This was the 1st time my PB got away from home for more than just browsing. Of course bridging worked fine until we got into no man's land in Eastern Colorado - hey, if you don't have cell service, bridge has a hard time working.

1st evening in the hotel, reception was really weak, but once connected speed through wifi was good. 2nd day we used Osmand some; while some work is still needed there, it performed admirably for where it's at in development. Much easier to use than my paid for app Magellan.

This day we visited the Royal Gorge train, [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNFuarSd_hM[/YT] where I shot quite a bit of video and took a few photo's. The only problem I noticed over the 2.5 hour ride was that after about 3/4 of the trip if I would minimize the camera ap before putting the PB in standby, it didn't want to wake up. I re-started the device and everything was fine. I was really impressed with the quality of video and photo's for a tablet - not the photographer so much though.

I basically carried the tablet with me everywhere, under my arm, in it's case when not in use. The portability is really nice "on the fly", as we found a scenic drive we ended up going on that we found while connected when eating lunch. 2nd night in the motel (different one) signal from our room was full bars and internet was fast. Guess signal must be dependent on the motel's quality of service?

We did benefit from the Osmand maps (I had downloaded Colorado for offline use), although the Curve's "local search" ability was used more extensively; used youtube and bridge capabilities to find out if we'd enjoy doing something before spending the money; and was really impressed with the quality of video and photo's.

All in all, only problem was with the camera app in standby after a lengthy start/stop with video. Other than that did everything I asked of it. My wife's complaint was I didn't change Osmand's turn by turn to imperial, & she kept saying, "I don't know how far a kilometer is".

hpjrt, Chaddface, OniBerry and 2 others like this.
    08-21-12 10:48 AM
    Looks awesome! The playbook is one heck of a tablet i say.
    08-21-12 03:01 PM
    Really nice quality video. Is it a tourist train or do they hook up tourist cars to a larger, well, LONGER train. Some shots showed it being a pretty long train with lots of cars.
    08-21-12 03:24 PM
    1st picture looks great, 2nd looks like the ones I get with my PlayBook. I gotta say, I prefer my 9780 for taking pictures.

Here are two examples.

Attachment 115842
    Attachment 115844

When it comes to recording video though, nothing beats the PlayBook's cameras.
    08-21-12 03:54 PM
    Really nice quality video. Is it a tourist train or do they hook up tourist cars to a larger, well, LONGER train. Some shots showed it being a pretty long train with lots of cars.
    They said the engines were vintage 1945, the cars, & there were 10-12 (guessing), were from around 1950 from a Canadian railway. They had enclosed cars, but easier to see up the gorge in the open car.
    08-21-12 04:48 PM
    1st picture looks great, 2nd looks like the ones I get with my PlayBook. I gotta say, I prefer my 9780 for taking pictures.

Here are two examples.

Attachment 115842
    Attachment 115844

So you're saying 2nd pic is PB? After seeing the 1st, it looks.......not as nice.
    08-21-12 04:50 PM

Here are two examples.

Attachment 115842
    Attachment 115844

Sorry, Off topic: How did you STACK your thumbnails? I only get them side by side when I add additional ones?
    08-21-12 05:06 PM
    So you're saying 2nd pic is PB? After seeing the 1st, it looks.......not as nice.
    How sad it that? It can shoot incredible full HD video but it can't beat my 9780's camera when it comes to taking pictures? I swear, sometimes RIM gets on my nerves...

Sorry, Off topic: How did you STACK your thumbnails? I only get them side by side when I add additional ones?
    Hehe. After you upload them, click the paperclip icon and you'll have the option to "Insert all".
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-21-12 at 05:25 PM.
    08-21-12 05:22 PM
    Thanks for putting me on to Osmand, hadn't heard of it.
    08-21-12 06:37 PM
    Hey dude fun video. I did notice it's in stereo...not just another tablet. I have recorded my guitar with the Voice Notes system app and found it to be in stereo also. Fun post thanks.
    08-21-12 11:45 PM
    Nice crisp video. Man, the rafting looks like fun. Thanks for sharing
    08-21-12 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD