Just tried a 720p video on my PB with the screen brightness at 65%, Wi-Fi on, NO AUDIO. I get 2.67 mW.

So, it's 19/2.67 ~ 7 hours max. Unless he's got a unit with a solar panel.
    AnandTech - The BlackBerry PlayBook Review

Anand reported about 9 hours playback with 720p
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-13-12 03:54 AM
    It is now day 5, with not using my PlayBook, which is on standby....battery level, 48%, and that's with doing the 4 updates from RIM on some apps, and reading e-mails. So far, so good.
    04-13-12 08:04 AM
    OP, I don't know if this thread should have such title "Phenomenal Battery Life", unless people consider typical use for PB is putting it into standby with occasional use. I would expect it to last for a long time, if not weeks, in standby.

When I use PB heavily at work, starting at 100% charge, it runs out of battery before the day is over, so I have a dock charger at work as well to charge it up quickly. I have screen brightness set to ~20%. I don't play videos or games at work, mostly PIM, docs to go, PDF viewer, Splashtop, etc.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-13-12 08:18 AM
    OP, I don't know if this thread should have such title "Phenomenal Battery Life", unless people consider typical use for PB is putting it into standby with occasional use. I would expect it to last for a long time, if not weeks, in standby.

When I use PB heavily at work, starting at 100% charge, it runs out of battery before the day is over, so I have a dock charger at work as well to charge it up quickly. I have screen brightness set to ~20%. I don't play videos or games at work, mostly PIM, docs to go, PDF viewer, Splashtop, etc.
    It can be useful, as are other testing/discussions in this thread. In standby my iPad last forEVER, in standby my PB is ok, BUT in standby my Galaxy Tab Plus is dead in a day! As for turning stuff off and other saving tips I CAN see how that would be helpful to lots of people, so I would not be so critical, even though I don't use those tips myself. I just leave everything on and charge as often as I need too.

Folks,

Lets JUST discuss the issues at hand here. If you want to ignore folks that's a GREAT idea, but no need to let everyone know.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-13-12 08:28 AM
    The OP asked Kenny to leave because the OP didn't create this thread to compare PlayBook to other devices. Rich, I love ya. You have a big heart. But you're doing the wrong thing in this thread.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    04-13-12 08:36 AM
    I'm asking the mods to move this to discussion area and read all posts...deleted posts especially.
    04-13-12 08:39 AM
    excellent call. I'm of the opinion that all of the deleted posts (aside from our bickering) would have been more viable as a separate discussion about how to improve PB battery life, and how it compares to other devices, since the derailing that happened here was very clearly not welcomed in this one. The fact that it continued after that was a pretty good indicator that the intent to agitate was purposeful.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 04-13-12 at 08:49 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-13-12 08:45 AM
    The thread is interesting to me because I don't share the long standby times others report.
    My battery life during normal use seems to be similar to others though.

After some testing it seems to be caused by the wifi sharing feature. In airplane mode I have no issues. I recently tried removing the mapping from my PC and standby time actually went down.
    I'm not bothered much just curious as to the reason why my setup is causing this.
    Now that I'm thinking of it, the next test may be to leave WIFI on but turn off file sharing and see what that gets me.

Thanks Al for posting your experience.
    04-13-12 08:52 AM

Tips&tricks side :
    For those who does not have a dock available:
    while a simple micro USB won't be able to charge efficiently your PB, having it plugged when your PB is on your desk reduces the power loss (I'll estimate it roughly as if your PB was only consuming half of the normal battery energy).
    04-13-12 09:02 AM
    The OP asked Kenny to leave because the OP didn't create this thread to compare PlayBook to other devices. Rich, I love ya. You have a big heart. But you're doing the wrong thing in this thread.

Thanks Chrisy. Next time I create a thread, I'll include a list of unwanted posters with my very first post. Hope they'll abide. This hasn't been the case before.

Anyway, first, I've been testing the PB battery, of course if you've noticed. And I've actually PMed some of the posters to cross test power consumption, because I am getting radically different results on both of my PBs. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Second, how can you say something is "phenomenal' without comparison? Nothing wrong with comparisons. If I didn't know what other cars' fuel consumption was, would I be able to say that my car's 20 MPG is phenomenal
    04-13-12 09:15 AM
    AnandTech - The BlackBerry PlayBook Review

Anand reported about 9 hours playback with 720p
    Thanks. Looks more in line with what I get.. That's with 50% brightness, I suppose.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-13-12 at 09:30 AM.
    04-13-12 09:21 AM
    You guys have been warned enough!
    kennyliu and Hockey_Fan10 like this.
    04-13-12 10:14 AM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD