Hi folks. I was playing with a colleagues new Galaxy Tab earlier, and was quite surprised to see the amount of running apps he had, without any apparent memory issues, or apps not launching due to low memory.

This evening on my PB, I had the music player running, a web browser with 3 tabs open, a paused video, and my BB messages window open. I tried to open another app, but it closed almost immediately. To my mind, that isn't an excessive number of running apps, especially for a professional grade tab with 1gb of memory.

Is this normal, and is memory management something people would expect to improve with future releases ?

Thanks
    07-05-11 03:11 PM
    Hi folks. I was playing with a colleagues new Galaxy Tab earlier, and was quite surprised to see the amount of running apps he had, without any apparent memory issues, or apps not launching due to low memory.

This evening on my PB, I had the music player running, a web browser with 3 tabs open, a paused video, and my BB messages window open. I tried to open another app, but it closed almost immediately. To my mind, that isn't an excessive number of running apps, especially for a professional grade tab with 1gb of memory.

Is this normal, and is memory management something people would expect to improve with future releases ?

Thanks
    It is normal, and hopefully, RIM will improve it.
    nikgilbe likes this.
    07-05-11 04:06 PM
    ......and exactly how many apps were open on the Galaxy Tab, I have an associate that also has a GTab and I couldn't wait to get back to my PlayBook. Maybe a bit of exaggeration
    07-05-11 05:57 PM
    Are your settings set to showcase? If you set to pause while in background I am sure it may affect that result but I haven't tested.

I tested it buy opening apps til it instantly quit them out. Then changed to paused and default mode and tried again and no difference. This is just one test and is not definitive, but it seems like it doesn't affect it.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 07-05-11 at 06:03 PM.
    07-05-11 05:59 PM
    Right now I have two tabs open in the browser, the facebook app running, the blaq twitter app running, my bridged email open, and my music player churning out velvet underground. But I am now down to about 80 MBs free. I do think they will optimize it with future upgrades but I can't complain too much given the current performance.
    07-05-11 06:25 PM
    RIM really needs to cut the OS RAM overhead by 70-80% in my opinion. Right now the device uses up a good chunk of the built in memory just to turn on, which defeats the benefit.
    07-05-11 07:48 PM
    I counted about 12 apps running on the tab, along with lots of widgets.
    My PB is set to default mode, but I haven't noticed much difference either way.

Assuming the promised upgrades happen, and some key apps eventually surface, I definitely prefer the PB, but i was rather jealous of the quantity of apps he had available. fingers crossed....
    07-05-11 11:44 PM
    Some of the heavier apps cause the PlayBook to use (and not release) lots of memory so if you run those AFTER you do your demo, you should be okay.

And I agree it needs to use less memory.
    07-06-11 04:56 PM
    I counted about 12 apps running on the tab, along with lots of widgets.
    My PB is set to default mode, but I haven't noticed much difference either way.

Assuming the promised upgrades happen, and some key apps eventually surface, I definitely prefer the PB, but i was rather jealous of the quantity of apps he had available. fingers crossed....
    Flash websites will eat a lot more memory than little dinky apps. 3 tabs in the web browser is going be using a lot more memory than a handful of apps.
    07-07-11 01:00 AM
    Ever leave firefox running with a bunch of tabs open? That one app can suck down over a gb of ram...

Number of processes doesn't tell you much unless they are the same apps...
    07-07-11 04:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD