I have bad feeling that our playbook will not get any developer love until we get bb10.
    01-31-13 12:22 AM
    But developer may not back port their apps to playbook os.
    01-31-13 02:20 AM
    PB will get Blackberry 10 upgrade soon.
    So, it is all good and well!
    01-31-13 02:30 AM
    It's true for me. What's the point of developing for a platform that will vanish in a few months? Focus on BB10.

Well, that's not true. I ran in to a wall with their crumby simulator in November and have done nothing on any RIM platform since. I can't buy dev hardware and trying to get one at an event is too big a gamble for a small-time developer. Without actual hardware or a simulator that actually works I had no choice. That they completely ignored me and other users with the same question about the simulator just ticked me off. Thanks for screwing the little-guy RIM! If Android development wasn't a total nightmare, and the phones so unappealing, I'd have moved on.
    01-31-13 03:49 AM
    I think BlackBerry must bring his new OS BB10 to playbook, there is a lot of Playbook users and it's the only Tablets for her, if the hardware can run this OS so why dont update it ?

Blackberry will not lose her Playbook users, she must stay focusin on tablets, and dont forget that Playbook is a business device too.
    01-31-13 03:55 AM
    But developer may not back port their apps to playbook os.
    Maybe Z10 apps could simply run letterboxed just as old 4:3 TV shows on current 16:9 televisions in order to handle the difference in vertical resolution without porting efforts on the developer side.
    01-31-13 04:12 AM
    Here in the UK the playbook out sold the ipad during the Christmas period, this was probably down to the pricing structure, a lot of those sales are probably to none blackberry phone users (I'm one of them) that hotspot connect their PB, now that BB10 has been launched I would have thought Blackberry would make it a priority to get the OS on as many devices as they can and the PB is a perfect contender to do that without taking anything away from the phone launch's.

Hardwear is at the end of the day bits of metal/ silicon/ plastic the heart of any device is the software and what a user can do with it, I have always purchased my phones on what it can do for me rather than what it looks like, the quicker blackberry can get BB10 in the publics eye and talked about the more chance they have at selling new phones that operate on BB10, those PB users without Blackberry phones will be looking to upgrade their phones so pull your finger out BB and get the OS in everyones face and give those users a reason to buy into BB10.
    untakenusername likes this.
    01-31-13 05:03 AM
    Was with a senior RIM, er BlackBerry person yesterday who told me that BB10 update for PB will be in a "couple of months."
    Will get the new contextual typing on the Z10 and Skype as well.
    Also said they are working on Netflix.
    cdnynot likes this.
    01-31-13 07:20 AM
    Drop BB10 on PB now so we don't get bored waiting until April for the Q10!
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-31-13 07:36 AM
    it outsold the IPad mini, not the Ipad 10 inch
    01-31-13 07:39 AM
    Here in the UK the playbook out sold the ipad during the Christmas period, this was probably down to the pricing structure, a lot of those sales are probably to none blackberry phone users (I'm one of them) that hotspot connect their PB, now that BB10 has been launched I would have thought Blackberry would make it a priority to get the OS on as many devices as they can and the PB is a perfect contender to do that without taking anything away from the phone launch's.
    And I'm one of them too! I'd never even heard of the Playbook!! I'd been searching for a tablet with a good range of video codecs and the Samsung Galaxy range was the only one that came close - but too expensive for me. In the end I was given a Playbook 16Gb - I loved it so much I invested in the 64Gb. Why doesn't the Playbook even come up in tablet searches etc? For codec support, it beats all the others hands down and is almost quarter of the price of the iPad Mini 64Gb. I'm sure lots more people would have a Playbook if they only knew it even existed! Did RIM ever advertise it in the UK? The few I've spoken to have not heard of it either (people who don't have one of the current mainstream tablets purely because they can't afford the price).

I like the current OS and feel no urgency for an upgrade, but if BB10 means we get better support from app developers, I'm for it. I was pleased to read that Skype is one of the new apps being made available on BB10. I just hope BB10 is not too-little-too-late to bring Blackberry back to the forefront along with other big players.
    24cabbie likes this.
    01-31-13 07:39 AM
    Was with a senior RIM, er BlackBerry person yesterday who told me that BB10 update for PB will be in a "couple of months."
    And that's the BIG problem here, no clear information on what and on which date.

Of course dates can slip - but you build that into your release schedule.

I think not making BB10 available for the PB now is a huge missed marketing opportunity for BB, after all US users can't get a phone until march but they could have got used to the BB10 experience on their playbooks ( and showed it off to their friends / enemys ).

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of good will would have been lost yesterday.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-31-13 07:47 AM
    I have the 16GB version of the Playbook. I wonder how much space will be left after the BB10 update.
    01-31-13 09:15 AM
    And that's the BIG problem here, no clear information on what and on which date.
    RIM or Blackberry; this is just more of the same "coming soon", "trust us, the best is yet to come", "sometime in the future it will be better" nonsense that has been the hallmark of Blackberry for the past many years. Combine the fact that the PB wasn't mentioned by name during the press release only to receive passing mention by Thorsten in the Q/A session leaves the impression that the Playbook simply is irrelevant to Blackberry has they move forward.

I think not making BB10 available for the PB now is a huge missed marketing opportunity for BB, after all US users can't get a phone until march but they could have got used to the BB10 experience on their playbooks ( and showed it off to their friends / enemys ).

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of good will would have been lost yesterday.
    And on this point, I completely agree with you. Blackberry had an opportunity to reach out to those individuals who bought the PB - particularly those of us who bought it at full price - and say thank you for sticking with them and using a product that has been, arguably, an utter and abject failure. Too many promises from Blackberry on what the Playbook was supposed to be never materialized or arrived in such a bastardized manner, you couldn't help but laugh at just how inept the device has been handled.

Surprising everyone by saying that BB10 was going to be dropped to the Playbook today would have gone a long way in rebuilding the support that has been lost on account of the Playbook. It would have rejuvenated the Playbook community and would have also allowed for more word-of-mouth marketing by Playbook users showing off BB10 to others. If it wasn't ready to be launched today - which is obvious - then the next been thing would have been to actually give us a release date as to when it would be made available. Instead of saying, it's coming soon - a phrase that makes me cringe when Blackberry says that - tell us the exact date and then stick to it.

Prove to us that Blackberry is different than RIM.
    01-31-13 10:22 AM
    I hope Blackberry gets the whole circle of life thing in the ecosystem

BB10 OS Product ---> 2-3 Milliion users =====>>>>( Increase App developers -----> Increase apps ------> Increase users)
    BB10 OS Product ---> 0 user base =====>( low app developer base ---> low app deveopment ---> slow user base growth)
    cdnynot likes this.
    01-31-13 12:23 PM
    My PB earns my love daily.
    cdnynot likes this.
    01-31-13 12:46 PM
    it outsold the IPad mini, not the Ipad 10 inch
    you are right but either way 160k blackberry units compared to 116k apple units (same form factor) ain't too shabby especially when there has been next to no marketing of the playbook here in the UK, I have had loads and I mean loads of people impressed with my playbook and I would have to say that most of them didn't even know the playbook was available and those that did were only aware of the poor (justified) reviews from 2011, I think I have enticed at least 10+ users to buy the playbook, we have 4 in our household and I think the only real issue some of the family have is apps they have seen of other devices that are not available on the Playbook but other than that they are happy bunnies, would be VERY happy bunnies if they could Skype and get Netflix but then again I guess most Playbook owners would be :-)
    02-01-13 06:23 AM
    My PB earns my love daily.
    How long will that love last if there were no more new apps and no more updates on existing apps?
    02-03-13 08:31 PM
    That's perfectly in line with the leaked road map screenshot that's out there. It says between Q1 and Q2 2013. So, technically Q2 ends in June so they have that much time to honor that road map. The earlier the better to win suck up points.

Attachment 133830
    02-03-13 09:17 PM
    Don't you think BB Z10 is just like a mini PlayBook?
    you are correct
    BB2.2 is the first try-out for the BB10
    multiple apps open at the same time
    to bottom, just swipe
    it was suppose to bridge the time from the old BB 7.1 to a larger and touch screen experience, as the development of the real BB10 and Z & Q10 where so behind schedule
    02-03-13 10:45 PM
    That's perfectly in line with the leaked road map screenshot that's out there. It says between Q1 and Q2 2013. So, technically Q2 ends in June so they have that much time to honor that road map. The earlier the better to win suck up points.

Attachment 133830
    The road-map shows a new PB128 for October, but does not show any PB10 upgrade
    Ipad 128 will come out in April, so BB is again 6 months behind
    The PB128 will have the full fledged BB OS-10
    I assume for the old PB we will have a RT version of the BB OS 10
    02-03-13 10:52 PM
    The road-map shows a new PB128 for October, but does not show any PB10 upgrade
    Ipad 128 will come out in April, so BB is again 6 months behind
    The PB128 will have the full fledged BB OS-10
    I assume for the old PB we will have a RT version of the BB OS 10
    See those words right beside the stem in the BlackBerry OS logo? What do they say?
    02-03-13 10:56 PM
    How long will that love last if there were no more new apps and no more updates on existing apps?
    A long time probably, luckily we aren't in that predicament since we'll be getting BB10. I buy an occasional new game, but I mostly use the built-in apps and my favorite game came out when the PB was a month old and maybe got 1 update.. Music, Browser, email are better now than when I fell in love with it in the first place. It is my daily companion while there's a new gen iPad that's been sitting in my desk drawer for a month or more. I will be taking the iPad home this weekend... for my Mother-in-law to try...
    02-08-13 07:30 PM
    It really does feel like RIM/BlackBerry don't care much about Playbook users, especially those who bought devices at full price soon after launch. The Playbook was a testing ground for QNX for both users and developers... PB users were guinea pigs who helped make BB10 and the Z10 a reality but it seems like BlackBerry doesn't want to acknowledge that.

They could have given a tentative release schedule for BB10 on the Playbook at the recent media events. They could have said thanks to all the PB users who stuck with them for over two years. As it is, the Q10 will be late, BB10 for PB looks like it'll be late too, so it's Blackberry business as usual
    02-08-13 10:35 PM