Found this on the gadget show website (UK).
    Just days after the launch of the BlackBerry Z10, the struggling smartphone maker has revealed it�s working on a second BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to take on the iPad, Google Nexus 7 and other runaway slate successes. But will it be too little too late?

Speaking to news agency Reuters, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins revealed that he has ordered a second tablet to be made. �I�m not getting out of the tablet business, I�ve asked my teams to build another one,� he said.

There�s a but though. �I need to make money from it. If the hardware doesn�t provide the margins I need, then it makes no sense in doing it,� he said. And that may be a struggle: the first BlackBerry PlayBook was poorly received on its launch in 2011, and while retailers are already claiming the new Z10 phone is a success, it�s far too early to tell.

Original BlackBerry PlayBook owners shouldn�t feel too hard done by with the news though: the company has also said it�ll be bringing its BlackBerry 10 software to the slate at some point, so there�s a nice app and feature-filled update to look forward to.

What do you make of the news? Is a BlackBerry PlayBook dead in the water? Spout off with your thoughts in the comments below.
    crack___head likes this.
    02-14-13 03:24 PM
    Let me see, I have a 16g and 64g, and the 64 is with me always. Dead in the water, not as far as I'm concerned.
    02-14-13 04:54 PM
    Ah old news i posted about a neew PB weeks ago coming and everyone bashed me and so forth, well ya know what its true its coming this year i heard in the fall.
    02-14-13 05:04 PM
    I love my 64gb playbook, I use it all the time in school to take handwrited notes, view and edit my office docs and pdfs, record classes, take video and photos, read books and much more, the multitasking capabilities come real handy in that regard. I would love a new playbook from blackberry and I would buy it right away because the playbook is one of the most useful tablets I have used.
    tabalet and trynacu2 like this.
    02-14-13 05:15 PM
    I've never had a tablet before. My sister has one and I was never impressed with it since it was a slow and jerky type of Android. I certainly wasn't impressed by the oversized iPad and had no interest in acquiring one.

I dismissed it all as a fad. Then came the "Family and Friends" offer to RIM employees. My wife's daughter is dating one of the folks at the then RIM and I managed to pick up a nice package including the 64GB PlayBook for a darned good price.

I wasn't sure what to expect but had read good things about the hardware so I booted it up and within short order found it was replacing my laptop when I was on the go. I loved the 7 inch size as it was very portable and relatively light. No need to take along a backpack or a briefcase. The only feature I did not like particularly when I was at home was the amount of real estate lost to the keyboard. I liked the predictive text feature but felt I needed a separate keyboard.

When I finally picked up the PlayBook's mini keyboard, I was able to transform the PlayBook into a very useful device for surfing and communicating on the go and at home.

In addition, I never realized how good a movie I could watch by plugging the PlayBook into my hidef widescreen TV and playing some downloaded movies and old TV shows. This little PlayBook outperformed my older desktop and laptop hardware significantly.

The multitasking is phenominal and I continue to learn more about the capabilites of this now older device.

BB certainly got the hardware right. It has more recently learned the lesson about getting an app store that was decently stocked as well as being responsive on the consumer side of things. This is certainly helping propel the Z10 to become a major player in the phone market.

Mr. Heins has it right on two counts. He has to make money with the PlayBook 2 and perhaps it will be through revenue streams related to services that companies and individuals need. Certainly a good tie in between devices will be important.

In the end, I think a PlayBook 2 can indeed be successful as long as BB has learned the lesson that it is no longer only about quality of the hardware and the underlying OS, but what you can actually be able to do with the device when it hits the market.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 02-14-13 at 08:30 PM.
    02-14-13 06:08 PM
    Dead in the water? I just bought my playbook. Technology is on going. People like what they like period.
    bdguru, Blackman91 and nappp like this.
    02-14-13 09:23 PM
    If BB doesn't bring another tablet to market, I'm not getting another tablet until I completely wear out my two PB's. How awesome would a 10 inch PB be? I like the 7 inch for work and my 32gb goes with me everywhere, and my 64 gb for home, but a 10 inch would be awesome for movies and many other apps. Not dead in the water until hey pry it from my cold dead hands!
    02-14-13 09:51 PM
    I'm planning on buying two more PlayBooks. One for my wife to replace her 10.1 inch Android tablet that I got her for Christmas which she hates and has used three of four times and one for my 5 year old granddaughter. The 7 inch PlayBook is the perfect size for general use. But it would be nice to have a larger screen for the movie.
    bdguru likes this.
    02-14-13 10:35 PM
    love my playbook! does everything I want. I still have a 9930 so bridge works excellent with bbm and texting. the playbook and I are one! depending on the specs I will definitely consider another blackberry tablet!
    Spencerdl and dphjeff like this.
    02-14-13 10:48 PM
    I would love to see a 10 inch playbook with BB10 OS! Awesome would just be one word I would use and I would certinaly buy one if it were to become avaliable.

At the moment I am looking to upgrade my tablet, and I hate to say it but I am looking at the iPad because of the facetime facility. The problem with the PB is the lack of Skype, while many of my iPad owning friends have it I can only do video calling to them on the iPhone using facetime, yet I would like to use my PB for the job and can't.

But yes a 10 inch PB, that would deffo have me rethinking the iPad option!
    02-15-13 04:48 AM
    Damn, I so WISH Thor did not say this.

Now we have to start rumour/speculation threads, create random release dates, I've had enough heart breaks from Blackberry, I can't cope with any more pain

I think it's time for me to leave and chill over at http://forums.crackberry.com/rehab-o...ic-lounge-f36/
    Scotter75 and luv4berrycrack like this.
    02-15-13 04:57 AM
    While I like my Playbook although it needs that BB10 update soon, I wouldn't consider another unless it has major spec changes. Multicore processor dual or quad, 2 GB RAM or more, expandable storage, better cameras 8 MP minimum rear, IR capability for remote uses, possible fine tuned stylus, updated Bluetooth, working volume buttons, better WiFi connectivity. Today's tablets have to be able to interface with a variety of products, TVs, Desktop and portable computers, and a variety of phones as well as automobile electronics and home automation.
    02-15-13 05:01 AM
    PlayBook 2?

Let BlackBerry first finish the PlayBook 1 before proceeding to PlayBook 2...
    02-15-13 09:05 AM
    About the only way they'd pry my current PlayBooks out of my cold dead hands would be to replace them with PlayBook 2's. While I'm excited about getting a Z10, I'm waiting patiently because most of what it can do (that's important to me) can be done on a PlayBook today. Bring on DLNA and the HTML 5 browser and it would be darn near perfect.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-15-13 11:39 AM
    I would love a Playbook 2, so long as they do not skimp on the specs and quality to make it profitable (think Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, etc).
    I'd like at least 1.5 gz dual-core with better graphics engine (not that the current one is bad), 2 gb ram, LTE option not tied to a carrier, expandable storage (this is a big turn-off especially for Android users if it's missing), Bluetooth 4.0, improved wi-fi, and 1280*720 screen to match Z10. I really like the 7' screen size, but if they could srink the bezel slightly and increase the screen size to, say, 7.5" whilst keeping the same overall dimensions that would be an improvement. For those that want one, a larger Playbook would be ncie too. I like the Playbook name, but I have a feeling they will change it.
    I love the layout of the Playbook OS, namely the way it displays the running apps and the horizontal gestures to switch between open apps. If the Playbook received BB10, but with a slightly different UI ( while keeping the aforementioned gesture and layout), I'd be very happy.
    I love the look and feel of the Playbook. They could perhaps but a thin chrome bezel or something around the edges to differentiate it some.
    02-15-13 12:25 PM
    A faster browser, maybe USB storage connectivity and PB as it is is perfect. (Actually, the browser seems much faster after the last update....)My PB is in my hands at work and at home almost 24/7 as it is now.It has totally replaced my laptop.......Drooling to see what a PB 2 might be able to do, what a mind blowing impressive piece of tech it might be.

Waiting patiently for Verizon to get BB 10's- lusting after a "Stormtrooper" color Zed-10......coolest.phone.EVER.
    02-15-13 12:41 PM
    I think they should get rid off the PlayBook name. Bad reputation in the media ...

BlackPad was considered as a name before the PlayBook launch.

Headlines like "Forget what you heard about the PlayBook, the BlackPad is here" is what BBRY needs.
    02-15-13 01:04 PM
    The pb is getting old. Heck the battery will die before we see BB10 or a reasonable facsimile there of on it.
    reschp and FF22 like this.
    02-15-13 01:12 PM
    I like the PlayBook name and I hope they keep it.
    02-15-13 01:14 PM
    PlayBook 2?

Let BlackBerry first finish the PlayBook 1 before proceeding to PlayBook 2...
    Are you talking about the PlayBook WiFi (released April 2011 and running at 1.0 GHZ); or PlayBook LTE (released August 2012 and running at 1.5 GHZ)?
    02-15-13 01:16 PM
    if they couldn't put their act together -even after a few updates- with PB1, I am sure they won't with PB2.

It is not about the name of the product is about making software right.

Take a look at Blackberry World UI and features in PB, it seems that it is a piece of software designed and programmed by the enemy specially for you.

making software for today's standards = unfamiliar territory for Blackberry
    02-15-13 01:25 PM
    if they couldn't put their act together -even after a few updates- with PB1, I am sure they won't with PB2.
    I can appreciate what you're saying, but this also isn't the same company. Different CEO. Different COO. Different CMO. Different head of developer relations. Different head of legal. Different CIO. Different CTO.
    02-15-13 01:42 PM
    I like the playbook name, but sadly due to bb's complete mishandling off it i think it's a tarnished brand in the eyes off the press pack.

So i'd like to propose MYBERRY or the BLACKBERRY Smoothie
    02-15-13 02:23 PM
    Sounds like your hungry or taking a page from Andriod. Yes the marketing and some designs of the PlayBook were mishandled. Hopefully BlackBerry has learn from there mistakes and get it right in the future.
    02-15-13 03:00 PM
    About the only way they'd pry my current PlayBooks out of my cold dead hands would be to replace them with PlayBook 2's. While I'm excited about getting a Z10, I'm waiting patiently because most of what it can do (that's important to me) can be done on a PlayBook today. Bring on DLNA and the HTML 5 browser and it would be darn near perfect.
    DLNA? Try the KalemSoft Video player
    02-15-13 03:52 PM
55 123