal-mart all the time,
    but 32GB should be fine depending on what you are using it for..
    I have a 16GB Playbook I paid 100$ for the other day and I use it for business presentations an a few other things, I don't think you need a 64GB playbook.
    09-09-12 06:46 PM
    The Dufferin Walmart sounds like something out of Harry Potter
    09-09-12 07:34 PM
    I got a 32GB PlayBook because I wasn't sure if 16GB was enough. Turns out 16GB would have been plenty.
    09-09-12 09:30 PM
    I recently asked the forum if a 16 Gig was good enough for books and browsing/email. Getting an affirmative I bought one for $149.00 at Future shop. (Just went back and made them match $129.00 at the Source.) The advice was good. There is no need for 32 or 64G if you are not going to store a bunch of music or something. Besides, unlike the Ipad, You can run a USB cable to your computer and load a new book etc when you are finished reading the old one. You got a great deal - clean out any old email addresses, docs etc and set it up.
    09-09-12 11:43 PM
    sometimes the customers we get are something out of harry potter lol

but ya all opened box playbooks are good. we security wipe them back to factory settings and put it out for sale again. we just verify them to make sure there's nothing actually wrong with it before we resell kt
    09-12-12 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD