This past Sunday, I fully charged the PlayBook, and decided to not use it for a few days, starting at 10 AM. With the exception of checking e-mails twice a day, or if I happen to hear the notification bell, I left it on standby, wi-fi on, etc.

It is 10 AM now, 4 days of standby, and I have 76% still on the battery. That's about a 1% discharge rate every 4 hours.

04-11-12 08:58 AM
    I wish....
    zma15 and kennyliu like this.
    04-11-12 09:09 AM
    My PlayBook has great battery life also. I charge it once every two day. I don't have many apps on it. I use it for web browsing get, music and movies.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-11-12 12:05 PM
    I think bla1ze mentioned that he let didnt touch his new ipad for a couple days and it only dropped 3-4%, my transformer loses about the same as the PB in standby
    04-11-12 12:17 PM
    I have 62% battery while typing this post and I have not charged my PlayBook in 2 days. I've been a little busy at work so my posting is way down, but I have dropped a few lines here and there on Crackberry, did some browsing, Facebook, some music...ect. IMO...my PlayBook gets great battery life. Those tablet battery stats.....are wrong....period. Some, not all, are hyped up to sell.......IMO
    Last edited by spencerdl; 04-11-12 at 12:25 PM.
    04-11-12 12:22 PM
    Mine drains pretty heavy, unless i turn off everything.
    04-11-12 12:31 PM
    Yeaaaah, and my Android Thunderbolt specs weren't quite accurate either.
    04-11-12 12:46 PM
    This past Sunday, I fully charged the PlayBook, and decided to not use it for a few days, starting at 10 AM. With the exception of checking e-mails twice a day, or if I happen to hear the notification bell, I left it on standby, wi-fi on, etc.

It is 10 AM now, 4 days of standby, and I have 76% still on the battery. That's about a 1% discharge rate every 4 hours.

I bought a 64GB during the holidays and I see a similar pattern, I took off mine fully charged on Saturday morning and still at 56% with approx 30 minutes to 1 hour daily usage.

I have a 16 GB which I bought on launch day and can't be said the same about it, it drains battery at a faster rate. There is literally no difference in the type of apps that I run on both.

Also I observed the new one that I bought finds my GPS location quickly but the old one goes on and on and finally gives up.
    04-11-12 12:54 PM
    I bought a 64GB during the holidays and I see a similar pattern, I took off mine fully charged on Saturday morning and still at 56% with approx 30 minutes to 1 hour daily usage.

I have a 16 GB which I bought on launch day and can't be said the same about it, it drains battery at a faster rate. There is literally no difference in the type of apps that I run on both.

Also I observed the new one that I bought finds my GPS location quickly but the old one goes on and on and finally gives up.
    makes me wonder if the 32/64 are not built with the same components or something.
    04-11-12 12:57 PM
    iPad 2 is NOT capable of decoding 1080p video.

iPad 2 - Technical Specifications

The other 3 tablets are brand new tablets that less than 3 months old.

Newer tablets comes with newer parts --- of course it has better battery life.

The Playbook is a 1 year old tablet --- and the battery test result came from a 1 year old firmware.
    04-11-12 12:59 PM
    I wish I shared the OP's battery life. Standby seems to kill my device. Sometimes I'll put on Crackle to bed, stream an episode of Seinfeld. If I fall asleep before closing everything out, I wake up to dead PlayBook.
    04-11-12 01:18 PM
    But less excited without bridge.

So he breaks even.
    kennyliu and spike12 like this.
    04-11-12 01:47 PM

When you say "checking e-mails twice a day", can you clarify whether or not that means you are either: (i) using the native email email app program with manual sync; (ii) checking your email via bridge; or (iii) using the browser to log on to your email service.

I ask as, in my case, the only way I can get battery performance remotely close to what you are is if I do not use the native email app at all, i.e., I just do my email via bridge/bt.

When I try to create an account using the native app, my battery performance, with all of my remaining usage of the tablet being equal, drops so significantly that it would be impossible to go through a 24 hour period without charging.
    04-11-12 02:12 PM
    I had the same problem.. Until I changed the sync option for email updates.. And there's a big change in the battery life..
    kennyliu and BryantCarpio like this.
    04-11-12 02:24 PM
    I had the same problem.. Until I changed the sync option for email updates.. And there's a big change in the battery life..
    Second that. Do not set the sync to "manual".
    Bakamushi likes this.
    04-11-12 02:46 PM
    what about the people who dont even use the native email client? i don't and i dont think my playbook has great battery life.

i leave mines in my locker while im at work until i can get back to it at lunch time and even in standby it loses more than what the OP is quoting. But these are just my findings

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    04-11-12 03:09 PM
    When you say "checking e-mails twice a day", can you clarify whether or not that means you are either: (i) using the native email email app program with manual sync; (ii) checking your email via bridge; or (iii) using the browser to log on to your email service.

I ask as, in my case, the only way I can get battery performance remotely close to what you are is if I do not use the native email app at all, i.e., I just do my email via bridge/bt.

When I try to create an account using the native app, my battery performance, with all of my remaining usage of the tablet being equal, drops so significantly that it would be impossible to go through a 24 hour period without charging.
    Just manual sync. If I see the red light blinking, I check for mail. If I check my iPhone first, and find new messages, I delete what I don't want, and then go to the PlayBook to delte the same messages. Which reminds me, if I delete e-mail messages on the 8330 Curve, it will also delete the same messages automatically from my ISP. Now, I find myself clearing out the iPhone, then the PlayBook, then going to my ISP and deleting there as well.
    04-11-12 03:21 PM
    iPad 2 is NOT capable of decoding 1080p video.

iPad 2 - Technical Specifications

The other 3 tablets are brand new tablets that less than 3 months old.

Newer tablets comes with newer parts --- of course it has better battery life.

The Playbook is a 1 year old tablet --- and the battery test result came from a 1 year old firmware.
    Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.
    �Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
    �Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-11-12 03:41 PM
    Does bridge use less battery than wifi?

I'm in class right now and the school has wifi but in some corner classrooms the wifi is not strong.

Did I mention...I love bridge? Other folks tabs aren't working.
    04-11-12 06:29 PM
    Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.
    �Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
    �Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    Probably upgraded the video player with an iOS upgrade because it was different than the Apple support webpage.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-11-12 06:41 PM
    Actually I was wrong --- the current ipad 2 uses a brand new 32nm chip --- which is different from the older ipad 2 that was launched last year.

$399 iPad 2 and new Apple TV have a dual-core 32nm Apple A5 that could save battery | The Verge

So if you bought the ipad 2 last year --- it cannot decode 1080p videos. Only the ipad 2 that were available for the last month can decode 1080p videos.

A process shrink from 45nm to 32nm will make the current ipad 2 more battery efficient vs the older ipad 2 --- and that's not even talking about 720p vs. 1080p video.
    Last edited by samab; 04-11-12 at 09:52 PM.
    04-11-12 09:49 PM
    Does bridge use less battery than wifi?

I'm in class right now and the school has wifi but in some corner classrooms the wifi is not strong.

Did I mention...I love bridge? Other folks tabs aren't working.
    I don't think so. I posted a couple of weeks ago screen shots of my Battery Guru charts during a work day with wifi,bridge,push email, and calendar sync all active. I worked it pretty hard. When I was busy with other things, I ran music in the background and looped videos for around two or three hours, got off around 18:45, went home, used it some more and played some MCombat. At around 22:00 I still had 48%.

If someone could tell me how to attach a link to a post, I'll repost it. The graphs show it all. Obviously some PBs have excellent battery life. FWIW, mine is a 64g.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-11-12 10:08 PM
    Actually I was wrong --- the current ipad 2 uses a brand new 32nm chip --- which is different from the older ipad 2 that was launched last year.

$399 iPad 2 and new Apple TV have a dual-core 32nm Apple A5 that could save battery | The Verge

So if you bought the ipad 2 last year --- it cannot decode 1080p videos. Only the ipad 2 that were available for the last month can decode 1080p videos.

A process shrink from 45nm to 32nm will make the current ipad 2 more battery efficient vs the older ipad 2 --- and that's not even talking about 720p vs. 1080p video.
    IIRC, 1080p playback was introduced back in October last year with iOS 5.0.
    04-11-12 10:25 PM
    I don't think so. I posted a couple of weeks ago screen shots of my Battery Guru charts during a work day with wifi,bridge,push email, and calendar sync all active. I worked it pretty hard. When I was busy with other things, I ran music in the background and looped videos for around two or three hours, got off around 18:45, went home, used it some more and played some MCombat. At around 22:00 I still had 48%.

If someone could tell me how to attach a link to a post, I'll repost it. The graphs show it all. Obviously some PBs have excellent battery life. FWIW, mine is a 64g.
    Best thing is to post on tinypics and use the img link

If you want to post a link to your ppst, go to you post history, find the post, click on the post (not the thread) and copy the url and paste it in your reply here.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-11-12 at 10:37 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-11-12 10:26 PM

By the way, is bridge the same as BT DUN/hotspot?
    04-11-12 10:35 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD