just curious what the thoughts are for the concept of the pin for pb. Is it for when native apps roll out? Is there anything that can be done with it now? sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

thanks
    05-16-11 05:36 PM
    Hypothetically means it can utilize native apps like BBM/pin messaging without a bridge, utilize pin-based app registration.

If it didn't have a pin then pin-dependent apps would always require a bridge.
    05-16-11 05:39 PM
    im sure 3g/4g PBs will have a PIN
    05-16-11 05:43 PM
    im sure 3g/4g PBs will have a PIN
    they all have a PIN already
    05-16-11 05:46 PM
    For now, the PIN allows other devices, like the BB phone, to securely identify the specific PB that it is Bridged/Tethered to.
    It also gives information to DM and AppWorld
    05-16-11 05:46 PM
    they all have a PIN already
    I should have clarified.
    I mean like a working PIN, for core apps.
    05-16-11 05:51 PM
    If it's on 4G/HSPA+ models then it probably able to use BIS like old Nokia or Sony Ericsson devices that able to connect via BlackBerry Connect.
    But having PIN also on WiFi model confuses me alot.
    I mean, we all know that PIN also used for suspending devices that is reported stolen and such, but perhaps that is also the use in PB? For example, if ur PB got stolen or something, u reported it to RIM rep in ur country and the PIN will be blocked for accessing the AppWorld or BB Bridge usage.
    Because for buying apps, we use the BB ID now, so I guess the use of PIN is not necessary.

CMIIW
    05-16-11 06:37 PM
    PINs are unique to the device. Historically all RIM devices has utilized the PIN to converse with the RIM NOC. Very much like your mailing address, its unique to you and the postman knows where to deliver your mail.
    05-16-11 06:38 PM
    if i read correctly, rim is moving away from pins in favour of bbid.
    05-16-11 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD