i know it isn't the best camera but all my pictures turn out very grainy looking. is there a setting that i need for better pictures?? thanks.
    01-12-12 09:11 PM
    i know it isn't the best camera but all my pictures turn out very grainy looking. is there a setting that i need for better pictures?? thanks.
    I haven't used the camera on the Playbook much, but lots of grain (with any camera), usually implies lack of light (not enough photons to hit the sensor). Add more light and your pictures will come out better.
    cafemag, Delirious D and sushistew like this.
    01-12-12 09:15 PM
    oh ok. i didnt know if it was just the lack of flash or if the sensor was just that bad. i dont know anything about cameras. thank you.
    01-12-12 09:19 PM
    Inside in artificial light the pictures look terrible without flash...but in natural light the PB takes very good pics. That's what i observed when using the video camera as well
    01-12-12 09:19 PM
    oh ok. i didnt know if it was just the lack of flash or if the sensor was just that bad. i dont know anything about cameras. thank you.
    It is possible that a poor sensor will give you grainy pictures, but the Playbook's sensor is pretty good in daylight, so it's not for lack of a quality sensor.

Even if the Playbook had a flash, you'd be better off providing more light onto your subject. Flash photography is very harsh looking on your subject. (As a general camera tip, for low light, you want a large sensor and a lens with a very low f-stop number.)
    01-12-12 09:30 PM
    ooo would be nice to have like a micro usb flash lol.
    01-12-12 09:36 PM
    In low light settings your going to have a grainy picture because the iso has to go up, therefore, using a larger f stop i believe

the playbook has a better camera then the ipad 2.

Here is a picture i took the other day with my playbook.

01-12-12 10:09 PM
    In low light settings your going to have a grainy picture because the iso has to go up, therefore, using a larger f stop i believe
    The ISO on a digital camera mostly acts as a multiplier against what the sensor receives. If there isn't enough light, making the ISO higher will only show you the grain better.

For f-stop, the lower the f-stop value, the more light the sensor receives. f1.4 will take pictures perfectly fine in candlelight whereas f8 will look like you're in the dark. You can turn up the ISO when using f8, but you're just boosting what the camera sees, which is just not much light and the picture will look grainy. Boosting the ISO on an f1.4 picture will look much better, less grain, since the sensor got a bunch of light to start with.
    01-12-12 10:32 PM
    I agree with the others..the lack of light makes the photo's grainy. Natural light is better than artificial light whenever i played around with the camera. I would have loved it if this had a flash at least in the back
    01-12-12 10:39 PM

ooooooooooooooo
    01-12-12 10:48 PM
    Well the playbook doesn't have any adjustments for aperture, shutter speed or ISO, so those subjects are probably a moot point although true. There are some tips to getting good indoor available light photos though.

You have three settings to choose from for exposure "Auto" probablly good for outdoor shots. "Sports" this setting typically gives you the widest aperture and fastest shutter speed. And "White Board" I'm not sure what the intent was on this setting but it basically brightens the entire scene so it can be the best option for indoor available light photos.

I say can be, because it can blow out highlights too, and probably has the highest ISO setting which will bring in more grain. Either sports or white board are good choices for indoor, but if there is decent light auto will work well too. Just try them all to see which is best for the particular shot.

The biggest key to getting good indoor shots is camera stability. Having stablization turned on will help, but the best thing you can do is not hand hold the playbook. Hold it against a solid object, a table or wall, anything that will help you hold it still.

Judging from the depth of field you get I'm guessing the aperture is pretty small, the reason for the shutter lag. So on the whiteboard setting the shutter is open for quite a while so camera stablity is key if you're hand holding your going to get blurry photos.
    01-13-12 05:45 AM
    For a tablet, the PB's camera is more then adequate and better then what the competitors have or don't have. That said, it ain't no Leica, friend.
    01-13-12 05:50 AM

the playbook has a better camera then the ipad 2.

Here is a picture i took the other day with my playbook.

Click to view quoted image
    Ah, the automobile formerly known as SAAB. Nice looking interior.
    01-13-12 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD