Hi,
    My brother has picked up my Playbook 64gb for me and will be sending it overseas where I currently work (in a country which still blocks appworld access).
    Has anyone taken their PB overseas and tried accessing appworld on wifi or is only accessible in some countries like it is on bb phones?

Thanks in advance.
    04-20-11 02:07 AM
    No idea if it will be blocked or not in countries that block appworld in general, but it certainly works overseas via wifi in countries that support appworld.
    04-20-11 02:25 AM
    Hey, I am in the same boat as you... I will be getting my PB by the end of this month.

give the following a shot and let me know if it works.. I tried it on my blackberry but it didnt work since it requires mobile network to be on and since the PB is wifi only then it might work..

you gotta have windows 7
    VPN connection to the states or a country that supports appworld (you can buy one for a monthly fee or you might be able to find some companies that provide it for free)

start a vpn connection (this will show as if ur in the states) you can check that by going to IP Address Locator - What Is My IP Address Location? Find IP Address Search, IP Locator, IP Lookup after starting ur vpn connectio.

(giving u details since im not sure if ur an IT guy or not)

start Virtual wifi

open command prompt
    type the following:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=password
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork

note that the ssid can be named to anything u want and the key can be changed to any password you like.

after doing the following you still need to enable internet connection sharing on the main internet connection you have (not the vpn and not the virtual wifi)

just go to the properties of it and click on sharing then click on the first check box (share internet connection)

when all of this done, connect your PB to the virtual wifi you just created and give it a shot..

let me know if this works. I havent tried it yet since im still waiting on my PB to arrive by the end of this month.
    04-20-11 07:07 AM
    i've been using VPN's over here for a while, and one of them is permanently connected to the US so i'll try over that, but it's nice to have appworld available everywhere so you can access future apps when you visit friends or family.
    04-20-11 08:14 AM
    Not sure if you tried it already but I got it to work.. I can access the AppWorld from Lebanon (not a supported country) but the method i mentioned above...
    04-29-11 05:49 AM
    I'm using appworld by any WiFi hotspots in Russia without problems
    04-29-11 06:00 AM
    Hey, I am in the same boat as you... I will be getting my PB by the end of this month.

give the following a shot and let me know if it works.. I tried it on my blackberry but it didnt work since it requires mobile network to be on and since the PB is wifi only then it might work..

you gotta have windows 7
    VPN connection to the states or a country that supports appworld (you can buy one for a monthly fee or you might be able to find some companies that provide it for free)

start a vpn connection (this will show as if ur in the states) you can check that by going to IP Address Locator - What Is My IP Address Location? Find IP Address Search, IP Locator, IP Lookup after starting ur vpn connectio.

(giving u details since im not sure if ur an IT guy or not)

start Virtual wifi

open command prompt
    type the following:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=password
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork

note that the ssid can be named to anything u want and the key can be changed to any password you like.

after doing the following you still need to enable internet connection sharing on the main internet connection you have (not the vpn and not the virtual wifi)

just go to the properties of it and click on sharing then click on the first check box (share internet connection)

when all of this done, connect your PB to the virtual wifi you just created and give it a shot..

let me know if this works. I havent tried it yet since im still waiting on my PB to arrive by the end of this month.

I tried above but got an error. I've alternately tried making an adhoc connection through windows 7, and was able to make a shared wifi connection. However, problem is other computers can see and connect to that wifi network, but Niether my playbook nor my 9780 can see or connect to that network. Any help would be appreciated.
    05-05-11 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD