Sold my iPad 2 and immediately bought a Playbook. Love the device but having an issue getting any media on the device.

After 3 hours on the phone with RIM I was unable to fix an issue with the Playbook not able to connect to my PC (doesn't show up as a drive or sync with BB Desktop Software). They sent me all over the place to various tiered support and tried several fixes with no solution. The final word from RIM was the device was faulty so I exchanged the Playbook for a new one and ended up with the same issue.

Anyone else run into this issue and have a fix? I have updated all software and am running Windows 7 64bit. This issue exists on my desktop and laptop so it isn't an issue with the PC or usb etc.
    04-29-11 08:20 PM
    Sold my iPad 2 and immediately bought a Playbook. Love the device but having an issue getting any media on the device.

After 3 hours on the phone with RIM I was unable to fix an issue with the Playbook not able to connect to my PC (doesn't show up as a drive or sync with BB Desktop Software). They sent me all over the place to various tiered support and tried several fixes with no solution. The final word from RIM was the device was faulty so I exchanged the Playbook for a new one and ended up with the same issue.

Anyone else run into this issue and have a fix? I have updated all software and am running Windows 7 64bit. This issue exists on my desktop and laptop so it isn't an issue with the PC or usb etc.

Im having the same problem on win7 64. I know its not the playbook because it connects fine to my gf's computer.

Have you tried hitting refresh on the my computer screen?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 08:40 PM
    So you are saying that your computer doesn't recognize PB at all when you plug it in? Did you test the USB ports with your other devices like a blackberry phone? Also are you using a micro USB cable that was provided and not some older one?

Did you try WiFi sharing?
    04-29-11 08:41 PM
    Im having the same problem on win7 64. I know its not the playbook because it connects fine to my gf's computer.

Have you tried hitting refresh on the my computer screen?

No problems with Win 7 64 here...
    04-29-11 08:41 PM
    I had this problem initially because the "Research In Motion Network Device" driver wasn't installed on my machine by the installer.

Go into device manager when the device is attached and see if there are any devices with no drivers (I think it showed up as RDNS something or another when it wasn't installed). I believe I snagged the driver from one of the Research in Motion folders in Program Files.
    04-29-11 08:57 PM
    So you are saying that your computer doesn't recognize PB at all when you plug it in? Did you test the USB ports with your other devices like a blackberry phone? Also are you using a micro USB cable that was provided and not some older one?

Did you try WiFi sharing?
    The computer says "installing drivers for device" "found new device" when you plug it in but that's it. It is nowhere to be found after that.

04-29-11 08:59 PM
    The computer says "installing drivers for device" "found new device" when you plug it in but that's it. It is nowhere to be found after that.

Go To Control Panel
    Click Administrator Tools
    Then Computer management

Or paste in explorer: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools

Then on the list Click Storage... Disk Management..

Your PB should be there... in whatever state... see what it says..
    04-29-11 09:05 PM
    Go To Control Panel
    Click Administrator Tools
    Then Computer management

Or paste in explorer: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools

Then on the list Click Storage... Disk Management..

Your PB should be there... in whatever state... see what it says..
    The playbook does not mount as a local disk it mounts as a network drive. Even it was working for him it would likely not show up there.
    04-29-11 09:10 PM
    USB drive works with every other device connected. When the Playbook is connected it shows up as a "Network adapter" in Device Manager. Support had me run and ipconfig and change the settings in Windows Firewall as well as some other solutions with no resolution. Using the Playbook USB that was included in the packaging and tried 2 different computers and two different Playbook devices with the same issue.
    04-29-11 09:19 PM
    USB drive works with every other device connected. When the Playbook is connected it shows up as a "Network adapter" in Device Manager. Support had me run and ipconfig and change the settings in Windows Firewall as well as some other solutions with no resolution. Using the Playbook USB that was included in the packaging and tried 2 different computers and two different Playbook devices with the same issue.
    Try a 3rd computer... are you using same windows installation ?
    04-29-11 09:22 PM
    Try a 3rd computer... are you using same windows installation ?
    Don't have a third computer...The laptop is running Windows 7 32bit and the desktop is running Windows 7 64bit (different manufacturers). I am about to pull out a super old XP desktop but it really defeats the purpose to use a super old computer just to get media on my Playbook, if it doesn't work on my day to day PC it isn't worth the struggle at this point.
    Last edited by sriggles; 04-29-11 at 09:31 PM.
    04-29-11 09:25 PM
    No problems with Win 7 64 here...
    I am seriously jealous, I want this device to work for me!
    04-29-11 09:34 PM
    I had the same problem. Found a solution myself while on the phone with RIM for over 2 hours trying (in vain) to get my bridge functioning.

Upgrade the Desktop manager software. But more importantly, turn off the wifi on your Playbook before connecting. Once I did that, the Desktop software saw my PB right away and it works fin.

Another way to get stuff onto your PB is to do it over wifi. Make sure you change the name of the workgroup on the PB to match that of your home network. You should be able to see it on your PC's file explorer. drag and drop files at that point.

Later,
    Brian
    04-29-11 11:56 PM
    try temporarily disabling your firewall then connect your PB
    04-30-11 11:15 AM
    The playbook is an awesome portable "world". Far more convenient and in some ways more powerful than lugging even a netbook around. The out of the box setup is easy, but the machine is empty. After copying all the laptop work related files over the USB connection ceased. Would not mount the playbook as a laptop volume, or, allow Desktop Manager to connect. A very bad move was to follow the suggestion to reinstall software, which I assumed meant the device driver, but in fact is the entire operating system and a complete playbook wipe. Bad idea. Once past that error, the easy solution to get the USB to work is to *turn off* the wifi connection. The USB immediately connects and mounts the volume.

To sync with laptop/desktop etc, I use unison
    Unison File Synchronizer
    which is available for windows, but I use under cygwin.

The essential app is the AIR file manager or equivalent. This leads to a setup that means that the laptop can be left in the hotel or behind entirely.

Incidentally for the (very nice) Magellan app the tether to rogers BB does not work with the default info. The apn needs to be internet.com un/pw both blank
    05-31-11 09:09 AM
    Sorry to revive super old thread. For the last couple of days, my Playbook of about 3 months would not show as connecting to my PC and charging. Verified two cables and two PC's with the Android. It would charge through the RIM Charger that came with it, just no USB to PC's.

Today I went to power it down for 10 seconds, and after several minutes, it was still shutting down. I held in the power button further until screen really, really turned off. Turned it back on, and USB to PC working again.

Good reminder to do the weekly backup in case of unexpected failure.
    03-27-12 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD