View Poll Results: The reason for buying your playbook.

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bought it for mainly a business tool

15 23.81%
  • Bought it for mainly all around use

44 69.84%
  • Get is as a gift but would never bought it

1 1.59%
  • 5 Very satisfied with the available software

4 6.35%
  • 4 Satisfied with the available software

9 14.29%
  • 3 Can manage with the available software

17 26.98%
  • 2 Not satisfied with the available software

9 14.29%
  • 1 Software? When and where?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I was always a Blackberry fan and was exited than RIM developed a tablet with "Business people in mind".

For me, RIM did a good job doing so. Nertheless i'm still a bit disappointed that RIM did not make sure that apps like BlackBerry Travel weren't available from day one on the PB.

The portability and powerful processor can make the PB an excellent business tool.

Well, i have the hardware but fall short on the software. Other platforms are well ahead with "better" business software.

At the end of the day i end up using 2 tablets for business. The PB that suppose to be a business tablet but with limited business software and my ipad2 that have often the software that i actually want on my PB.

So, the reason for me having a playbook (besides i'm a RIM fan) is mainly business but do not satisfiy my business needs. On a scale from 1 to 5, the PB gets a 3 as business tablet.
    12-11-11 07:40 AM
    .....all I know it works for MY needs and wants, just needs A2DP and auto correct.
    12-11-11 09:21 AM
    More then meets my expectations, and thank His Eminence I didn't buy everybody in the house an iPhone; my wife's BB phone makes that Bridge app the cherry on top.
    12-11-11 09:24 AM
    I have my PB with me all the time. I have kept one iPad for kindle reading and when I want a bigger screen.
    12-11-11 09:24 AM
    This is a common thread and or complaint here. I suppose Rim should have said it was a tablet for big business rather than business in general. For a larger corporation with the staff and infrastructure to use the tools Rim have provided it can be a quite powerful and secure tablet.

If the Playbook currently does not do what you need it to do and you don't have the resources or skills to make the apps to make it do what you need it to do, the PlayBook is probably not the best choice for you.
    12-11-11 09:34 AM
    I bought my PB for general purposes. It has made me some money and has surpassed my expectations in the main. Full web access, portability and the bridging feature were what drew me to the device initially. Happy camper here.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-11-11 09:35 AM
    i bought it just to mess around with, as I dont think tablets are really that practical (particularly this one for 'business use') yet, in time though, in time. it would've been nice if RIM did some more homework either before releasing the playbook or after releasing, update their OS rather than worrying about Android apps - but first making their own OS full of features that people want, then after that, adding the extras.
    12-11-11 10:34 AM
    BB travel? Doesn't that need a radio? You want it bridged to the PB? Maybe it is also redundant? But yeah if you don't have a bb but then wouldn't it need a radio or does it work over wifi? Where do you get wifi on the road? Wifi hotspot?

Sorry just curious and no business here. Just an avg Joe who wanted something smaller to lug around than a lappy. Looked and tied the others but just loved the PB, esp. the UI and how easy and fluid it is to use. Looking forward to 2.0 but using it and enjoying every day until then. Really not a lot more I want out of it beside the function parts and like A2DP for the hardware.
    12-11-11 10:42 AM
    Bought it for mainly business purposes. It works well for displaying presentations. Not really at all for making them. And not really well at all for making documents etc. Not really good as a quick reference book. Really fails to live up to its potential.
    12-11-11 10:44 AM
    ...If the Playbook currently does not do what you need it to do and you don't have the resources or skills to make the apps to make it do what you need it to do, the PlayBook is probably not the best choice for you.
    I guess you're missing to point here. Maybe because English is not my native language and can't express myself enough?

It's all meant positive.
    12-11-11 11:57 AM
    The PB bridge + secure OS provides confident stock transactions on-the-go. True multi-tasking avoids the annoying refreshing and loss of data as seen on LESSER tablets.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-11-11 12:07 PM
    BB travel? Doesn't that need a radio? You want it bridged to the PB? Maybe it is also redundant? But yeah if you don't have a bb but then wouldn't it need a radio or does it work over wifi? Where do you get wifi on the road? Wifi hotspot?

Sorry just curious and no business here.....
    Hold your attack friend, it's all positive.

Although there's is a learning curve, my intentions are to start developing software when 2.x is coming out. Guess what? Business oriented software.

Using the radio of your BB phone when wifi is not availabel? Great idea! So much potential!
    12-11-11 12:09 PM
    The PB bridge + secure OS provides confident stock transactions on-the-go. True multi-tasking avoids the annoying refreshing and loss of data as seen on LESSER tablets.
    Yes, i agree.
    12-11-11 12:10 PM
    i bought it just to mess around with, as I dont think tablets are really that practical (particularly this one for 'business use') yet, in time though, in time. it would've been nice if RIM did some more homework either before releasing the playbook or after releasing, update their OS rather than worrying about Android apps - but first making their own OS full of features that people want, then after that, adding the extras.
    Well, I bought mine for "business use" and it worked so well for my company's needs that they bought 5 more to try. The size, bridging, Os, security, browser and multitasking have made it perfect for our requirements, that other tablets haven't matched yet. Not to mention that our documents and emails stay on our phones, not the PB. Which IT loves. Last month an analysis was done that indicated that due to the increased efficiency and time savings using the PB, each employee's PB will pay itself off within 2 to 3 weeks. In business, those are excellent returns for an investment! On top of that, we have two software service providers whose product we subscribe to for government regulatory updates as well as supplying software for gov agency required record keeping, in the form of weekly DVDs. That previously required Windows as the Os. As of 2 weeks ago, they now offer it all online. Now we can access all revisions and records, update profiles and databases from the PB, while in the field. Way cool!! Bridge rules!!
    While we make use of several apps that are available, there are without a doubt many more needed. But as of now still definitely a "business" tool.
    jkeithbrown likes this.
    12-11-11 02:36 PM
    Well, I bought mine for "business use" and it worked so well for my company's needs that they bought 5 more to try. The size, bridging, Os, security, browser and multitasking have made it perfect for our requirements, that other tablets haven't matched yet. Not to mention that our documents and emails stay on our phones, not the PB. Which IT loves. Last month an analysis was done that indicated that due to the increased efficiency and time savings using the PB, each employee's PB will pay itself off within 2 to 3 weeks. In business, those are excellent returns for an investment! On top of that, we have two software service providers whose product we subscribe to for government regulatory updates as well as supplying software for gov agency required record keeping, in the form of weekly DVDs. That previously required Windows as the Os. As of 2 weeks ago, they now offer it all online. Now we can access all revisions and records, update profiles and databases from the PB, while in the field. Way cool!! Bridge rules!!
    While we make use of several apps that are available, there are without a doubt many more needed. But as of now still definitely a "business" tool.
    fair enough, but it should still have a native citrix reciever with network/wireless printing support lol, and universal search.
    12-11-11 02:44 PM
    fair enough, but it should still have a native citrix reciever with network/wireless printing support lol, and universal search.
    We agree on that But while not the best method, I have no problems with printing as I send docs to our network email and it prints from there. One extra step isn't a big deal, but direct would obviously be ideal.
    12-11-11 05:18 PM
    I'm glad to see that (as for as a poll can be trusted) there is so wide variety of PB users.
    Next year I will go seriously into software development and hope to produce valuable and complete applications for RIM products. First I want to see what's going to happen with 2.x and such.

Thanks everybody for your input!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-12-11 07:45 AM
    I really miss a functional Office suite; without a spreadsheet, the PB has not been a perfect solution for me. I still love it, though, and much prefer it to the iPad (which I received as a promo for buying a vehicle; I have since given it to my mother). Can't wait for OS2, which is supposed to have fully functional Office apps.
    12-12-11 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD