hey everyone, I got my PB 64gb from best buy yesterday, and as soon as I started using it (after the os update) I noticed it's getting heated up on the back, this doesn't occur during charging (haven't used it while charging) but only when I'm using the device, over wifi or tethered, in my hands or laid down on a table, anybody else having this problem? also i noticed the battery life will last approx. for 5 hours or so...
    04-20-11 03:12 PM
    i too have the problem....it isn't a big issue for me....but still...it works like a celphone...if u r on cellphoen for a long period of time, the battery heats up....

it is also the material used on pb...i think it should be fine...
    04-20-11 03:37 PM
    I just browsed around for 30 mins tethering with my torch, not warm in the slightest, how are you holding it lol, hands on the back? or couple fingers on each side.
    04-20-11 03:39 PM
    posting this from my playbook... Yup the back gets warm but only to a point although its no worse than my ipod touch after using it a while.
    04-20-11 03:45 PM
    it basically happens after 2-3 minutes of browsing via wifi or tethering, it's not hot as **** but it's just weird and happens quickly without even opening more than one or two apps..
    04-20-11 04:59 PM
    Search for ifixit's tear down. ALL the chips and stuff is in the center of the playbook, on the back. The battery splits on the sides. It will heat up, nothing they can do.
    04-20-11 05:04 PM
    it heats up right below the blackberry sign on the back and fades to the sides, i'd take it back to best buy and get it exchanged but they're out :P
    04-20-11 05:10 PM
    Search for ifixit's tear down. ALL the chips and stuff is in the center of the playbook, on the back. The battery splits on the sides. It will heat up, nothing they can do.
    ^^^This man has the answer you are looking for. The PlayBooks main chip sits in that area. If you have tons of apps running in the back and doing something which is using up a lot of processing power. That might be why it's heating up. I still have not received mine so I can't give advice on what to do. Try to close any running apps in the background and try doing what you were doing. See if it's still heating up!
    04-20-11 05:57 PM
    got my second playbook, also 64gb, guess what? this thing also heats up, not as bad as the first, but it does gets hotter within 10 mins of using wifi and screen brightness set to 20%. battery life? 6 hours of moderate usage. i don't know how some people are getting 10 of "heavy usage". if the next update won't solve the battery issues then i'm returning it and moving on to something else.
    04-24-11 02:12 PM
    Mine gets so hot i started wearing oven mitts.
    04-24-11 02:16 PM
    Mine produces a little warmth around the BB logo but no different than any other electronic device with a battery
    04-24-11 02:26 PM
    you actually read my mind, im playing some games and its getting warm but ive been around tech stuff all my life and this is almost the norm with electronics with continuous usage. i just hope this isnt like the xbox internal heating systems
    04-24-11 02:45 PM
    well at least it doesn't have the xbox's lovely fan harmony.
    04-24-11 03:58 PM
    Mine produces a little warmth around the BB logo but no different than any other electronic device with a battery
    ditto but i have a leather case so i barely notice it
    04-24-11 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD