Well just wanted to let you know that it seems that the PlayBook OS 2.0 upgrade has fixed the WiFi sharing issues I was having.

I used to have to enter an IP address like \\192.168.2.2 for it to work with my PC since it didn't work by clicking "Network" in Windows, it would show up but now work. Now it works without having to enter the IP address!!!

So glad, yet another improvement OS 2.0 brought.
    03-04-12 11:40 PM
    I'm doing a *HappyDance* for you! Glad you have got it working now..
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-04-12 11:42 PM
    what speeds do you get when sharing on WiFi?
    03-05-12 12:01 AM
    My PB's don't even show up in the network folder most of the time - and I'm on 2.0. I've created an IP address shortcut for each of them on my desktop. That works all the time!
    03-05-12 12:14 AM
    I just tested the back and forth transfer of a 181MB file

from PC to PB : 3 minutes 20 seconds = 905 kbps average
    from PB to PC : 4 minutes 40 seconds = 646 kbps average
    03-05-12 12:15 AM
    My PB's don't even show up in the network folder most of the time - and I'm on 2.0. I've created an IP address shortcut for each of them on my desktop. That works all the time!
    I can't do this as my PBs change ip addresses automatically.
    03-05-12 12:17 AM
    I can't do this as my PBs change ip addresses automatically.
    You may fix this in in your router settings (don't force in wifi settings of the PB, it'll generate more trouble than advantages). Find a section (probably near the DHCP one) that is "IP reservation" or "static IP" or "LAN IP", in witch you can enter the MAC address of the PB and reserve a static IP address for it. Then, no more hassle, your PB will always have the same IP and your shortcuts will work forever !

(Example : Netgear settings)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-05-12 at 03:05 AM.
    bbfan1040 and homer1475 like this.
    03-05-12 03:00 AM
    I almost got excited... But realized the true issues still exist...

Awfully slow transfer rate and one-way only connection (PC to PB).
    Regarding transfer, I max at around 1.2/Mb second, which is much lower than all my other wlan clients...

03-05-12 05:50 AM
    it is quite slow yeah. But still quite awesome that you don't need the desktop software to transfer files when you are at your friends' place or anywhere. Don't even have to take it out of the bag to copy files.
    Jeovex and RicThot like this.
    03-05-12 05:58 AM
    I almost got excited... But realized the true issues still exist...

Awfully slow transfer rate and one-way only connection (PC to PB).
    Regarding transfer, I max at around 1.2/Mb second, which is much lower than all my other wlan clients...

Tip : Consider downloading "Ghost commander" App (free) in AppWorld.
    You'll get 2 ways in a snap, if you're running windows or a FTP capable device.
    Hawkeberry and anon(2909270) like this.
    03-05-12 06:01 AM
    Use print to go, much quicker saves as adobe.
    03-05-12 07:02 AM
    Use print to go, much quicker saves as adobe.
    but you can't use print to go for music files, videos, etc.
    03-05-12 07:06 AM
    I used to do the same, type in the ip address because it didn't show in the network folder, but not it's fixed.

I found out the reason why my PB doesn't show in the network folder is because the firewall was preventing it from doing so. All I did was go to the firewall settings and allow it to connect . I'm at work now so I don't have access to my home PC. If anyone needs further help let me know and I will post detailed instructions tonight.

I didn't do anything with my router, only on windows firewall.

If I recall correctly, I get transfer speeds at arounf 7MB/s (but I might be wrong, will check again tonight)

I also have a BoxeeBox and I can stream from my PB to it even when PB is on StandBy (although some videos and movies converted with Freemake to PB don't play any video, only sound)
    03-05-12 07:23 AM
    Tip : Consider downloading "Ghost commander" App (free) in AppWorld.
    You'll get 2 ways in a snap, if you're running windows or a FTP capable device.
    I got Ghost Commander but never was able to connect a windows share... Can you post a screenshot of how you setup yours? I tried all kind of comibnations for server name/paths but can't seem to get it to work...
    03-05-12 08:05 AM
    You may fix this in in your router settings (don't force in wifi settings of the PB, it'll generate more trouble than advantages). Find a section (probably near the DHCP one) that is "IP reservation" or "static IP" or "LAN IP", in witch you can enter the MAC address of the PB and reserve a static IP address for it. Then, no more hassle, your PB will always have the same IP and your shortcuts will work forever !
    Exactly how I've been doing it since day 1 with the PB. Static IP via DHCP reservation, and a mapped network drive.

Come to think of it I set a static IP for all MY devices on my home network, saves a lot of hassle when troubleshooting network problems. I have connected to my router, 3 laptops, 2 netbooks, 2 phones, 3 wdtv boxes, 2 NAS's, network printer, and 2 PB's.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-05-12 08:14 AM
    I get about 1 megabyte per second transfer rate if transferring to/from another wireless machine on the lan. If if transfer files to and from a machine on the wired lan, it seems way faster, probably due to wireless network congestion getting cut in half.
    03-05-12 09:21 AM
    Hey, the OP is on to something. Remember when we use to be able to access the pb using the Network but rim changed/broke something so we needed to use the ip-address. Well, I just checked and in Win Explorer, I could go to network, see the two pb's I have and actually open them, that way. Did not need the IP address scheme.

Or have I missed something?
    03-05-12 09:56 AM
    Exactly how I've been doing it since day 1 with the PB. Static IP via DHCP reservation, and a mapped network drive.

Come to think of it I set a static IP for all MY devices on my home network, saves a lot of hassle when troubleshooting network problems. I have connected to my router, 3 laptops, 2 netbooks, 2 phones, 3 wdtv boxes, 2 NAS's, network printer, and 2 PB's.
    And, Homer, has been tutoring me in private messaging! Thanks.
    03-05-12 09:59 AM
    Hey, the OP is on to something. Remember when we use to be able to access the pb using the Network but rim changed/broke something so we needed to use the ip-address. Well, I just checked and in Win Explorer, I could go to network, see the two pb's I have and actually open them, that way. Did not need the IP address scheme.

Or have I missed something?
    this is Exactly what I meant
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-12 10:10 AM
    I used to do the same, type in the ip address because it didn't show in the network folder, but not it's fixed.

I found out the reason why my PB doesn't show in the network folder is because the firewall was preventing it from doing so. All I did was go to the firewall settings and allow it to connect . I'm at work now so I don't have access to my home PC. If anyone needs further help let me know and I will post detailed instructions tonight.

I didn't do anything with my router, only on windows firewall.

If I recall correctly, I get transfer speeds at arounf 7MB/s (but I might be wrong, will check again tonight)

I also have a BoxeeBox and I can stream from my PB to it even when PB is on StandBy (although some videos and movies converted with Freemake to PB don't play any video, only sound)
    Tried some stuff with the firewall - but the PB's still don't show in the network folder - only occasionally. They both have static IP addresses. Please let us know the steps you took - when you get off work. Thanks
    03-05-12 10:41 AM
    I thought it always worked..
    Last night I was in my bed..Couldn't fall asleep and was too lazy to go to my PC..Opened Splashtop, transfered a movie to my playbook (via wi-fi) and watched it...I was so happy

But I seriously thought it always worked :d
    03-05-12 10:46 AM
    I got Ghost Commander but never was able to connect a windows share... Can you post a screenshot of how you setup yours? I tried all kind of comibnations for server name/paths but can't seem to get it to work...
    You should ...

Start :
    - share a folder on your computer . Just create one on your desktop and allow share to everybody.
    - Identify your computer name : right click the "my computer" icon on its desktop and choose "properties". A popup or page will display the name of the computer.

. Launch Ghost Commander
    . On the left or right pane you have a line : "Windows Share"; click it.
    - In the server field, type Your computer Name
    - Domain name: leave it blank (or use the one you'll find in step 1 options screen)
    - User name : the name you use to open your session on your computer
    - Password : the password you use to open your session on your computer.

And there you go !
    03-05-12 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD