I am seriously considering the PB, but so much seems to depend on which BB device you have and even sometimes the carrier. I have a 9650 on Verizon and just run the latest official Verizon released OS's.

My general q to all PB owners would be as to how slow the bridge browser really is and my second question is seeking input from anyone who is running their PB through a 9650 and how the bridge works, connectivity and any pairing or other issues? Can't tell if the 9650 is one of the easier devices to pair to a PB of if it isn't worth it at this point. Thanks.
    05-02-11 08:47 AM
    I own a pb32gig and a 9650 and I can tell you it is very easy to use. The bridge is slow on the browser but with updates is "supposedly" going to get faster. Honestly it does what i need it to do, so i'm very happy with it. I wouldn't trade it, nor would i give it up. If you have any doubts i would cast them out because this device pair is fantastic.
    05-02-11 09:17 AM
    The bridge browser is real real slow,,takes forever to load cnn.com etc.
    I hope they are able to speed it up, but have not seen anything official on it yet
    from RIM.

I also have a 9650 and love the two working together. If you don't pin your decision on
    just the bridge browser I think you would like it.

But check with Verizon on their policies. Right now I am using tether until the bridge gets speed up,,if it does.

Tim
    05-02-11 09:33 AM
    Verizon 9650/Bold on OS 5.xxxx and the Bridge works fine although as noted, the bridge browser is slow (wifi is really fine). When I was first testing, I was easily able to "bridge" my 9650 to three in-store display models. Same ease when I got my own pb. Bridge Files (an app on pb) will actually launch files (docs, pdfs and xls) in read-only mode and show them on the pb.

You can read about its limitations (no file manager, no real use of folders for organizing). Limp sheets-to-go and pdf reader. So only you can decide if it is worth it.
    05-02-11 09:46 AM
    But check with Verizon on their policies. Right now I am using tether until the bridge gets speed up,,if it does.

Tim
    Can I ask - do you have a tether package from Verizon or just winging it? I have not investigate tethering and don't want to up my monthly bill. I'm hoping the Tether.com folks come up with a pb version.
    05-02-11 09:48 AM
    I too have the VZW 9650 and the Bridge browser is absolutely worthless on my PB. it doesn't even load yahoo.com fully. So I stopped trying to use it. How has the tethering experience gone for you more experienced folk? just a side note if you're still thinking of getting the PB, the browser on wifi works great. Thanks
    Last edited by hellnback76; 05-02-11 at 03:10 PM.
    05-02-11 03:06 PM
    Right now I am using tether until the bridge gets speed up,,if it does.
    How are you using tether???? 9650 doesn't have mobile hotspot so maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean.
    05-02-11 03:16 PM
    great combination! bridge browser too slow but promising for future. get a pb and you wont be disappointed. i got 32 gb but now wish i had sprung for a 64.
    05-02-11 04:18 PM
    Sprint and 9650 everything working good as can be expected. The browser on my phone is horrible anyway so I didnt expect much in the bridge but everything else works well. I am really happy now I didnt return the playbook now that there is BBM and Facebook
    05-02-11 04:22 PM
    VZW 9650 and 64 PB. I've had zero problems connecting via bridge, I love it. As noted above, the bridge browser is slow but that's pretty much what I was expecting. I love the email interface though, so much better than scrolling through all the emails on my phone. If you're planning on getting the PB for the bridge browser alone, you'll be disappointed but the regular browser is great over wifi.
    05-02-11 04:37 PM
    I too own a 9650 with Sprint as my carrier and a 32gb PlayBook, everything with the exception of a slow browser via bridge works GREAT! I must say that the WIFI works extremely well and quick.
    05-02-11 05:26 PM
    I have a 9650 through Sprint and it is very easy to use the Blackberry Bridge. The Bridge Browser is slow but all the other functions on the bridge work well and quickly When I am out of a WiFi area, I use the Internet Tethering on the Playbook under the main Options tab. This works well and I typically get 1500+ KBPS 3G download speeds using my phone as a modem.
    05-02-11 06:54 PM
    My 64GB PB and Sprint 9650 work fine together.. Like everyone else says bridge browser sucks but rest seems good. Don't have any issues with bridging, it has always worked for me.
    05-02-11 07:02 PM
    My 9650 and my PB dont like each other for some reason i cant get it to display de bridge applications at all. Ive tried doing a clean wipe of the phone and reinstalling the OS and as well as updating the PB OS. Nothing worked so far. Any advice as to what i could do? Thank you in advance.
    05-03-11 09:16 PM
    I have the PB and the 9650 from Verizon and other than the slow Bridge Browser have not had one problem and love it. Tehtering from the options through bluetooth is pretty quick and smooth. Only did it once for a couple of minutes to try it out though. Gonna wait and see what shows up on my next bill before I do it again. I heard if you call them and ask about it they'll look for it and bill you for it because they need to know your account info to answer any questions you know.
    05-04-11 05:46 AM
    I have a VZW 9650 with the "latest" carrier provided OS and a 32 gb PlayBook.

The bridge is a little slow but usable. Since the update it has become more usable thanks to better support for attachments, but it will still lag while typing.

I tether through bluetooth all the time and find the browsing experience to be very good. I have never tried the bridge browser, but I really don't have a need.

IMO, in order to make use of the PB to its fullest extent you really need the capability to tether. I actually pay for it, but the $20 a month is more than worth it for unlimited access.
    05-04-11 06:12 AM
    Like everyone else, I have had no problems with the PB and my 9650 other than my bridge browser. I really would like to be able to use the bridge browser at tkmes when I am traveling in my car.

I have not tried to tether and when I called my carrier (US Cellular) they didn't seem to know anything about it. Does this vary by carrier?

I would like to try the tether, but if I have to pay an additional monthly fee, it may not be worth it.
    05-04-11 06:59 AM
    I've had no issues at all and the Bridge itself has worked fantastically (with no real consequence to my battery) the whole time I've had it.
    The browser is a bit slow but that's understandable and it's been a great help to me in a few situations where there was no WiFi available.
    05-04-11 07:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD