Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By itr themes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Pairing PB to Android phone

I am getting really frustrated. I just gave up my BB for a Galaxy S3 (android). I fully expected to be able to use my phone's data plan to access the internet from my PB. I assumed this was done through bluetooth. I have paired the 2 devices but when I try to access the intenet it says to open wifi.
    1) is this possible?
    2) do I turn wifi off on the PB and turn on bluetooth?
    3) or?????
    CrackBerry Abuser

My guess would be to create a hotspot on your Android and then connect your PB using WiFi, using the internet through Bluetooth on the android will not work, that is a BB specific feature.

Last year I tried connecting to a hotspot on an android and it would never connect but there's been many updates since so I don't know if it would work now.
    Stephane
    BB9800. Z10
    Playbook 16G - The Wife
    Playbook 32G - Mine
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spidermurphy View Post
    I just gave up my BB for a Galaxy S3 (android).
    Oh... well there's your problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

Bluetooth Bridge ONLY works with a BlackBerry device that also has it installed. As said above, you would have to turn your phone into a hotspot
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts

yes thats correct all you have to do is set up the hotspot on the S3 and then connect the blackberry to it just like any other wifi. I have it set up on my wifes S3 AND my Galaxy Note II and just a little FYI when tethered with a BB phone the video chat doesn't work, but when connected to the wifi hotspot on my GNII it works perfectly! fun times! lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts

foxfi for android
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

You'll need a phone that support the Bluetooth Dial-up Networking (DUN) profile, most Nokia phones and some Android phones have it. The other option is to get your phone to provide an infrastructure Wi-fi hotspot. Ad-hoc Wi-fi doesn't work on the PB.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Create a hotspot with your Android device andyou should be able to access the WIFI through your PB like any other connection.

To use your Android device as a Keyboard&Mouse for the PB, download BLUEPUTDROID. Easy, breezy.
    Thanked by:
    GooseberryFool (01-10-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Having the same problem with my nexus4, cobaltblue3 is working good on android 4.2 if you want bluetooth tethering. Bridge mode won't work with android device but tethering mode should work.
    Last edited by Drashak; 01-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    '' Sorry for my bad english, i do my best. ''
    CrackBerry Genius

"Internet tethering" in settings by BT depends on carrier. VZW doesn't work. Use FoxFI and wifi hotspot. Paid app is unlimited, free app shuts off after 15 min and you have to redo connection. Not detectable by carrier ( install the plugin).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Pairing PB to Android phone

as someone else has said get foxfi for android and also install the shield plugin. this stops carriers seeing a tether and thinks its normal use, perfect if you have a carrier that either charges or doesn't allow it.

easy to setup. activate foxfi on your phone, give your network a name, assign a password in your settings first. this will generate your hotspot.

open pb settings, search for the network under wifi, add password and away you go. this is the easiest and most effective way to do this. BT isn't that good when you connect thru the likes of pdanet etc.
    I own a Playbook - who says men can't multitask!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

I use FoxFi as well...best way to go.
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Hahahahaha!!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beman39 View Post
    yes thats correct all you have to do is set up the hotspot on the S3 and then connect the blackberry to it just like any other wifi. I have it set up on my wifes S3 AND my Galaxy Note II and just a little FYI when tethered with a BB phone the video chat doesn't work, but when connected to the wifi hotspot on my GNII it works perfectly! fun times! lol
    I know, we can finally video chat on our PB when in the field using our GNote 2 hotspots. Bonus, my 9780 is a great remote control for my GNote.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by scuebydue View Post
    Bluetooth Bridge ONLY works with a BlackBerry device that also has it installed. As said above, you would have to turn your phone into a hotspot
    Bridge might only work that way, but you can certainly use bluetooth to pair with a 3g handset and use internet connectivity that way.

I always have WiFi turned off when I'm using it like that, and I do it at plenty of locations where there's no WiFi, using bluetooth to pair my PlayBook with my Nokia N8 handset.

edit: I had to create a tethering profile on my PlayBook because my carrier wasn't currently listed - I got the settings from my handset.
    CrackBerry Abuser

[QUOTE=gleck0de;7838620 ... To use your Android device as a Keyboard&Mouse for the PB, download BLUEPUTDROID. Easy, breezy.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks - will try this out sometime. Will be very useful as a remote control by the sound of it, ie to take photo of group including self (someone posted that use recently but with BB phone ) I'm sure lots of other uses, including remote to Playbook if near TV when connected by hdmi ???

I've already sussed out using my Galaxy S3 as hotspot when out and about, if required, so another thumbs up re this for others.

Thanks very much
    GF
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

As a few other people have said

On android phone
    "Setup a WiFi hotspot", then "enable portable WiFi hotspot"
    On playbook
    Go to WiFi and you will see AndroidAP as an available network.

I have done this on my Nexus 4 and it works well (also worked on Nexus S)
    CrackBerry Master

The app advised above "ColbaltBlue3" seems to work well for allowing tethering via bluetooth if that's what you want. Personally I think portable WiFi hotspot is easier (although only because it's integrated into the manufacturer customized Android ROM on my phone), but CobaltBlue seems like a good alternative if one is needed. Once the app was running, it was very straight forward to setup the tethering. Another alternative is "BlueDUN", but it costs money and I don't know if there is any actual advantage of it over CobaltBlue. Something perhaps of note though: it mentions having been tested with the PB in the app description. (Note that these apps won't work on all phones, but they claim they should work on most; if they don't WiFi hotspot should still work. If it isn't an option in your ROM, install FoxFi, as recommended above).

The app mentioned above "blueputdroid" for using a phone as keyboard/mouse only works for certain devices (not including mine, unfortunately), but you can always try it, although unless you have a phone with a physical keyboard, I'm not really sure a phone keyboard would be better than the PB one. Although I guess you do get the advantage of choice between Android keyboards, and also not having screen space on the PB taken up by the keyboard.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.