How do I play avi files? It gives me a 'not supported' error in the video player, and none of the ones I bought from BlackBerry world will play.

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    12-27-16 10:55 AM
    Just to clear up some confusion, yes the BB media player can play "AVI" files. Where the confusion lies is that an AVI file is not an audio/video format, it's a container.

Here's an analogy, you have a cup (the AVI container), put some rum (the video) in there, then you add some coke (the audio). But in another cup that looks the same you put rye and coke in there. The cups look the same right? But it's whats inside thats different.

So the problem with playing the AVI file isn't the file itself, it's what is inside of it. An AVI container supports many audio (ie. Mp3, AAC, DTS, AC-3 etc) formats as it does video (ie dvix/xvid, WMV, MPEG1/2 etc). Some formats are supported by the BB Media Player while others are not. And some formats it does support in the case of divx/xvid, if the content is in SD resolution it will scale it fine on the device and play properly, but HD resolutions is will start to choke. Also with those same formats it will play fine at 24fps (frames per second) but at 30fps it starts to lag.
    Conversion was what I found to be the best solution for the PlayBook, as it was very picky about file types or even resolutions.

As for your "purchased" content.... I learn long ago that BlackBerry's content was limited time only. Most likely your DRM key has gotten messed up, and thus those files are locked and unreadable.
    12-27-16 11:08 AM
    Conversion was what I found to be the best solution for the PlayBook, as it was very picky about file types or even resolutions.

As for your "purchased" content.... I learn long ago that BlackBerry's content was limited time only. Most likely your DRM key has gotten messed up, and thus those files are locked and unreadable.
    My poor choice of wording. I meant I bought a few apps from the store to try to play my formats. I guess I will convert my library again. Haven't had to do this since the old iPod days.

12-27-16 11:44 AM
    Did you try Kalemsoft Media Player? That one is pretty reliable at playing virtually every file type.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and TOphotog like this.
    12-27-16 11:51 AM
    Did you try Kalemsoft Media Player? That one is pretty reliable at playing virtually every file type.

Posted via CB10
    I second Kalemsoft. Well worth the money.

Posted via CB10
    TOphotog likes this.
    12-27-16 06:13 PM
    I second Kalemsoft. Well worth the money.

Posted via CB10
    I bought it and works great. Thanks guys!

anon(5597702) and TOphotog like this.
    12-28-16 09:23 AM
    With Kalemsoft's player, you can even drag VOB files from a DVD and it'll play the movie. Great piece of software for the Playbook IMO!
    01-13-17 01:50 PM
    With Kalemsoft's player, you can even drag VOB files from a DVD and it'll play the movie. Great piece of software for the Playbook IMO!
    If it wasn't for kalemsoft player I probably would have retired the playbook. It's the perfect size for short plane rides (my pb battery doesn't last very long, maybe 4 hours of continuous video use)
    01-20-17 09:33 AM
    If it wasn't for kalemsoft player I probably would have retired the playbook. It's the perfect size for short plane rides (my pb battery doesn't last very long, maybe 4 hours of continuous video use)
    Kalemsoft is keeping it alive for me too currently.

Android? No thanks. Just give me BB10 and CP/M and I'm a happy man.
    01-23-17 09:33 PM