ok my playbook it's update to the 1.0.6 and i have started to notice that when i use to reach 11% or 10% suddenly it shutdown. first time I use it i reach 2% before shutdown.

have anyone suffer similar problems? any way to fix it?

thank you in advance.
    06-25-11 08:57 AM
    Mine will shut down without warning between 10% - 18%. A couple of days ago it shut down at 18%, I powered it up and it shut down again but at 10%. After that it wouldn't power up (yellow light) so gave it a full charge. The next time it shut down at about 12%, after a few restarts got it down to 5%. The problem is I rarely get the battery low message, it just shuts down without warning. I'm not too concerned though as it will last between 8 to 11 hours with moderate use, I'm sure if the battery was duff it wouldn't last so long. I've noticed some people don't get 100% charge but can deplete the battery to 0% and a few have issues similar to ours.

I think it's more likely a software issue which will hopefully be fixed. I'm going to give support a call and check if they are aware or even acknowledge the problem.
    06-25-11 09:35 AM
    Seems that your battery life is nominal. I can run my PB for over an hour when at 0% but the charge lasts 8-12 hours depending on use.
    06-25-11 09:45 AM
    Numerous threads have mentioned this. The percent-remaining display is merely an estimate, calculated in software, and it does not necessarily match the actual capacity.

The software is supposed to gradually improve that estimate based on data collected while monitoring the power consumption, battery voltage, time, and other factors. Clearly the software is still a work in progress in that area.

RIM recommends doing a complete discharge and charge cycle several times to improve this estimate. When you do that, drain the battery until the tablet shuts itself off (this is safe: it monitors the battery voltage and does so before it gets to a level that would damage the battery, regardless of the actual % shown), then without delay recharge it fully until the lightning bolt icon changes to a plug.

If you unplug it while the lightning bolt is still showing, even if it reads 100%, that's too soon and you're interrupting the end of the charging sequence. That would potentially throw off the estimate.

In theory, doing this a few times should improve the estimate going forward. In practice, I'm not sure it does much yet, but I haven't seen enough reports based on 1.0.6 to know.

Also 8-11 hours is, as shootsscores said, about what you should expect, so unless you are getting much less than this you needn't worry about it and can hope for further improvements in the estimate with later updates.
    wellard likes this.
    06-25-11 12:23 PM
    had the same problem, mine would shut down at 15......but found a good trick to do the discharge portion that i dont think has been mentioned before:

- so ur pb dies above 0, let it die, dont turn it back on and let it die again after 2 minutes use
    - hook it up to to pc using the usb cable. this will give it a low amp power source. it will keep it on, but let the battery meter adjust itself to zero
    - turn it back on, make sure under general settings you have "showcase"
    - run the hd videi demo in a loops, go to some flash sight (ex pandora) and let it run, fire up the nfs, and record a video........all at the same time
    - this will quickly discharge the battery and run the pb to zero....if u notice it shutsdown before zero, turn it back on, and be less aggressive, maybe do the same thing sans NFS
    - take it off the usb charger, and plug it to ur wall charger and let it run

i did this a couple of times, and everything is back to normal
    Last edited by uci2ci; 06-25-11 at 03:22 PM.
    wellard likes this.
    06-25-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD