Yesterday my kids used playbook on a trip and they drained out the battery completely.

After getting home when I placed it for charging and tried to start the PB but it doesn't start.

When we placed it for charging, the red light comes for few seconds and it goes off and nothing happens after that.

Any solution?
    06-09-12 10:15 AM
    "6 cycles of charging of max 2 minutes, then a full charge of approx 2 hours should correct this" is the mostly probable answer you'll get. You may try. Please use the wall charger, not the usb cable that is not relevant for that.

Hope it helps (sry, in a hurry !)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-09-12 10:46 AM
    Superfly is right... Here it is a little more detailed..

"Stack Charging" Charge for 2 minutes, unplug it for 2 minutes.. do this at least 6 times, or more... keep doing it.. you might want to do this by unpluging it from the wall, instead of the USB port (saves the port from possible damage).

When the Green light appears and stays on longer than a few seconds, THEN put it on the charger and let it charge..Leave it alone!!

It will take around 2hrs with the OEM Playbook Rapid charger (magnetic end) or longer with the OEM Playbook wall charger, to get up past the 20% battery level.
    06-09-12 11:44 AM
    I hope this is fixed if possible with an update. Until then RIM should be putting warning stickers on them. DO NOT LET YOUR BATTERY GO DEAD.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-09-12 12:44 PM
    Superfly is right... Here it is a little more detailed..

"Stack Charging" Charge for 2 minutes, unplug it for 2 minutes.. do this at least 6 times, or more... keep doing it.. you might want to do this by unpluging it from the wall, instead of the USB port (saves the port from possible damage).

When the Green light appears and stays on longer than a few seconds, THEN put it on the charger and let it charge..Leave it alone!!

It will take around 2hrs with the OEM Playbook Rapid charger (magnetic end) or longer with the OEM Playbook wall charger, to get up past the 20% battery level.
    Merci m'dame !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jafobabe and hpjrt like this.
    06-09-12 05:34 PM
    Here are the things I did so far:
    I charged the PB for 10hr continuously and tried to start it but no use.
    I tried the 2 minute process but didn't work.

Any other suggestions?
    06-09-12 11:16 PM
    I was in the same boat as you, the cycle charging was not turning the device on after repeated attempts. My solution was purchasing a rapid charger this turned on my playbook within minutes; hope this helps (why reset the device if you don't have to).
    06-10-12 08:48 AM
    Stack charge is best. However make sure your charger is ok, as the ones with the "swing out" prongs is sometimes not connecting.

Verify that it is plugged in wall and jiggle it, by having it plugged into your phone and you see the lightning bolt battery icon showing its charging the phone.

Then unplug from phone and plug into playbook, make sure you don't move the side plugged in the wall. Then try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    06-10-12 10:38 AM
    Nope didn't work. So disappointing!
    06-11-12 02:54 AM
    The stack chargers are correct. The PlayBook (foolishly IMHO) tries to prevent a charger from over charging its lithium ion batteries so shuts down the charge quite quickly if it can't start the OS (which can then throttle the charging rate). The solution is to use a charger with not a lot of amps (or watts) to jump start it. I will often use my computers USB ports as they seem to be smart enough to throttle the charge down until Windows can recognize the device (which it can't do until the OS powers up). Use the stack charging technique above if necessary but keep at it. Each time the OS tries to start it flashes the whole screen which of course drains the battery very quickly. The trick is to get enough charge into the PlayBook to allow the OS to start enough to bring in the charging smarts to accept full power from the charger. I really think the person(s) responsible for the charging algorithms need to be taken out in the woodshed. The Lithium Ion battery is unlikely to catch fire without SUSTAINED overcharging and it should allow full amperage charging until the OS has started. They should also keep the screen off until the battery is at 1% or some such so you can get it restarted.

I have two PlayBook and my kids are always killing them despite my entreaties to shut them off or plug them in when the power level reaches 7% so this is a regular ritual for me. Be happy you can use a cellphone charger or a USB port to charge it. I'd have pitched them both long ago if not for that!
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    06-11-12 04:17 AM
    When this happened to me, I left it charging overnight, and in the morning I tried doing a reset (power, up and down volume buttons at the same time). Hope yours sorts out soon!
    06-11-12 04:30 AM
    Invest in rapid charger it nullify this issue. Don't know why but it just does and is a good investment if you allow children to use your device.
    06-11-12 05:21 AM
    Is all els fails restore with debrick method. Sometime when the play " won't turn on" the screen is actually on but you can not see it as it is black. I had to do this with one of mine before as it woul not turn on nor would the little light ce one when charging. Also before I did that I would try holding down the power button for a few minutes to see if it actually turns on/off. This worked for me trick and the debrick method worked twice too. Food lick.

Sent using Tapatalk
    06-11-12 05:52 AM
    I tried all the methods again except the rapid charger with no luck. I am little scared to place extra money on the charger.
    06-12-12 07:26 AM
    Call RIM Support.....

The PB has a one year warranty,and only a 90 day free Tech support.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    UK: 0-800-096-2805
    France: 0800914533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Twitter: @BlackberryHelp
    Email: [email protected]
    06-12-12 08:47 AM
    Thank you very much. Couldn't get my Playbook to turn on. Holding the button down for 10 sec + while attached to computer worked!

Well advised...
    Someone thanked me for this advice I never gave but seemed to work for them. It may work for you. If you know the wall charger works then try holding button while plugged into the wall.
    06-12-12 09:21 AM
    Someone thanked me for this advice I never gave but seemed to work for them. It may work for you. If you know the wall charger works then try holding button while plugged into the wall.
    Nope it didn't work either for me.
    06-13-12 04:08 PM
    The stack chargers are correct. The PlayBook (foolishly IMHO) tries to prevent a charger from over charging its lithium ion batteries so shuts down the charge quite quickly if it can't start the OS (which can then throttle the charging rate). The solution is to use a charger with not a lot of amps (or watts) to jump start it. I will often use my computers USB ports as they seem to be smart enough to throttle the charge down until Windows can recognize the device (which it can't do until the OS powers up). Use the stack charging technique above if necessary but keep at it. Each time the OS tries to start it flashes the whole screen which of course drains the battery very quickly. The trick is to get enough charge into the PlayBook to allow the OS to start enough to bring in the charging smarts to accept full power from the charger. I really think the person(s) responsible for the charging algorithms need to be taken out in the woodshed. The Lithium Ion battery is unlikely to catch fire without SUSTAINED overcharging and it should allow full amperage charging until the OS has started. They should also keep the screen off until the battery is at 1% or some such so you can get it restarted.

I have two PlayBook and my kids are always killing them despite my entreaties to shut them off or plug them in when the power level reaches 7% so this is a regular ritual for me. Be happy you can use a cellphone charger or a USB port to charge it. I'd have pitched them both long ago if not for that!

Doesn't your playbook automatically shut down when it gets to about 10%??? Mine does. I've never had a problem with it.
    06-13-12 06:02 PM
    Doesn't your playbook automatically shut down when it gets to about 10%??? Mine does. I've never had a problem with it.
    Mine shuts down shortly after 0%. You meter is probably off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it bother you.

I'm always on the charger within 1/2 hour or so of the shut down and never had an issue charging again.
    06-13-12 06:16 PM
    Yesterday my kids used playbook on a trip and they drained out the battery completely.

After getting home when I placed it for charging and tried to start the PB but it doesn't start.

When we placed it for charging, the red light comes for few seconds and it goes off and nothing happens after that.

Any solution?
    How long was it between the time the PB shut down and when you tried to recharge?
    06-13-12 06:19 PM
    How long was it between the time the PB shut down and when you tried to recharge?
    Almost after 3 hrs I tried to charge it.
    06-14-12 09:11 AM
    Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.
    Chaddface likes this.
    06-16-12 05:06 AM
    Very interesting that in the last few days folks have found a shorter stack charge sequence may work better.

I would suggest that if folks do Stack Charging, that they leave the usb end plugged in and unplug at the wall end - lessening the strain on the weaker usb port on the pb.
    06-16-12 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD