View Poll Results: what version of the PB would you buy if they both cost the same after carrier rebate

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wifi only without contract

69 88.46%
  • 3/4g with contract and carrier discount to match wifi only price

9 11.54%
    I was thinking of waiting for the 3/4g version instead of buying a wifi only version right now but while replying to another thread, I thought of something.

I'm not sure if anyone considered that the 3/4g version may be more expensive than the wifi only version. So my question is as follows.

If the 3/4g version was the same price as a wifi only version AFTER carrier discount for locking into a contract, would you lock in and get the 3/4g with monthly rate plan or wifi only for the same price?
    05-31-11 10:02 AM
    i personally would stick with my wifi, and if was purchasing in a couple months when 3G/4G is available i would go with the wifi only as well. My reasons are simple: I find the tether option to my 3G phone to be fast and reliable 'enough', which allows me to save the extra data plan cost. I will occasionally lose my connection while tethered, but its not often enough to bother me, and I'm sure with updates it will become more stable as well. Plus when i upgrade to a 4G phone, i will then have 4G as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 10:10 AM
    I didn't want the hassle of juggling two connections (tracking bills, payment etc), but just thought that to use 3g I'm paying extra on my primary connection.
    So if I got the 3g PB I would only pay for 3g on that connection. The only hassle is there would be another bill to pay and track.
    05-31-11 10:11 AM
    I would go for the Wifi only. If bridge works correctly I don't see the need for the additional data plan.
    05-31-11 10:11 AM
    I would go for the Wifi only. If bridge works correctly I don't see the need for the additional data plan.
    +1 and almost everywhere you go today you can connect to wireless..
    05-31-11 10:13 AM
    Tablet data prices are such a rip off. There's no way I would lock into that right now.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 3G/4G version will be cheaper than the Wifi with carrier subsidies. Not the overall price obviously. Just look at any other tablet to get an idea.

Maybe I'm missing something, but tethering and Tablet plans seem identical also.

05-31-11 10:14 AM
    WIFI Only. What is the point of an extra contract when you can tether and bridge?
    05-31-11 10:20 AM
    Tablet data prices are such a rip off. There's no way I would lock into that right now.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 3G/4G version will be cheaper than the Wifi with carrier subsidies. Not the overall price obviously. Just look at any other tablet to get an idea.

Maybe I'm missing something, but tethering and Tablet plans seem identical also.

depends on the carrier i guess. Tethering is included in my data plan for my 9700.

05-31-11 10:26 AM
    depends on the carrier i guess. Tethering is included in my data plan for my 9700.

Ohh.. Yeah, I was referring to ATT and Verizon. They're pretty much the only choices in my area, so I don't even look at other carriers info. I didn't mean to miss speak, so thanks for catching that.

05-31-11 10:42 AM
    I have a cellular radio in my 9000, why would I need one in my PlayBook?
    05-31-11 10:46 AM
    Wifi - no additional data plan and monthly bills!!!
    05-31-11 11:02 AM
    With the overwhelming results so far, I'm begining to wonder how many PBs are going to be sold through the carriers....
    05-31-11 12:15 PM
    option 1 buddy
    05-31-11 12:26 PM
    I'm sure people that travel heavily and maybe even business users would be more prone to get a carrier version. I know, if money wasn't as much of a concern for me, I would obviously opt for the always connected carrier version.

05-31-11 12:27 PM
    My plan all the long was to buy the wifi upon first release, which I have, and then upgrade to the 4g/3g wifi when that became available, and give the wifi only to one of my partners. But I'm starting to reconsider. I have a mifi that works very well when I'm out of pocket, but I haven't used it that much because I haven't had to or wanted to. And I always figured that the carriers and RIM would be able to hash through this stuff to come up with rational pricing, but that hasn't been forthcoming either. All things being equal, I'd rather have everything all built in and not have to carry around the mifi, but it is kind of nice to also run my Torch wifi off the mifi, and other devices. If there were any features or a series of apps that would only work on the 3g/4g models, then I would definately go that route, so that's a potential factor. I think the carriers are too clever by half with their tiered pricing and various feints and innovations to pricing. Playbook and Blackberry users have certain requirements with respect to data, but there is only so much they will and can pay, and no amount of subterfuge or camaflouge is going to change that. At the end of the day, the people paying the bills, whether its a private use or company use, want to know how much am I paying and never mind the BS. I know we have begun re-evaluating all of our contracts to get through to their bottom lines. The "deals" that take the most effort and analyis to unpack, are usually the deals that are overpriced. I can't help thinking that some carriers are missing the boat. Here are a group of loyal high-data users -- surely a source of profit for a carrier. But instead of trying to sensibly compete for this good business, they spend all of their time and thought trying to trick out packages and tiers to squeeze customers until the business can not be sustained. I'm generalizing, of course, there are other people out there who want boundless bandwidth for a-buck-three-eighty as if its a birthright. But most people in business understand overhead and infrastucture costs and are willing to pay for their value.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    05-31-11 12:32 PM
    WiFi version already and not too worried about connecting.
    05-31-11 02:23 PM
    wifi with a tether plan on 9700 and 4g overdrive when i know i need a fair amount of data. Hopefully rim will eventually drop a 4g phone and then i would dump the overdrive.
    05-31-11 11:15 PM
    As I don't currently have a Blackberry device and I am pretty interested in a 3G/4G version if it would allow me to use BBM and other Blackberry exclusives

05-31-11 11:37 PM
    Wifi only for many of reasons already cited, especially since i'm a BlackBerry user. paying an additional data plan just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, a 3G/4G version will be important to capture all those non-BlackBerry users who want the Playbook.
    06-01-11 12:18 AM
    i don't know how to works in the US but here you can get a 3/4G capable device (say ipad2) and just use the data if/when you need to, and you don't pay the monthly fee if you don't use it, so you can just use the wi-fi.

if it costs the same that additional option is nice to have if you ever wanted it, for example letting a friend/family member borrow your playbook who doesn't have a smartphone to tether it with.
    06-01-11 12:22 AM
    I think the WiFi only version is the way to go, if you have a high speed take anywhere pocket wifi router. I discontinued my home internet service and save 40 a month and I cut my BB phone data plan to phone charges only saving another 50 a month from my unlimited phone bill. I picked up a high speed pocket wifi for 1 cent and 50 a month unlimited for up to 5 devices. I have clocked it at times as fast as 7000kbps and it doesn't slow down when connected to multiple devices. My BB 3g service was only 710kbps and my home connection was only 5000kbps. Now I use the pocket wifi for my BB bold with the wifi mode, my laptop and the playbook. The playbook loves the speed and I like the cheaper monthly bill. The speed I get downloading hd movies to my laptop is much faster than my original home connection. If playbook gets an app for a down loader like miro for playbook, my laptop will become a giant coaster.

The 3g or 4g models will help some people make the plunge as the carrier may give a discount or an accessory to help the sale, but I think the wifi only is the best way and I am truly happy for this choice.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 06-01-11 at 02:20 AM.
    06-01-11 02:16 AM
    i don't know how to works in the US but here you can get a 3/4G capable device (say ipad2) and just use the data if/when you need to, and you don't pay the monthly fee if you don't use it, so you can just use the wi-fi.

if it costs the same that additional option is nice to have if you ever wanted it, for example letting a friend/family member borrow your playbook who doesn't have a smartphone to tether it with.
    The iPad is like that in the US also, but there are a couple Android tablets that are subsidized through Verizon and require a plan themselves. I doubt the Playbook will get the month to month option, seems carriers have their way with RIM and I'm sure they prefer all or nothing to lock us down. Maybe I'm wrong.
    06-01-11 08:54 AM
    only about 12% so far interested in 4G. I was expecting way more. I wanted to get the 4G version just so I had the option if I ever wanted to use it but I know I'd mostly if not only be using the wifi portion only since it would be my vacation partner as a portal to the world.
    06-02-11 08:58 AM
    only about 12% so far interested in 4G. I was expecting way more. I wanted to get the 4G version just so I had the option if I ever wanted to use it but I know I'd mostly if not only be using the wifi portion only since it would be my vacation partner as a portal to the world.
    I think since most people on the forum already have 3G BB phones, a PlayBook with a cellular radio doesn't make much sense.

Since everyone has a phone anyway, and already have a data plan, to incur the cost of another data plan would be silly.

I cannot imagine any situation where a cellular radio in my PlayBook would be advantageous.

As far as the difference between 3G and 4G..... who knows? Theoretically there is a difference, but in practice I hardly find any difference between EDGE and 3G for basic browser functions.
    06-02-11 09:07 AM
    Currently I use the wifi, but one of the questions I asked the retailer was if I had to use bridge or tether my BB for data stream would it be slower than the upcoming internal 3g/4g radio? That would be the only question for me, obviously wifi is the fastest connection but if the internal hardware makes the device faster than bridge or tether I would consider that model.
    06-02-11 07:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD