1. Actually it works much better because emails are not being replicated and they are secure. Drop bluetooth the p.b. doesn't know anymore about your emails.

2. There are 60 million reason to buy a playbook, I'm sure RIM at this point is not really worried about the non-blackberry owner.

3. But if truncation is an issue for you, I've never had a truncated email in 1.5 years, the email content should be available via other means on the playbook.

4. I don't give a hoot about aggregating social information, to me that is not a downside, and I'm not sure that is even a consideration in the global sense.

5. The PB gives their RIM BES stronghold accounts real rational to incorporate the playbook into their employees workflows with tight control via BES policies.

6. I don't think RIM is missing out on anything by not building an activesync client into the pb. There are those who will decry this as the biggest deal breaker on the face of the earth, but others won't really care.
    1. Some people want their emails replicated and if you want secure email, there is an app for that.

2. Don't forget to subtract the AT&T users from your count and those companies with restrictive BES security policies. Also there are plenty of BB owners who are not buying a PB. Some even post to this forum.

3. I just had an email with a very large PDF attachment that was truncated on my BB. I had to reach for my iPad to read it.

4. I am with you here.

5. Many "RIM BES stronghold accounts" are not allowing employee's PBs to bridge to their BBs.Others are already deploying iPads with Good to select employees.

6. Lack of activesync is a showstopper for me. It works so much better than BIS for gmail access. IMAP Idle should also be supported. I do like how economical BIS is with data but I hate that it is unable to keep my BB in sync with gmail.
    04-26-11 02:33 PM
    Can we please stop bring this post back?
    Even the title fails
    come one.
    Almost on the verge of failure?
    The Playbook is almost close to failing.

Yes in day one it was able to sell 25 million dollars in a single day. at minimum. thats if all that was bought was the 500dollar version.
    Let this die please.~
    Would a name, that is closer to the name of the actual article make you happy?
    04-26-11 02:34 PM
    1. Some people want their emails replicated and if you want secure email, there is an app for that.

2. Don't forget to subtract the AT&T users from your count and those companies with restrictive BES security policies. Also there are plenty of BB owners who are not buying a PB. Some even post to this forum.

3. I just had an email with a very large PDF attachment that was truncated on my BB. I had to reach for my iPad to read it.

4. I am with you here.

5. Many "RIM BES stronghold accounts" are not allowing employee's PBs to bridge to their BBs.Others are already deploying iPads with Good to select employees.

6. Lack of activesync is a showstopper for me. It works so much better than BIS for gmail access. IMAP Idle should also be supported. I do like how economical BIS is with data but I hate that it is unable to keep my BB in sync with gmail.
    1. There is an app for that...lol, said like a true Appleian.

2.I've had my grimy hands on an ATT bridged playbook. Works like a charm.

3. I have never gotten a truncated email. If I need to I have my wintel laptop which has 100% compatibility and "flash capabable", full keyboard where I can type 80+ wpm. There are times I have to review and respond to documents over 100 pages, in this case a full computing environment is needed. And honestly, it's a 1000x faster than any tablet to do it on a laptop. If I need to I can have the document sent to my incoming ftp site.

5. Some RIM strongholds are reviewing the PB and allowing deployment. This is like everything else in life, there is no one specific answer and even in fortune 50 companies can vary by department.

6. Lack of activesync is not a showstopper to anyone I've talked to thus far. As I said in my post, some people it's a big showstopper. But it's one of those things one can't really generalize about.
    04-26-11 03:39 PM
    Would a name, that is closer to the name of the actual article make you happy?
    You couldn't have chosen a more boring title

No place for some creativity in this board?
    04-26-11 03:41 PM
    Some of our experiences cannot be the same, and it sounds like you are not happy with your purchase, I would return the unit for a refund. If you are looking on the board for a reason to keep it, I guess in time, you would be able to find some of those reasons. I think your mind is already made up. You should keep it or not as YOU desire, don't ask us to justify your purchase

That being said, AT&T does not support the Bridge app, but you can still download and use.

Cheers,
    Certainly I'll make my own mind up. I'm not asking anyone to justify my purchase--what is it that you feel justifies yours? maybe I'm missing something. Yes I suppose my disappointment is obvious, but I have an open mind. It's just I'm not seeing what the hype is about and instead of showing why you and others like it, all I see is the bashing of those of us who are disappointed. So, if you like it, why?
    04-26-11 03:51 PM
    I'm pretty happy with my PlayBook and I can see the potential for the future. I still remember the early days of the iphone, before it got the app store. I was willing to buy this thing BEFORE it had full app support on the promise it showed and on the hardware, and so far I am NOT disappointed!
    I'm really interested in this: what specifically do you see as the promise it shows--I will agree that (except for the 1G RAM and lack of an SD slot) the hardware is nice. But what do you expect it to be doing that it isn't doing now?
    04-26-11 03:54 PM

3. I have never gotten a truncated email. If I need to I have my wintel laptop which has 100% compatibility and "flash capabable", full keyboard where I can type 80+ wpm. There are times I have to review and respond to documents over 100 pages, in this case a full computing environment is needed. And honestly, it's a 1000x faster than any tablet to do it on a laptop. If I need to I can have the document sent to my incoming ftp site.

6. Lack of activesync is not a showstopper to anyone I've talked to thus far. As I said in my post, some people it's a big showstopper. But it's one of those things one can't really generalize about.
    3. I have a Wintel netbook but I typically stays at home. I had no problem reviewing the 228 page document on my iPad. Unless I actually needed to edit the document, I don't think a full computing environment is needed.

6. As I said, for me no active sync (or alternatively IMAP IDLE support) is a show stopper for me, at least on a mobile device intended to supplement my Blackberries.
    04-26-11 03:57 PM
    3. I have a Wintel netbook but I typically stays at home. I had no problem reviewing the 228 page document on my iPad. Unless I actually needed to edit the document, I don't think a full computing environment is needed.

6. As I said, for me no active sync (or alternatively IMAP IDLE support) is a show stopper for me, at least on a mobile device intended to supplement my Blackberries.
    3. Yes, I'm talking about review and editing.

6. Use exchange/bes don't need active sync.
    04-26-11 04:03 PM

6. Use exchange/bes don't need active sync.
    Active sync is for my personal email. Corporate is BES or Good.
    04-26-11 04:20 PM
    Remember, the PlayBook doesn't have to be a failure to fail.It only has to be perceived as a failure to fail. This is still an expensive device and with enough poor or mediocre reviews no one will spend that kind of money on it.It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    RIM took the logical first step needed to defend their turf. Companies with budgets to spend are not easily swayed by reviews. They get test devices and make informed decisions. $500 is not a lot for a large company to spend on a computing device. And further, large purchasers will probably get discounts. RIM will use those "wins" to generate positive press.
    04-26-11 04:32 PM
    RIM took the logical first step needed to defend their turf. Companies with budgets to spend are not easily swayed by reviews. They get test devices and make informed decisions. $500 is not a lot for a large company to spend on a computing device. And further, large purchasers will probably get discounts. RIM will use those "wins" to generate positive press.
    We typically spend $850 per desktop for most of our users. We could easily knock off more than $100 off if we didn't buy top-line corporate desktops so $500 for a toy is a fair chunk of change and isn't even a consideration for my company.
    04-26-11 05:29 PM
    That was a cool interactive chart, touch and drag works on the Playbook.
    04-26-11 05:52 PM
    hi

dont be selfish buddy not all of us have a blackberry phone so RIM needs to create a native email etc... playbook is for all not only for the blackberry users. FYI

I have to say....I am slightly disappointed in the reviews. I think they all undervalued the beauty of the PB.

Frankly I haven't put it down. What are they talking about no native email? I'm pretty sure when I am tethered in I have native email.

If your tethered in with your corporate BB ...that would be your corporate email no?

A lot of these reviewers/bloggers that are apple/android fans tend to love to down play any of the good of the PB. ...why do you think they all talked about the "power button" issue. Uhh wtf? Seems like a lame excuse to ***** about a device. Web browser incomplete?

ATT will come around. Big deal. I'm not overly concerned. Mainly because bell canada lets me tether :P

I also love how they say ohhh doesn't have 3g/4g/lte...last i checked you can only get the itampon in 3G...and pay for an extra data plan. Meanwhile I'll continue to tether for free.
    04-26-11 06:05 PM
    hi

dont be selfish buddy not all of us have a blackberry phone so RIM needs to create a native email etc... playbook is for all not only for the blackberry users. FYI
    You can't handle Flash because Steve Jobs says so. Enjoy your Ipad.
    04-26-11 06:30 PM
    hi,

actually i dont have ipad, i choose to have playbook and like it so much but i understand the frustration right now that we needs this kind of stuff, its not like that we needs this as part of the apps but its a necessity for all the users.

You can't handle Flash because Steve Jobs says so. Enjoy your Ipad.
    04-26-11 06:58 PM
    The review seems pretty valid. The PlayBook is just suffering from RIM's failure to produce it fast enough. I know many of you don't like to hear this, but people aren't wanting to purchase an incomplete product. They made us wait multiple months for its release and it doesn't even have native calendar and email even though those were advertised when it was being announced.

Maybe people will like it more when all of these software updates come out.
    04-26-11 07:55 PM

Our society is an instant gratification society. The general public does not want "fixes" and "updates" and they certainly do not want to "wait". Products that succeed do so by word of mouth. So far the negative greatly out weigh the positive when it comes to the PlayBook.
    Actually, kinda true. Many people wouldn't put an offer on a steal of a house that has everything they needed if it had blue shag carpeting.

A little intellectual honesty- You still have your email available on your smartphone. How many of you were planning on carrying only a PB? I thought so. Yes, we all wish the PB did everything, like yesterday. The PB does have glitches which have definitely detracted from the ownership experience for me. Why do people want it to fail? I want it to get better, soon. The iPad is a slick product, not doubt about it, with all those neat, 3-axis rotating molecule apps and all. But I'm sticking with the PB for now (or at least until the end of the return period), because of the form factor and potential. Another observation- some people can buy 5 phones, 3 different tablets and 3 computers in under 2 years, where some will buy one of each in the same period. This probably says a lot about one's tolerance for sub-par functionality out of the box.
    P.S.-Never owned a Blackberry, iPhone , or iPad.
    Last edited by looksee; 04-26-11 at 08:03 PM.
    04-26-11 07:59 PM
    Yeah...great suggestion. Just tell me: How can I reply to already received mails during a ten hour flight without WiFi access? How do I even get to read these old mails?
    Some of you guys are really out of this world...playing flash games online, using browser apps online...ckecking/composing mail online...you guys seem to live in an unlimited wireless availability universe far away from planet Earth...or you still live with your mother and don't even know how a plane looks.
    Seriously, guys...this is why the PB will fail.
    I hear what you are saying. However, when we fly, there is always wifi available for a slight fee. I never use it because I don't need it, but it IS there.
    04-26-11 08:28 PM
    I'm really interested in this: what specifically do you see as the promise it shows--I will agree that (except for the 1G RAM and lack of an SD slot) the hardware is nice. But what do you expect it to be doing that it isn't doing now?
    Mostly the apps, when all the SDKs are out there and when developers start REALLY pumping out the apps to take advantage of the hardware, this thiung will shine. The OS needs some polish from RIM too AND that is coming, so far I have already received 2 OS updates and I expect many MANY more. Native email & PIM is coming, plus support for Android Apps and BB Apps.
    water_rodent likes this.
    04-26-11 08:34 PM
144 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD