Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 257
Like Tree183Likes
  1. bb.pl's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Global Posts
    568 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default PB OS 2.0 vs the New Ipad

    Playbook just got a new lifeline thrown at it.
    The 'new' Ipad is really the same hold ipad1/2/2.1 or whatever.
    RIM can now do some cool stuff with the playbook on the software end to their advantage.
  2. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Nope. Sorry.
    yanicmb likes this.
  3. mjs416's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,131 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teknishun View Post
    Nope. Sorry.
    Wow. How insightful.

    Anyways - after looking at the imore site, the new additions to the ipad are...

    - Retina display at 2024×1536.
    - A5X chipset with quad-core graphics.
    - 5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)

    I honestly expected there to be all kinds of new crazy stuff but alas - it looks like all it will be is some faster and better hardware and better display.

    Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.

    Edit: I see they are updating the site so it looks like more spec's are forthcoming.
    Last edited by mjs416; 03-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    "Oh and you don't know - you don't know my mind.
    When you see me laughing - laughing just to keep from crying
    "
    - Hugh Laurie from his album "Let Them Talk" doing Leadbelly
    ----------------------------------------------
    Slappin' trolls since May 2011
    diegonei and RicThot like this.
  4. ody360's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs416 View Post
    Wow. How insightful.

    Anyways - after looking at the imore site, the new additions to the ipad are...

    - Retina display at 2024×1536.
    - A5X chipset with quad-core graphics.
    - 5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)

    I honestly expected there to be all kinds of new crazy stuff but alas - it looks like all it will be is some faster and better hardware and better display.

    Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.
    The only problem will be any drop in ipad2 price. If it falls to the 250-200 range, then pb may be in trouble. RIM will need to drop prices again, come out with some new hardware but at the same price, or surprise everyone with some type of appworld or os innovation.
  5. Omegamania's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    PIN
    LOL. People still use that?
    #5  

    Default

    Let's see..a 'Leapster' vs an HD quad-core screaming demon. I'll take the demon thanks.
  6. bb.pl's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Global Posts
    568 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by ody360 View Post
    The only problem will be any drop in ipad2 price. If it falls to the 250-200 range, then pb may be in trouble. RIM will need to drop prices again, come out with some new hardware but at the same price, or surprise everyone with some type of appworld or os innovation.
    Not if they can increase apps, attract developers and competitvely price them...
    Not a huge playbook fan, but with what I can see from 'the new ipad', frankily speaking after so much waiting Apple seemed to have disappointed.

    OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....
    Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    owlsowls likes this.
  7. mjs416's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,131 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamania View Post
    Let's see..a 'Leapster' vs an HD quad-core screaming demon. I'll take the demon thanks.
    LOL! Spoken like a person who is truly has no grasp on computing hardware. Because clearly Angry Birds requires a multi-core processor performing a billion tasks per second.
    "Oh and you don't know - you don't know my mind.
    When you see me laughing - laughing just to keep from crying
    "
    - Hugh Laurie from his album "Let Them Talk" doing Leadbelly
    ----------------------------------------------
    Slappin' trolls since May 2011
  8. dejanh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,280 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamania View Post
    Let's see..a 'Leapster' vs an HD quad-core screaming demon. I'll take the demon thanks.
    Funny guy eh?
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs416 View Post

    Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.
    The only folks who said that the iPad would be the downfall of the PB were folks right in this forum.

    I think Apple is more concerned with selling products than executing RIM. Some folks here need to get over this thought.
    Last edited by ADozenEggs@aol.com; 03-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs416 View Post
    Wow. How insightful.

    Anyways - after looking at the imore site, the new additions to the ipad are...

    - Retina display at 2024×1536.
    - A5X chipset with quad-core graphics.
    - 5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)

    I honestly expected there to be all kinds of new crazy stuff but alas - it looks like all it will be is some faster and better hardware and better display.
    I'm curious, but can you articulate what other new features you were expecting? I'm interested.

    I did notice you omitted the LTE capability, and under-spec'd the resolution a bit, but I guess it's not all that significant to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs416 View Post
    Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.
    Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
  11. mrrubus's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    The new IPAD can now record video in 1080p LOL

    Yes this is a life line for the PB, but more like a pause. To each his own
    Jeovex likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb.pl View Post
    Not if they can increase apps, attract developers and competitvely price them...
    This has been the story since App World launched. It never seems to happen, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by bb.pl View Post
    Not a huge playbook fan, but with what I can see from 'the new ipad', frankily speaking after so much waiting Apple seemed to have disappointed.
    "so much waiting"? You mean the one year since the last one? Unreal.

    Quote Originally Posted by bb.pl View Post
    OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    I didn't realize a software update could add 4G LTE and 2.5 million more pixels to your PlayBook. That must have been some upgrade.
    brucep1, mca312 and kennyliu like this.
  13. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    5,282 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #13  

    Default

    Better graphics and higher processing power are great, but in this case they seem to come with a price: heavier, and thicker. Considering that at least some users have reported a preference for the actual physical device of the Playbook due to it's light weight and grippy surface, there's some chance these considerations may move a few sales.

    The biggest questions I'd have would revolve around heat and battery life.

    Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.
    Thanked by 3:
    evozero (03-08-2012),  marksthespot60 (03-07-2012),  recompile (03-07-2012) 
  14. yauchunh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    183 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    people with idevices must have a really good data plan to be able to stream all the 'retina' content or use the icloud.

    Everytime i watch the icloud commercial i am horrified at how they use data. correct me if I am wrong, but if I dl an app on a phone...does it also automatically dl it on my computer and tablet as well? or if i take a picture from one of the devices, does it automatically upload/download to all my other devices?? that's one crazy data plan. Not to mention a complete waste of hd space which can't be upgraded.
    recompile likes this.
  15. jafobabe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    22,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    <snip> Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
    I hope that was an attempt at humor and not harassment for their avatar. I will take it as a type of humor, if it will not be addressed again.

    Cheers
    (BBM # 5)
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread
    Thanked by 3:
    alnamvet68 (03-07-2012),  bluezone1 (03-07-2012) 
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post

    Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
    I just spit out my water...
  17. yauchunh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    183 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Better graphics and higher processing power are great, but in this case they seem to come with a price: heavier, and thicker. Considering that at least some users have reported a preference for the actual physical device of the Playbook due to it's light weight and grippy surface, there's some chance these considerations may move a few sales.

    The biggest questions I'd have would revolve around heat and battery life.

    Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.

    Innovation at Apple died with Jobs. They haven't released anything innovative for a while now. Iphone4s and now this ipad2s lol.
    Willard814 likes this.
  18. dejanh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,280 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    This has been the story since App World launched. It never seems to happen, though.



    "so much waiting"? You mean the one year since the last one? Unreal.



    I didn't realize a software update could add 4G LTE and 2.5 million more pixels to your PlayBook. That must have been some upgrade.
    I really don't know how I managed to survive without iPad HD. I think it will go great with my HD sunglasses.

    Resolution on the PlayBook is plenty, TYVM. Also, your "resolution" on the iPad does nothing but increase the sharpness of the material on screen. It does not actually give you more functional real-estate. Apple is not after more working surface
  19. undone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.
    The stock seems to be reflecting that as well.
  20. mjs416's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,131 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    I'm curious, but can you articulate what other new features you were expecting? I'm interested.
    I honestly thought they would be incorporating alot of what we are seeing on other tablets - more social networking integration, universal remote's, a new peripheral or 2, new form factor (whether be shape or size), etc. Instead they say "here's a faster processor crammed into the same form factor - better display -no stfu and give me $500"

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    I did notice you omitted the LTE capability, and under-spec'd the resolution a bit, but I guess it's not all that significant to you.
    They updated their list of spec's after I posted. What I posted was a direct copy+paste from imore. Incorrect info? Blame the iphone fan site.

    And the LTE attribute is fairly insignificant for alot of locations since LTE isnt even available yet. I know its not available in my area. Still on 3G.

    Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
    I see in 2-D

    /shameless gorillaz plug
    "Oh and you don't know - you don't know my mind.
    When you see me laughing - laughing just to keep from crying
    "
    - Hugh Laurie from his album "Let Them Talk" doing Leadbelly
    ----------------------------------------------
    Slappin' trolls since May 2011
  21. Jeovex's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    371 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I'm feeling like Apple's "innovation" (if it can even be called that) has finally stalled and RIM HAS TO take advantage of this.... this is a chance i'm pretty sure that they werent expecting.... they must execute properly BB10 and on time this year or the PB will not grow..
    BlackBerry Bridge 2.0 shortcuts
    Nokia > Samsung jackII > Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro > Motorola Razr 2 > Torch 9810
    Playbook 16GB > Playbook 32GB > PlayBook 64GB
    dkjohn. likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jafobabe View Post
    I hope that was an attempt at humor and not harassment for their avatar. I will take it as a type of humor, if it will not be addressed again.

    Cheers
    You do do realize his avatar isn't a self portrait, right?
    kennyliu likes this.
  23. phoanyone's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    79 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    These two tablets are in different markets due to their size and prices. You can't compare a small car to a large car. If the iPad Mini comes out at the same price range however, game over for the PB.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
  24. ody360's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb.pl View Post
    Not if they can increase apps, attract developers and competitvely price them...
    Not a huge playbook fan, but with what I can see from 'the new ipad', frankily speaking after so much waiting Apple seemed to have disappointed.

    OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....
    Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    I agree with the need to increase apps and attract developers, but it needs to be a major increase of quality apps and developers. The masses are attuned to Apple mania and will run to the hype of anything Apple. OS 2.0 brought some light to the playbook, but nay sayers will be quick to point out that a lot of the 2.0 updates were expected at launch; in essence the Playbook just arrived to the playing field, while others are completing laps.

    The pb needs to come out with something that will attract the average Joe away from a discounted ipad2 or some other popular tablet.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    I really don't know how I managed to survive without iPad HD. I think it will go great with my HD sunglasses.
    I'd get that checked out then. By the way, it isn't called "iPad HD." You must be following rumor sites.

    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Resolution on the PlayBook is plenty, TYVM.
    I never claimed the PlayBook resolution was insufficient, just that one device now has 600K pixels while the other has 3.1 million, the kind of change that isn't possible via software upgrade.

    I'm sure the res is fine, kind of like how Android users claim their battery life is just fine and iOS users claim they're fine without Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Also, your "resolution" on the iPad does nothing but increase the sharpness of the material on screen.
    Good point, since we know that there isn't anyone who wants increased screen sharpness.
    Thanked by:
    Tailrotor (03-07-2012) 
    kennyliu, Dookieman and dkjohn. like this.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions