does the new passport and with its screen or a passport-gen2 obsolete the playbook?

if they ramp up up to 6" or even 5.5" with a virtual keyboard like the Z series
    seems like they finally will

still use mine for a stand alone video/music(neutron) player in the desk stand
    but....
    09-25-14 08:22 AM
    No. Time killed the Playbook. It's over 3 years old.. that's a hundred in tech years.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:25 AM
    No thorberry killed the praybook. It could have remained relevant with some proper development.

It was all rimberry not just passage of time.
    09-25-14 12:12 PM
    The Z30 is what the Praybook SHOULD have been.........
    09-25-14 01:39 PM
    Passport - likely
    Blend - defiantly

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:20 PM
    No thorberry killed the praybook. It could have remained relevant with some proper development.

It was all rimberry not just passage of time.
    I think thornton said update was coming and Chen killed it!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:21 PM
    The Z30 is what the Praybook SHOULD have been.........
    Hmm, actually, if phone functionality was added to my PlayBook today, I'd shelve my Z30 -- Other than the matter of screen real estate, I feel quite a few UI changes between TabletOS and BB10 was a definite trade down (...more than just a form factor adaptation). :P

I am nevertheless considering replacing both these devices with a Passport -- the higher resolution should make up for the smaller screen, I hope (lot's of technical pdf reading here).
    09-25-14 06:47 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Nope. It was announced that PB wouldn't be getting the previously promised update BEFORE Chen arrived.

Passport won't kill anything. Chen has already hinted that if they don't do well on selling hardware, they will focus on higher margin software. Earnings this morning still reported a loss (though not as bad as the street had expected). Revenues were better, but boosted by sales in their lower-end products. Meaning? Enterprise sales are lagging. Guess where the Passport is focused? Yes, I agree that in general the BB products aren't bad, but BB10 came to market years too late. Apple and Android have risen too quickly for BB to catch up anytime soon.
    09-26-14 07:57 AM
    The one has nothing to do with the other!
    09-28-14 06:33 AM
    I'd have thought that purely in terms of BlackBerry products the Z30 is the one that comes closest to replacing a Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-28-14 06:45 AM
    No. Time killed the Playbook. It's over 3 years old.. that's a hundred in tech years.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair the iPad 2 was sold up to a few months ago and it's even older than the PlayBook. and it received the iOS8 update. The PB could have still been in use had they decided to keep it relevant.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    09-28-14 02:46 PM
    Wow how things have changed, it seems that Thor must be working at CrackBerry with some of the Mod posts in reference to the PlayBook. I understand that though when you have to worship those in positions of power instead of telling the truth. But there is some improvement here as well Blaze advised that the Passport was and I quote "bad ***". When I posted the word *** in a post I was warned and threatened so I guess the ultra sensitive stuff is gone and that's great. I retIred my PlayBook today and will monitor Blackberry from my iPad mini since RIM has no new Playbook2. I Wil buy a new Pasport after about 6 months when they are $99 or less. If you have read this far it was Thor who officially killed Playbook not Chen. Believing anything else just makes you look even more stupid. Passport may be $500 or more now but please don't throw away your money like people do for the IPhone it will be a one time device and updates will be small and light. It's a fact.
    09-28-14 06:14 PM
    I'd have thought that purely in terms of BlackBerry products the Z30 is the one that comes closest to replacing a Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that makes sense a small phone replacing a tablet!?!? Come you don't really expect anyone to think that do you?!?!
    09-28-14 06:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are wrong Bigtime wrong sir
    09-28-14 06:19 PM
    Yes that makes sense a small phone replacing a tablet!?!? Come you don't really expect anyone to think that do you?!?!
    If you read the post I said in terms of BlackBerry products, rather than the Passport.

Clearly it doesn't in reality.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 06:24 PM
    BlackBerry announced March 2014, Playbook support will end in April. Chen was in the drivers seat. Even if Thor killed it, Chen is in charge, he can decide to **** off shareholders and spend money they don't have into a old device.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:04 PM
    Since I got my Z30 I've hardly touched my PlayBook. So as far as I'm concerned it did replace it.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-29-14 02:07 AM
    V
    If you read the post I said in terms of BlackBerry products, rather than the Passport.

Clearly it doesn't in reality.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry Banco my mistake
    Banco likes this.
    09-29-14 04:32 AM

Posted via CB10

Can't beleive still rehashing this, but yes the Z30 is what the Playbook should have been at release. The z30 does replace/eclipse the PB with the addition of a card slot.
    Just a bit smaller screen. My 2 PBs have been retired to clocks/picture frames.....
    09-30-14 09:41 AM
    To be fair the iPad 2 was sold up to a few months ago and it's even older than the PlayBook. and it received the iOS8 update. The PB could have still been in use had they decided to keep it relevant.
    Apple updated iPad 2 to iOS 8 in order to kill it Same for iPhones.
    10-04-14 08:21 AM
    Iam a lover for BBplaybook but this time round BBpassport as killed it for life.
    I got my passport two days after lauch but guys passport as killed my 4G lte and 3G plus

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:27 AM