Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Plan to Avoid Verizon PB Tethering Fees?? Will it Work?

I have looked carefully at the new PB and it looks very attractive except the uncertainty of any tethering fee from Verizon for using the internet. I already give Verizon enough monthly for my BB and a USB Broadband IF modem for my laptop. I have decided on a potential solution, please tell me if you think this will work. I plan to set up a local area WiFi net at home using a mobile broadband router which accepts my Verizon broadband USB IF. This will allow my wife to use the laptop while at the same time I can use the PB both communicating via WiFi and the router to the Verizon broadband USB interface. We have one of the few remaining unlimited broadband IF accounts so this should allow all the PB internet browsing wanted with no added Verizon costs all from the comfort of my recliner in the evenings. I do not know what will happen when the PB sees both a WiFi signal for internet and a Blue Tooth signal from my BB for email, etc., but I can live with that I think, as I can always turn off the Blue Tooth signal. Before I jump off the deep end, anyone know why this might not work as planned?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

The BT connection known as a Bridge should not count toward tethering at all, and your Wifi Solution will work to keep from using your BB as a "modem" for the Playbook.

all in all I would really wait to see what Verizon does about charging customers for the Playbook before starting to worry about how to make a work around.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Genius

There is no tethering fee. Let's kill this one quick.
    ============================

Please, God, for another day grant me
    the wisdom to know the difference.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I can see that there would likely be no bridge fee (i.e. for email, etc.), but have seen zero anywhere from either RIM or Verizon saying there would not be a tethering fee for using the PB to access the internet via the BB/Blue Tooth link. Please provide same if you have a RIM or other quote somewhere. It would be very helpful.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

There will be a tethering fee, lets get real. I am just hoping our friends at Tether will have a solution for this, which they probably will
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

I agree with Obi, it will be added as a value added service.
    Now if you just use WiFi, i dont see it being needed but we will need to see more of how it all works as release gets closer
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you already own and pay for a 3G hotspot, it should just connect to that, correct?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts

Yes.

Connecting to the Internet via the Blackberry Smartphone on the Playbook by any means is tethering. Blackberries aren't the only phones that tether via Bluetooth (Windows Mobile does as well, and Verizon has or has has a few of those already), so, using BT to tether the connection doesn't make this some sort of undetectable or unheard of innovation.

Bluetooth Bridging to access the data on your Blackberry (Documents, PIM Data, BBM, etc.) is not tethering. The Playbook is not getting any of that information from the internet. The blackberry is getting it and the playbook is just displaying it...

In Short:

Bridging to See Information on the Blackberry, or access files on the Blackberry = Verizon doesn't care. It doesn't use their network anyways and this could be done without a data plan or even a WiFi chip on either device.

Accessing the internet on you Playbook via the Blackberry smartphone over Bluetooth = Tethering, and you will be charged accordingly.
    Thanked by:
    NobleSix (02-05-2011) 

Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    Accessing the internet on you Playbook via the Blackberry smartphone over Bluetooth = Tethering, and you will be charged accordingly.
    I think the question is more about what those charges will be. I.e., will it simply be racking up more data usage through your phone's data plan, will there be an extra charge for a tethering 'option' on the data plan, or will it be some combination of both? I've never had a need to tether, so I have to admit I know little about how carriers do/will control and charge for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

AGAIN... there will be no charge. It's one of the attractions RIM has planned for the device to make it appealing over the other tablets out there.

Please, God, for another day grant me
    the wisdom to know the difference.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

If it tethers I'm pretty sure you're going to be charged a tethering fee.

Speaking of US carriers. Do you think they are going to allow the playbook to tether for free but not any of the other devices like the ipad or tab? Over seas and maybe in Canda carriers may include tethering in your phone data but here in the US they charge for it.

I think there was a little bit of miscommunication from RIM. I've seen two videos of RIM Reps giving demos and the bridge was mention as being used for the PIM stuff.

This question has been asked on here and tons of other blogs and websites and there has been no offical statement from RIM. Why is that?

It's because it would hurt future sells. They spoke pretty quickly on the battery life but have been silent on this.

Doesn't really matter to me as my jailbroken iphone can create a hotspot and connect to it. I've been doing it and haven't been charged although technically I'm suppose to be on the $20 2gig plan and pay an additional $20 to tether
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

Well bearing in mind I only get 500MB a month (£5/mth), I believe you'll have to pay the tethering fee of £7.50 a month PLUS for £5 fee for the data for every 500MB you want to use for tethering. So basically, it will work out at £12.50 for every 500MB tethered. And £5 for every 500MB non-tethered. O2 nickle and dime you for everything, and even make Verizon look like a cost-effective solution. Oh, and on a slightly related topic, NO UK phone company provides family plans. Every phone has be on an individual contract, not part of a bigger plan. You even have to put your iPad/GTab on a brand new plan as if you didn't already have a contract for your phone.
    CrackBerry Visitor
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by kb5zht View Post
    AGAIN... there will be no charge. It's one of the attractions RIM has planned for the device to make it appealing over the other tablets out there.
    You have provided this information twice now. What do you base this information on? I have seen nothing from either RIM or Verizon.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

It was briefly mentioned last year when the PB was 1st demoed. I think there was a little confusion myself, between bridge and tether.

I haven't heard it talked about since then.

Everytime the bridge is mentioned it only speaks of PIM stuff.
    A poster posted a leaked PB overview in a thread here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/le...erview-579997/

You would think a bullet point to use your existing dataplan from your BB with no additional fees would have been listed.

RIM hasn't came out and cleared it up, even with all the blog, forum talk asking about it.

I think you'll see it mentioned with a * and when you read the * text it was say something like additional data fees may apply. Some carriers overseas include tethering in their data packages. Here in the US I bet they charge.

RIM probably did originally plan to allow you to use internet over the bridge which would seem like your phone was requesting the data. Carriers probably heard that and said RIM, oh no you don't. That's tethering and we charge for that.

People will buy it and say oh well. I feel it's still a good piece of hardware.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

If there are tethering fees to use the internet, it would seem the attraction of the PB is greatly decreased and another cheaper WiFi compatible tablet or an iPad would be as attractive or maybe more attractive.
    Thanked by:
    howarmat (01-30-2011) 

Global Posts
    23,360 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
    If there are tethering fees to use the internet, it would seem the attraction of the PB is greatly decreased and another cheaper WiFi compatible tablet or an iPad would be as attractive or maybe more attractive.
    correct which is one reason they might not being upfront about the topic right now
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB...
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

Yup.

First you find out that if you don't have a BB you have to use web based mail, wait for 3rd party or RIM to finally put it in. They finally spoke it saying it will come as the software evolves. They probably didn't think there would be such an outlash from not including these services. iPad & Android both can do Exchange, yahoo and other mail services out of the box.

2nd You hear the battery life isn't all that . RIM released something pretty quick saying that power management hasn't been turned on.

3rd Bridge/Tether. I already spoke on that in this thread but RIM tight lips speaks volumes to me

All this makes the PB on par with other tablets out there. I do like the 7" screen size. I'll wait and see what's done about exchange email/calendars. I want to hear about VPN functions. In the demos it looks to function smooth.

If the PB is priced too high it may be in trouble though. I think Moto is about to make the same mistake that Galaxy Tab did

Either way I plan to wait till the other tablets are out and see what gives me the options I can live with.
    CrackBerry Genius

First you find out that if you don't have a BB you have to use web based mail, wait for 3rd party or RIM to finally put it in. They finally spoke it saying it will come as the software evolves. They probably didn't think there would be such an outlash from not including these services. iPad & Android both can do Exchange, yahoo and other mail services out of the box.
    I am missing something when I read this sort of claim- the pb had built in web browsing, whether the vehicle is wifi, tethering or carrier supported. You will have yahoo and every other sort of web based email available like all the other tablets. This device will be stand alone, simply with additional benifits for blackberry users. There are web reviews and youtube blogs everywhere clarifying this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

There's a difference from using a mail app that can pull all your emails in and push info to them vs having to sign into each web mailbox.

I don't see what you are missing honestly.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by kb5zht View Post
    I am missing something when I read this sort of claim- the pb had built in web browsing, whether the vehicle is wifi, tethering or carrier supported. You will have yahoo and every other sort of web based email available like all the other tablets. This device will be stand alone, simply with additional benifits for blackberry users. There are web reviews and youtube blogs everywhere clarifying this.
    So let's say you're a corporate user with 30 email accounts to check (CEO for example). If you have to sign in to each one through the web, the time it takes to do that make the PB useless. As a consumer, I don't have the time to sign in and check even 3 web mail boxes separately. I need them pushed to me. Thankfully, I'm a BlackBerry smartphone user, so that becomes a non-issue, but if I owned an Android phone or iPhone, then it would make the playbook not worth my money even if it cost 50p for a 512GB model.
    CrackBerry Visitor
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    So let's say you're a corporate user with 30 email accounts to check (CEO for example). If you have to sign in to each one through the web, the time it takes to do that make the PB useless. As a consumer, I don't have the time to sign in and check even 3 web mail boxes separately. I need them pushed to me. Thankfully, I'm a BlackBerry smartphone user, so that becomes a non-issue, but if I owned an Android phone or iPhone, then it would make the playbook not worth my money even if it cost 50p for a 512GB model.
    As I have stated before, I had access to a Galaxy Tab for a couple of weeks and all the email accounts I associated with gmail were pushed to the Tab in the same fashion as RIM's BIS. I did not have to separately sign into each one. They were pushed and I was notified of new messages the same way they were with my BB.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by grncherry1 View Post
    As I have stated before, I had access to a Galaxy Tab for a couple of weeks and all the email accounts I associated with gmail were pushed to the Tab in the same fashion as RIM's BIS. I did not have to separately sign into each one. They were pushed and I was notified of new messages the same way they were with my BB.
    The point I was making is, this Playbook is 100% useless unless you are a BlackBerry smartphone user. I have lots family and friends who aren't RIM haters, just prefer iPhone/Android, who wouldn't accept it even if it was given to them as a gift, they would simply return it and use the money to buy a Galaxy Tab or iPad 2. I also have a lot of BB smartphone using friends who don't want it.

Trust me, no matter how much word-of-mouth recommendation I make, it won't work. Personally, now that the Xoom has gone and beaten RIM to the punch, they'll be lucky to sell 50 Playbooks to consumers... Enterprises with BES already deployed, are going to be the main customers for this. And even those numbers are rapidly dropping.

Moral of the story is: RIM, get your **** straight! Or you're gonna go bust. Android is already starting to work its way into the global market, iPhone is taking the UK by storm, with about 30% of the UK being die-hard hardcore iPhone fanboys/girls. And we're talking extremely persuasive iPhone fanboys/girls. That can persuade anyone into getting an iPhone (I know a few whom would beat me up or murder me if they knew I used a BlackBerry, they don't accept I prefer BB to iPhone, and they aren't even friends of mine either, doesn't stop me using a BB though, and it never will).

Basically, people are being feared into buying an iPhone whereas the BB users don't tend to care for violence, and while being fanboyish, don't resort to violence to making people buy a BlackBerry. Android, WinMob, HTC, Samsung, RIM, Nokia, and everyone else, could all work together to build one giga-smartphone, and even then the inferior Apple product would outsell it in every way, because of the aggressive fear-inducing Apple fanboys.
    CrackBerry Visitor
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,443 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
    There will not be any fees for WiFi use. You are paying for your WiFi connection at your home or business and connecting directly to your WiFi with your Play Book will use network resources.

As far as tethering with your Blackberry to use the Internet, I am betting we will all, no matter what carrier, be paying a fee sooner or later. Even AT&T says that for now on if you change from an unlimited plan to any other plan you may never go back to unlimited. I think, in the end, even those who stay on unlimited will sooner or later lose it.

Our president has empowered the FCC to allow all carriers to charge for bandwidth use. The carriers can really do what they want, and will!

People who live on their wireless device and download lots of movies and other large files eat bandwidth SHOULD pay more than someone who uses less or waits till the can jump on WiFi.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-01-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Trust me, no matter how much word-of-mouth recommendation I make, it won't work. Personally, now that the Xoom has gone and beaten RIM to the punch, they'll be lucky to sell 50 Playbooks to consumers... Enterprises with BES already deployed, are going to be the main customers for this. And even those numbers are rapidly dropping.
    LOL. I'll give them more than that hahah but almost every forum or blog I go to and read the comments. The majority complain about the email and being tied to a BB, why log into yahoo,hotmail,gmail or outlook webmail when you can have one app pull the mail for all of them. I think they would have been better off having the ability to do both and have the non BB mail functions with the ability to be disabled by a BES admin.

I know RIM is saying this device is for Enterprise users but they can drop that IMO if the leaked Overview is real, the majority of the bullet points were under the Consumer heading even then you hear about using Flash, being able to watch online videos, the web experience, never talking about using the web pages that tie back into your backend system.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    There will not be any fees for WiFi use. You are paying for your WiFi connection at your home or business and connecting directly to your WiFi with your Play Book will use network resources.
    I don't think the poster was worried about paying a tethering fee on wifi. I think his point was that RIM said that you could use your existing dataplan for free with the BB. If that turns out to be not true, he's saying why get a PB when you can get any other wifi tablet and use your phones hotspot for internet and not be limited to a BB.

At least that's how I read it. For what it's worth I still think when people go to buy the PB they are going to see an * beside data usage and in small print fees may apply but I guess we'll see.

No tablet is going to be a day one purchase for me. I want to be able to compare the pros and cons of all of them. Either way I plan on using my phones hotspot with what ever tablet I decide on. If someone creates a super app for email/calendar that uses activsync I wouldn't be opposed to using it on a PB if I decide to buy one
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast