It is going to come with 16, 32, or 64GB of storage so I'd imagine it would give the option to store stuff on it, even stuff from the BB.
    I understand that when paired with your BB, it will display your email, BBM, etc on the Playbook without actually storing any info on the Playbook. When the pairing is broken, the BB data will disappear from the Playbook. Now, the option might exist to setup your email on the Playbook independent of the BB but we still don't know exactly how this will work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 09:06 PM
    I understand that when paired with your BB, it will display your email, BBM, etc on the Playbook without actually storing any info on the Playbook. When the pairing is broken, the BB data will disappear from the Playbook. Now, the option might exist to setup your email on the Playbook independent of the BB but we still don't know exactly how this will work.

i would hope you can do this cause REQUIRING a BB to have email on the playbook seems kinda ****ty. But then i doubt you would get push anyway since it wont have a PIN perhaps. just to many questions.

**** with all the android tabs out there i know i can get push email
    11-22-10 09:09 PM
    I'm not sure how the pairing will work with at&t. I was talking to someone in the know at my local store and they do not allow pairing via bluetooth for data purposes. He also stated that the only reason why they allow the iPhone to do so, is because they had no choice in order to get the exclusive rights.

I'm curious how att is going to react once this device comes out

If you have tethering included as part of your data plan, there is no way for the carrier to tell if you are doing it over a usb connection or Bluetooth. I also have a feeling that the manner that the Playbook will use data from your BB will be in the same manner that the Tether app does and appear as on-device data. I don't have any proof or anything, but I can see the "amplified" app not needing to be installed as a modem driver and not enabling modem mode on the phone...thus avoiding triggering the tethering mode that carriers can detect.

11-22-10 09:11 PM
    I can't see there not being e-mail on the playbook independent of the blackberry - that would be a huge striek against the playbook for anyone without a blackberry phone. While I still think the playbook is primarily a way to keep/retain smartphone users by RIM, that would be going way to far.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    11-22-10 09:15 PM
    I can't see there not being e-mail on the playbook independent of the blackberry - that would be a huge striek against the playbook for anyone without a blackberry phone. While I still think the playbook is primarily a way to keep/retain smartphone users by RIM, that would be going way to far.
    I'm sure there will be email access, but whether it will be like on our phones is the question.

11-22-10 09:31 PM
    The PlayBook does have a PIN. I was quite surprised when I saw this, but the simulator made it quite clear.

As for tethering. I expect that using e-mail/BBM and other things where the actual network code is on your BB will just appear to be normal BB data. For things that you can also do over WiFi, like browse the web, the simulator confirms that the PlayBook tethers just like a laptop.
    11-22-10 10:16 PM
    Questions about unified email, calendar, and tasks independently of a BB phone have taking a wait-and-see approach to the Playbook. I like to have Exchange and IMAP support independently of a BB phone.

I'm hoping that RIM will release more information at CES about why a consumer will want a Playbook.
    11-23-10 08:38 AM
    My concern is not with "having" to pair with a bb. It is how consistent the data connection will be with carriers across the board. I have an 8530 on Sprint. I have unlimited data in my plan, (everything data 450, not Simply everything). I have only been a bb user since last May, I have never succesfully tethered to my laptop. I still can't get an answer on whether a bluetooth tether is going to be possible with all carriers across the board. I don't even know if Sprint lets Blackberries tether at all. I read somewhere that with simply everything you can get something like a PAM plan for a $15 monthly charge. Then I called Sprint tech support and asked if tethering was supported on my phone, even be willing to pay an extra fee for this service. I was told only Samsung Epic and something else I can't remeber has this feature availible. I think she meant turning your phone into wifi hotspot, but not entirely sure.

I will leave Sprint if I cannot get full functions (data connection for web browsing) when I get my Playbook. I will miss every mobile number I call being free and I will miss unlimited data if not availible on other carriers plans.

I can live with giving those up to browse on PB through my data plan.

I cannot live with the fact I don't know if I will have to move carriers next year.
    11-24-10 12:02 PM
    My concern is not with "having" to pair with a bb. It is how consistent the data connection will be with carriers across the board. I have an 8530 on Sprint. I have unlimited data in my plan, (everything data 450, not Simply everything). I have only been a bb user since last May, I have never succesfully tethered to my laptop. I still can't get an answer on whether a bluetooth tether is going to be possible with all carriers across the board. I don't even know if Sprint lets Blackberries tether at all. I read somewhere that with simply everything you can get something like a PAM plan for a $15 monthly charge. Then I called Sprint tech support and asked if tethering was supported on my phone, even be willing to pay an extra fee for this service. I was told only Samsung Epic and something else I can't remeber has this feature availible. I think she meant turning your phone into wifi hotspot, but not entirely sure.

I will leave Sprint if I cannot get full functions (data connection for web browsing) when I get my Playbook. I will miss every mobile number I call being free and I will miss unlimited data if not availible on other carriers plans.

I can live with giving those up to browse on PB through my data plan.

I cannot live with the fact I don't know if I will have to move carriers next year.
    Tethering is different from pairing. No one knows what the carriers plan to do, if anything at all. People pair their smartphones with vehicles but carriers haven't added any extra charges for that functionality.
    11-24-10 12:17 PM
    Tethering is different from pairing. No one knows what the carriers plan to do, if anything at all. People pair their smartphones with vehicles but carriers haven't added any extra charges for that functionality.
    I understand that there is a difference. My fault not making that clear. But from what I gather, a cordless tether utilizing bluetooth connection is already possible. I was under the impression this would be possible with the Playbook.

So paring, yes fine, Blackberry Amplified, ok so I can get a secure connection for seeing content on my phone.

And the data connection is something separate, a tether, possibly over bluetooth? I am just wondering, what if your network has already blocked tethering for your phone. I will still have the "paring" capability, but it is obvious we need more clarification when Rim says it can share your existing data plan.
    11-24-10 12:30 PM
    ^Have you ever been successful in tethering your phone via USB using Desktop Manager? If so, then bluetooth tethering should work and only your settings need to be tweaked or maybe its the Bluetooth adapter you have on your PC. If you can't tether via USB with DM, then you most likely need to get a tethering plan added via Sprint.

11-24-10 12:36 PM
    The price points if it was true would be great. If it allows to use data through BIS then I am sold on the playbook. If not, then I still need to think about it. Adding an extra bill on my monthly expense list does not sound that great.

11-27-10 10:17 PM
    So when the playbook is not around a wifi connection and needing to pair up with your bb phone will the internet be as good as if buying a 3 or 4g playbook?
    11-28-10 01:50 PM
    So when the playbook is not around a wifi connection and needing to pair up with your bb phone will the internet be as good as if buying a 3 or 4g playbook?
    It will be as good within the constraints of the capabilities of your device. Obviously if you have a 3G phone it won't be as good as a 4G PlayBook. RIM's newer 3G devices (like the Torch) have a maximum speed of 3.5Mb/s, in my experience real-world speeds are about 2.5Mb/s when tetherd. That's fast enough that it feels like browsing on your home connection for most things.
    jebulls likes this.
    11-28-10 03:11 PM
    Are there any BB phone models on the horizon that will have the ability to work as a wifi hotspot ? Was thinking of going to the BB Style from my HTC Hero(rooted), kinda miss my old BB, and def want to get a PB when available, but may keep the Hero to use for the PB when away from home wifi.
    11-28-10 09:19 PM
    def want to get a PB when available, but may keep the Hero to use for the PB when away from home wifi.
    The PlayBook can tether to any BlackBerry with OS 5 or higher over bluetooth. In addition to getting data access you get BBM/e-mail/contacts/calendar/etc sync.

As for your original question, it's rumoured to be coming to the Storm 3. We don't have any definite answers though.
    11-28-10 09:25 PM
    Are there any BB phone models on the horizon that will have the ability to work as a wifi hotspot ?
    wasn't os6 supposed to have a wifi hotspot?
    11-28-10 09:31 PM
    except if i am home i wouldnt want to ever run it through my BB. I have wifi fully available and would want the full speed available instead of running it thru another device. But i dont think that will be possible. we have to wait and see
    You would be pairing data over the BLUETOOTH, leaving you free to connect to WIFI
    11-30-10 04:43 PM
    I'm actually an Android fanboy excited about the Playbook!

I'm going to connect the Playbook to my Google Nexus One via the Nexus One's (free)WiFi hotspot feature and be able to use the Playbook no-matter where I am as long as my Nexus has a data connection. This is going to be cool as heck IMO.

Android got it hooks in my big-time but it's going to be nice to be back in the Blackberry family with the Playbook.

I was going to get a Galaxy tab but the WiFi only version has been delayed, plus I think I actually like the looks of the Playbook better, plus the Galaxy is made by Samsung, which means it will be/feel cheap. Just hope the Playbook as a nice hefty feel to it.
    12-01-10 10:52 AM
    I'm an Android user as well looking at tethering with the PlayBook. Waiting for more details like everyone else. I want to see what's left out of the PB user experience if not paired with a BlackBerry.
    12-01-10 12:11 PM
    just ditch android phones and get urself a Blackberry phone
    12-01-10 06:23 PM
    why would anyone want to do that right now with the crap RIM has available
    12-01-10 06:46 PM
    why would anyone want to do that right now with the crap RIM has available
    Exactly.

I feels sorry for Blackberry trolls. They have nothing to troll about and just sound ignorant.
    12-01-10 07:46 PM
    Thanks but no thanks.
    12-02-10 01:10 PM
    If I can use my existing BlackBerry data plan without any additional fees, then I'm sold on this product. If not, then there's not a very good chance I'll be getting one. This would be so awesome for meetings if I could pair it up. Hopefully we'll get some concrete information sooner rather than later.

12-05-10 03:34 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD