Well. This morning I connected for the first time the Bb Playbook to my Dell M1730 Vista Laptop. I had already preinstalled the Bb desktop software to my PC. As soon as I connected my Playbook via USB, the computer detected it and proceeded to "install drivers" on the lower right side of the desktop next to where the clock is. It then booted up the Bb Desktop software which asked me to restart computer. I did, my computer did not boot up, lights came on but the screen never showed me anything. My Playbook which was still connected to the PC showed a screen that says: Installing Drivers. It shows a Monitor to the left and the playbook sign on the right with arrows between them. However I see nothing telling me its working on something, no % or status bar. Further more it tells me to open up the driver installation on my PC if it hasnt opened it yet. But my comp continues to show nothing. I disconected the Bb and tried to turn on comp again, now it does the same with or without thr blackberry plugged, it just stays there lights on but no screen or sounds. Only diff between when the Bb is attached or not is that the Bb automatically shows the screen previously described. I waited 20 min to see if it was really installing something but nothing happens.

Help? Thanks!!
    04-30-11 08:25 AM
    I don't see why it would have done that, it seems really odd.. But restart your computer. If you can't hold the power button to shut it off, then unplug it, plug it back in, and turn on the computer. That seems like it's the only thing you could do, and if it doesn't work wait for another persons more helpful reply, or take the computer in to someone who knows more about it.
    04-30-11 08:42 AM
    I don't see why it would have done that, it seems really odd.. But restart your computer. If you can't hold the power button to shut it off, then unplug it, plug it back in, and turn on the computer. That seems like it's the only thing you could do, and if it doesn't work wait for another persons more helpful reply, or take the computer in to someone who knows more about it.
    Hey thanks for your reply.

I did that. I tried rebooting it without the Bb plugged, with it plugged as well. I used the power button of the PC because theres nothing else I can do. I even removed the battery to make sure it was really shutting down.

Could it be the PC got screwed because the PC rebooted with the BB connected still? Maybe it tried to boot up using the Bb HD and got messed up? Sigh.
    04-30-11 09:05 AM
    Can you try to boot from cd/dvd and use a Windows repair disk?
    With some laptops you have to press F8 or F12 or Del to show boot options and pick your cd/dvd drive.
    I had vista kill itself after windows update or installing new hardware, I was able solve it with a repair disk, this your best option now for a quick resolution.
    Don't know how far your install is skewed but you could try pressing F8 to see if you can get vista boot options to show and let it start with last known working configuration or something like that.
    Last edited by leemiltz; 04-30-11 at 09:13 AM.
    04-30-11 09:11 AM
    if you get only lights and no video and you are comfortable with the inside of your computer and know where the memory is, you could try to re-seat that. many times that will work in situations like this. make sure your pc is unplugged before you do so.

past that im not really sure about giving you advice on here - its prob best if you contact a local repair tech.
    04-30-11 09:15 AM
    Tried reseating RAM.. Nothing

Tried F8, F12 and all other F's and nothing comes up..
    04-30-11 09:51 AM
    Tried reseating RAM.. Nothing

Tried F8, F12 and all other F's and nothing comes up..

Tried booting with Windows Install CD nothing happens.. I dont have a Windows Fix CD
    04-30-11 09:52 AM
    ugh sounds awful, I feel for you

try looking here, although microsoft support is not always helpful

Search The Knowledge Base
    04-30-11 10:12 AM
    04-30-11 12:25 PM
    I don't know what Dell do but HP partition the drive and leave one partition there with a restore image of the factory settings. If you have that, try using that to restore to factory settings.

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA FOLLOWING THIS PATH OF ACTION. A BACKUP OPTION MAY OR MAY NOT BE PROVIDED IN THE FACTORY RESTORE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DATA LOST FROM THIS RESTORE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 12:33 PM
    Sounds like while installing the software it hit a bad sector on the hard drive.
    04-30-11 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD