The only problem the iPad3 could have caused the Playbook would have been a big price drop for the iPad2. As it stands it appears the iPad2 is EOL and any price drop it sees will just be to sell out of current stock. Playbook is safe.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-07-12 01:15 PM
    Randy Ubillos, Chief Architect for Photo and Video apps the introduced the brand new iPhoto for iPad. iPhoto include new gestures, new effects, multi-touch editing and the ability to beam photos directly between devices. Lots of photographic tools are coming in the new iPhoto app
    This is the type of new stuff I was talking about. Not really terribly impressed by it - but new stuff nonetheless.
    03-07-12 01:18 PM
    I'm feeling like Apple's "innovation" (if it can even be called that) has finally stalled and RIM HAS TO take advantage of this.... this is a chance i'm pretty sure that they werent expecting.... they must execute properly BB10 and on time this year or the PB will not grow..
    Oh come on. Are you even watching the event as we speak? Apple is up to its usual hype, marketing a photo App as if it's the second coming. And stuff like that works, gets people to think ,"Wow, think of all the cool things I could do to my pictures with that app". Of course, though, they will never do anything to the pictures, but it will sell iPads. It's all about the "fantasy" of what you could do with the device.

This is where RIM fails: they offer no such "fantasy". They try to market the hardware way too much, no one cares too much about that anymore, it's all about the software, why else would something nearly useless as Siri sell so many iPhones? In that respect, Apple is alive and well, and RIM needs to learn from them.
    DearGod, Zagabog and Dookieman like this.
    03-07-12 01:18 PM
    Oppss.... I retract my last statement about the iPad2 being EOL. Turns out it will continue after all but the Playbook is still safe. The iPad2 will be available in 16GB only and will sale for $399.
    03-07-12 01:22 PM
    people with idevices must have a really good data plan to be able to stream all the 'retina' content or use the icloud.

Everytime i watch the icloud commercial i am horrified at how they use data. correct me if I am wrong, but if I dl an app on a phone...does it also automatically dl it on my computer and tablet as well? or if i take a picture from one of the devices, does it automatically upload/download to all my other devices?? that's one crazy data plan. Not to mention a complete waste of hd space which can't be upgraded.
    Those are the kind that ruined the unlimited data plans. The caps and throttling of data and speed, wasting data for all kinds of useless applications. Now everybody is paying the price for it.
    03-07-12 01:22 PM
    Better graphics and higher processing power are great, but in this case they seem to come with a price: heavier, and thicker. Considering that at least some users have reported a preference for the actual physical device of the Playbook due to it's light weight and grippy surface, there's some chance these considerations may move a few sales.

The biggest questions I'd have would revolve around heat and battery life.

Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.
    It's less than one mm thicker.
    Less... Than... One.. Mm...
    I think you can count the number of sales that 0.5 or 0.6 mm has moved on one hand. Battery life is the same as on the old iPad for 3G and wifi. For 4G Internet it's 9 hours.

As for BB Remote, iPads have had the equivalent since IOS5, so that's nothing new.

Print to go? If you feel that's an innovation, it's really stretching the definition of "innovation" pretty thin, no?

Real innovation, a transformative product only comes around every 4-5 years. Though I gotta say, that it really gotta suck to be so jaded, as to dismiss a healthy doubling of CPU power AS WELL as doubling the screen resolution as: "Meh, just better specs, nothing to see here..."

It's been many YEARS since screen resolution on PCs doubled. And it's unheard of to have happened overnight lik this.

Then again, I have a feeling that the new iPad could have included an actual time machine, and people would complain about how it only travels back to the 1950ies, and if RIM included a time machine in the Playbook, you'd be able to travel back to the middle ages for sure!
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-07-12 01:24 PM
    You do do realize his avatar isn't a self portrait, right?
    You do do realize this is the PB forum and not the News & Rumors board where all you guys gorge in flame wars and useless debate, right?
    03-07-12 01:27 PM
    You do do realize this is the PB forum and not the News & Rumors board where all you guys gorge in flame wars and useless debate, right?
    No, I "didn't didn't." But you're right; this is at best a "flame battle."
    03-07-12 01:31 PM
    Print to go? If you feel that's an innovation, it's really stretching the definition of "innovation" pretty thin, no?
    I use this program at least once a day. Being able to both convert to pdf and send word documents to my playbook simply and quickly is innovation whethet you choose to accept it or not.

Real innovation, a transformative product only comes around every 4-5 years. Though I gotta say, that it really gotta suck to be so jaded, as to dismiss a healthy doubling of CPU power AS WELL as doubling the screen resolution as: "Meh, just better specs, nothing to see here..."
    And honestly- what on earth are you running on your ipad that the ipad2 hardware couldnt handle. Honestly. "WOW! With all that additional computing capacity I can... I can... I can do everything I was doing with my old ipad2" *yawn*

It's been many YEARS since screen resolution on PCs doubled. And it's unheard of to have happened overnight lik this.
    So now instead of a crisp picture for watching your netflix... you get a crisper picture to watch Netflix. Seriosuly? Do you have your little 10 inch ipad mounted on the wall for watching movies or something?

Then again, I have a feeling that the new iPad could have included an actual time machine, and people would complain about how it only travels back to the 1950ies, and if RIM included a time machine in the Playbook, you'd be able to travel back to the middle ages for sure!
    And finally... confirming your troll posting. GTFO. The name of the site is Crackberry.com - not independent.objective.technology.site.com
    03-07-12 01:31 PM
    The new iPad is a very solid upgrade. However, I don't think its fair to compare the brand new iPad to the current Playbook which was launched nearly a year ago. We'll have to wait and see if RIM releases an updated PB--THEN we can compare the two.
    03-07-12 01:35 PM
    I use this program at least once a day. Being able to both convert to pdf and send word documents to my playbook simply and quickly is innovation whethet you choose to accept it or not.

And honestly- what on earth are you running on your ipad that the ipad2 hardware couldnt handle. Honestly. "WOW! With all that additional computing capacity I can... I can... I can do everything I was doing with my old ipad2" *yawn*

So now instead of a crisp picture for watching your netflix... you get a crisper picture to watch Netflix. Seriosuly? Do you have your little 10 inch ipad mounted on the wall for watching movies or something?

And finally... confirming your troll posting. GTFO. The name of the site is Crackberry.com - not independent.objective.technology.site.com
    CrackedBarry is a known "nay-sayer". I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, don't feed the trolls...

Btw, how's Noodle?
    03-07-12 01:35 PM
    How much RAM do we think this new hardware provides?
    03-07-12 01:37 PM
    CrackedBarry is a known "nay-sayer". I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, don't feed the trolls...

Btw, how's Noodle?
    Not bad - had to re-boot her yesterday though. Some malware from the Android OS snuck in.
    03-07-12 01:39 PM
    And honestly- what on earth are you running on your ipad that the ipad2 hardware couldnt handle. Honestly. "WOW! With all that additional computing capacity I can... I can... I can do everything I was doing with my old ipad2" *yawn
    The same argument could have been made about the 99xx, and it would've sounded equally as ridiculous then. Of course, if they'd announced a slew of "new iPad only" features, commenters would complain that users were somehow being "forced" to upgrade.
    03-07-12 01:43 PM
    There are so many trolls around lately, it's like a game of whack-a-mole (troll).
    diegonei, joelled and jafobabe like this.
    well, i followed the live stream for as long as i cared to, and was completely underwhelmed during the entire thing. judging from comments from other ppl watching, the whole thing was wasted electricity.
    Meh.....not really impressed with the iPad 3. What I will find impressive, though, will be next Friday, or maybe next Thursday, or perhaps it's starting right now, when all the unwashed masses will exit every coffee shop with wi-fi in America, setting up camp outside of every Apple store to be the first to spend their disability/unemployment check on this new fangled device from Apple.

I do believe our former resident cinematographer, Blackjack, will be producing a full length documentary of this yearly migration of Apple fans "occupying" precious real estate in order to get their greezy paws on one on day one....an he'll be using his PlayBook to film this auguste event.

Yessiree Bobby, it will soon be a great day in America where yours truly can now enjoy a cup of joe at a local coffee shop, along with the requisite bagel, cream cheese and chive, and fresh Nova Scotia Lox sandwich, without having to be offended by iPad toting lemmings with smelly bad feet, dirty fingernails, and fingers stained from years of toking one more over the line in the name of sweet Jesus.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 03-07-12 at 01:46 PM.
    people with idevices must have a really good data plan to be able to stream all the 'retina' content or use the icloud.
    Increased display resolution doesn't increase the amount of data streamed. Any image or video you stream will still send the same amount of data regardless of display resolution. It'll just look better on a higher resolution or higher pixel density display.
    03-07-12 01:45 PM
    Not bad - had to re-boot her yesterday though. Some malware from the Android OS snuck in.
    You can't just let her eat whatever she finds bro...
    03-07-12 01:47 PM
    Meh.....not really impressed with the iPad 3. What I will find impressive, though, will be next Friday, or maybe next Thursday, or perhaps it's starting right now, when all the unwashed masses will exit every coffee shop with wi-fi in America, setting up camp outside of every Apple store to be the first to spend their disability/unemployment check on this new fangled device from Apple.

I do believe our former resident cinematographer, Blackjack, will be producing a full length documentary of this yearly migration of Apple fans "occupying" precious real estate in order to get their greezy paws on one on day one....an he'll be using his PlayBook to film this auguste event.

Yessiree Bobby, it will soon be a great day in America where yours truly can now enjoy a cup of joe at a local coffee shop, along with the requisite bagel, cream cheese and chive, and fresh Nova Scotia Lox sandwich, without having to be offended by iPad toting lemmings with smelly bad feet, dirty fingernails, and fingers stained from years of toking one more over the line in the name of sweet Jesus.
    You are a condescending SOB aren't you?
    kennyliu and nasa25 like this.
    03-07-12 01:48 PM

1.) I honestly thought they would be incorporating alot of what we are seeing on other tablets - more social networking integration, universal remote's, a new peripheral or 2, new form factor (whether be shape or size), etc. Instead they say "here's a faster processor crammed into the same form factor - better display -no stfu and give me $500"

2.)They updated their list of spec's after I posted. What I posted was a direct copy+paste from imore. Incorrect info? Blame the iphone fan site.

3.) And the LTE attribute is fairly insignificant for alot of locations since LTE isnt even available yet. I know its not available in my area. Still on 3G.

I see in 2-D

/shameless gorillaz plug

1.) It would not benefit Apple to change what has come to be recognized by 50mm consumers. There's no need to change right now.

I do agree that they will need to make some sort of shift at some point if only to keep up with the next gen tab purchasers but, as the iPad is only 3yrs old, that can wait for a while. They own the space.

2.) Why would a guy like you be on an Apple fan site?

3.) So then you'd feel the same way about any PB 4G iteration as well?

Let go of the hate bro. You'll live longer.
    well, i followed the live stream for as long as i cared to, and was completely underwhelmed during the entire thing. judging from comments from other ppl watching, the whole thing was wasted electricity.
    There wasn't anyone watching a live stream, because there was no live stream.

No Live Stream of iPad Event Tomorrow � Rampant Speculation

Oops. Next time you should Google/Bing those stories first.
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    I think the new iPad may get some of the first gen iPad owners to upgrade more so than current iPad 2 owners. Aside from the new "Retina" screen of course, it does seem a little underwhelming and an incremental upgrade...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-07-12 01:51 PM
    There wasn't anyone watching a live stream, because there was no live stream.

No Live Stream of iPad Event Tomorrow � Rampant Speculation

Oops. Next time you should Google/Bing those stories first.
    I'm sure he was referring to a live blog stream from the event which both Engadget and TheVerge both hosted. I watched the Engadget one.
    03-07-12 01:51 PM
    These two tablets are in different markets due to their size and prices. You can't compare a small car to a large car. If the iPad Mini comes out at the same price range however, game over for the PB.
    why?

10char
    03-07-12 01:52 PM
256 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD