I have tried three times now to do a full backup of my Playbook. Each time it gets part way through then fails with an error. I have tried to backup to my laptop HDD and to an external HDD. Fails with each. It leads me to believe that something on the PB is causing the failure. Is there a PB equivalent of chkdsk /f ? What else could be causing this?
    06-30-12 01:44 AM
    Same thing happens for many of us. Unfortunately.

RIM seems to know nothing about it. Less than useless on the subject and probably wont ever fix it.

Some apps, especially sideloaded apps (Android 1 player was spectacularily bad for this) cause some kind of filesystem corruption. My best guess after analyzing their filebsystems is that apps inherit strange permissions. Those pemissions can prevent you (and desktop manager) from accessing some files. When the backup hits the file, it dies.

Only two fixes right now. Do a security wipe and lose everything. Dont sideload anything. Hope no appworld apps do this (i highly suspect they do actually when ndk apps write to media folders in some cases)

Root you device, check permissions on app files, remove bad entries.

Last option is to forget about backups.

Ed
    06-30-12 04:21 AM
    I have tried three times now to do a full backup of my Playbook. Each time it gets part way through then fails with an error. I have tried to backup to my laptop HDD and to an external HDD. Fails with each. It leads me to believe that something on the PB is causing the failure. Is there a PB equivalent of chkdsk /f ? What else could be causing this?
    I think it is due to other USB devices connected to the PC

I was having the same backup problems - was trying to do a 6Gb Backup (eg everything except media), and the Backup would fail part way through

I changed the USB cable - no change, Backup still failed partway through

THEN I Removed other USB devices that sometimes had problems (specifically my Palm TX) - Backup worked fine!!

Client also had similar problems -when we removed his cheapie USB Hub (he had been given it as part of a corporate promotion) his PB Backup worked fine too

Hope this helps
    06-30-12 05:30 AM
    In addition to what has been suggested, the backup process is (has rim changed it?) a ZIP process and some apps and their support files are rather large (there was a map/gps program that had over 40,000 files) and so timing and processing becomes and issue. I found in SOME cases, if I made sure my computer was not doing a ton of other processing, it might lead to more success.

But back to backups. You can manually backup all of the normal type files by copy/paste/drag/drop to your computer. So I copy new photos or videos and voice memos myself. Similarly, any other docs or files, I copy. My music and videos that I put on the pb, well, I have those on my computer already so don't worry about yet another copy.

Apps can generally be downloaded again. The one issue there is if the app has changed price - you might not want to pay for it but it cannot be downloaded again. That's where a backup is nice.

In some cases, DM will backup partially - so pick settings and try that. Sometimes apps so try just that.
    06-30-12 09:17 AM
    I've never been able to backup my device, not on the original OS, not on 2.0, not with any version of Desktop Manager, not on the 3 different computers I've tried.

My Playbook is going back to RIM this week to repair the rubber gasket around the screen. I've pretty much accepted the fact they're going to send me a new one and I'll have to start fresh.

Totally lame.
    07-28-12 07:30 PM
    I've never been able to backup my device, not on the original OS, not on 2.0, not with any version of Desktop Manager, not on the 3 different computers I've tried.

My Playbook is going back to RIM this week to repair the rubber gasket around the screen. I've pretty much accepted the fact they're going to send me a new one and I'll have to start fresh.

Totally lame.
    It seems to me that after some of the OS upgrades, is when problems developed. After wiping my PB is working perfectly.
    07-28-12 09:36 PM
    After wiping there won't be anything left to backup!
    07-28-12 09:40 PM
    Here's my experience with the backups -- when I first got the Playbook, no problem. Soon after, any backups INCLUDING the applications would fail about halfway through.

After doing plenty of reading and trying all sorts of different options, here's what's I found. It comes down to one of your apps not playing well with the backup. It comes down to an app not filing it's information properly, leading to the backup failing.

The 'solution' I had was to delete apps in different batches and keep the ones I really wanted backed up. Eventually, I got to a point where it backed up fine.

Wasn't sure what app did it, but I believe Geereader and scroodle were in the last batch. Not saying that was it, but it may have been.

So... Delete apps, if you want to be thorough, write them down to eliminate which are fine. Keep the ones you really want, and you'll get there.

Not the prettiest, but it's what worked for me. I reinstalled all the other apps, and now I just do a partial backup.

Hope it works!
    07-28-12 09:49 PM
    After wiping there won't be anything left to backup!
    I'm not recommending that you wipe yours at all my friend, I wiped mine by accident. Lucky for me I had most of my videos and pics saved on my pc already, so no big loss.
    07-29-12 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD