i am trying to figure out why large pdf files only get to page 15-18, and then Adobe reader closes, no error, no nothing. One of the main reasons I got the playbook is to store and access pdf files out in the field. I had a perfect opportunity today to take it to a job site, but couldn't get it to cooperate with the pdf files. I ended up taking my netbook I don't know how to solve this problem, suggestions?
    06-30-11 12:43 AM
    Mods: Can we have a "PDF on the PlayBook sucks" sticky please?
    Altarocks and Speczorz like this.
    06-30-11 12:50 AM
    This problem started when the latest operating system update was installed. it appears that Adobe doesn't close on all files. in my case and in several others it happens with newspapers and magazines. i reported the problem to RIM over a week ago and earlier this week they requested the PDF file causing the problem. No resolution yet, however. Like you i rely on PDF files and until the most recent operating system update it worked well, given the limitations of the installed Adobe Reader, but now my Playbook is virtually useless for this function.
    06-30-11 05:33 AM
    Had the same problem as you. Adobe Reader would close suddenly after reading a few pages. I downloaded the version of Adobe Reader from App World and installed that. Don't know if they are the same as the pre-installed one, but it seemed to have solved the problem. I can now read PDF files without reader closing all of a sudden. Maybe this would work for you.
    06-30-11 07:24 AM
    Had the same problem as you. Adobe Reader would close suddenly after reading a few pages. I downloaded the version of Adobe Reader from App World and installed that. Don't know if they are the same as the pre-installed one, but it seemed to have solved the problem. I can now read PDF files without reader closing all of a sudden. Maybe this would work for you.
    That is interesting. It might be possible that the versions vary by some 5th decimal place or just the act of installing it separate from the OS-included-version overwrites some buggy aspect. If you continue to report good behavior that could help others.
    06-30-11 08:55 AM
    Tried the reinstall but didn't help. Trying to love my playbook but not being able to read PDF's is lame.
    06-30-11 02:03 PM
    My copy of Adobe Reader doesn't seem to crash after flipping through a few pages, but it does crash trying to open large documents. (Which are impossible to read anyway with no bookmark sypport).
    06-30-11 05:44 PM
    To the individuals who are having difficulties with their pdf files, do you know if there are "special" characters in your file names? Were the files created through a Windows or Apple environment? Were they created using an actual Adobe acrobat product or were they created through MS Word's "save as pdf" option? Also, does this happen for documents that are of a certain size - not in page numbers - but kb or mb?
    06-30-11 09:26 PM
    Same problem here, start happening after the last update, but it's not about size. I have a lot of files above of 100Mb working fine.

I've tried everything; split file, reduce file size, print to another file, convert OCR to image, delete bookmarks and thumbnails but nothing works.

I uninstalled the old preinstalled version, and reinstalled the latest from App World and that didn't help either.

I'm starting to change my mind about the reliability of the playbook.
    07-01-11 06:40 AM
    i can add the following experience:
    as an architect i would benefit greatly having all my construction plans (from autocad files) with me on the building site. The playbook would be a great help here but im seeing these pdf issues as well, to the point its too big a worry of pulling out the gadget in a coordination meeting and having it freeze on you.
    most of my files work well, despite size, but some dont, namely medium to large vectorised pdf (incomplete prints or bogging down when opening or zooming). My as of yet untested theory is that the pdf printer you use is a factor, aswell as vectorising or not.
    Will experiment and report back, but for now im assuming you can find a way to make it work anyway.. maybe dividing the larger files, or selecting a non-vectorising pdfprinter/printmode.
    also: adobes own printer seems to work better within autocad than others, but still not perfect.

ps: i still absolutely adore the PB, despite the issues
    07-01-11 07:25 AM
    The other posters are correct, some files don't exhibit this problem. Unfortunately, the files that exhibit these problems, are the files that I need, such as parts manuals, service manuals, etc. The page number that it closes on seems to vary, so it is a mystery. Basically, the Playbook is not usable to me for the purpose I got it for. On a good note, it is awesome for surfing the net at home
    07-01-11 02:22 PM
    hermit, have you tried for instance using another pdf printer eg cutepdf?
    even reprinting your original pdfs with another printer on yr pc?
    07-01-11 02:55 PM
    hermit, have you tried for instance using another pdf printer eg cutepdf?
    even reprinting your original pdfs with another printer on yr pc?
    I don't have a need to print the files, I need them for reference in the field. My goal is to have the pdf versions of manuals, wiring schematics, etc. on my playbook for several manufacturers of restaurant, and refrigeration equipment. To have the printed versions of these manuals would require a large trailer pulled behind my service van, which is not what I want to do. I could have all of this information on my Playbook, literally in my hand, without the need for internet access while on the job site. I have tried to do this on my Storm, but the screen is just too small for my aging eyes. Do they have cutepdf for the Playbook?
    07-01-11 03:34 PM
    Oh whoa... I actually experience the same problem today x_x. On a few separate PDF. I have quite a few e-books on PDF and this is quite annoying :3
    07-01-11 03:39 PM
    I don't have a need to print the files, I need them for reference in the field. My goal is to have the pdf versions of manuals, wiring schematics, etc. on my playbook for several manufacturers of restaurant, and refrigeration equipment. To have the printed versions of these manuals would require a large trailer pulled behind my service van, which is not what I want to do. I could have all of this information on my Playbook, literally in my hand, without the need for internet access while on the job site. I have tried to do this on my Storm, but the screen is just too small for my aging eyes. Do they have cutepdf for the Playbook?
    He didn't mean print them to paper, but rather to "print" them to PDF.

The belief is that the problem might be caused by the way some of the PDF files were generated. What you can do on your main PC is install a PDF printer driver like CutePDF.

On your computer open up the PDF file that you're having trouble with on your PlayBook, then go File->Print. But instead of choosing your paper printer, you choose the CutePDF print driver. The document is then "printed" to another PDF file.

You then take that new PDF file that you "printed" and try to use it on the PlayBook. The thinking here is that CutePDF might encode it in a different way that your PlayBook might open.

On another note, like you I have various service manuals that I want to use on my PlayBook. As you know, these service manuals are hundreds of pages in length and usually organized with bookmarks. Unfortunately even if I could open the bigger files, they're impossible to navigate without bookmark support.
    the.ak.hermit and bAAx like this.
    07-01-11 03:57 PM
    Well I tried cutepdf, but the file it converted was corrupt, after 3 tries, I gave up. So now I guess I will have to hope a future update fixes this.
    07-02-11 11:00 AM
    Well I tried cutepdf, but the file it converted was corrupt, after 3 tries, I gave up. So now I guess I will have to hope a future update fixes this.
    For Windows use XPS Writer.

Works like a charm.
    07-02-11 11:26 AM
    For Windows use XPS Writer.

Works like a charm.
    What app allows viewing of XPS documents on Playbook? I can't find it.
    07-02-11 12:25 PM
    I reported the issue to Customer Support and they replied yesterday that "... the issue with large PDF files is fixed in a future update to the PlayBook software". The new software's date of release is still unknown.
    07-05-11 07:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD