I'm not a fan of Android, but if you're a gamer this open source game console is a HIT. $5,000,000 backups and counting. I can no longer boast my PB as my ultimate game console, not until i can use a BT controller. RIM's game devs should have deployed it first.

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console by OUYA — Kickstarter
    07-18-12 04:58 PM
    A lot of android phones and tablets can already do this. Also the PB is not a gaming console.
    07-18-12 05:01 PM
    lol, thing will be a joke.
    07-18-12 05:05 PM
    The Ouya while cool, will not have continued developer support and by the time it hits the market it's already outdated in the Android world. Great idea but it's a short term idea that will fade off into nothing and become about as useful as a Logitech Revue in today's tech world. Also, not sure how you managed to relate a console to a tablet outside of the fact it runs Android but whatever lol.

Keep this thread clean folks. Spare us all the name slinging and hatred.
    anon(3896606) and BB10FTW like this.
    07-18-12 05:08 PM
    Never considered the Playbook a game console...more of a check and compose my email and documents, read a book, watch an occasional video tablet but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    07-18-12 06:07 PM
    Was the playbook the ultimate game console before oyua.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    todbanner likes this.
    07-18-12 06:13 PM
    I'm not a fan of Android, but if you're a gamer this open source game console is a HIT. $5,000,000 backups and counting. I can no longer boast my PB as my ultimate game console, not until i can use a BT controller. RIM's game devs should have deployed it first.

Actually, I can't think of any reason why you COULDN'T use a BT controller with a Playbook. If it's an off-the-shelf part, why not? You can already use a Blackberry to remote to a PB...

...and as for content, the devil's going to be in the details. What's the compensation model for developers, anyway?

OUYA looks interesting, and I wish them well, but just because they're the "next big thing" doesn't mean they'll really BE the next big thing.
    07-18-12 06:17 PM
    Serious? This game console ain't portable. It has to be plugged in.
    Instantly, Playbook beats it.

As for bluetooth controls: all Android tablets allow bluetooth (and USB) gamepads/controls.
    Playbook has support for this in the API. You'll see it used very soon.
    07-18-12 06:25 PM
    A lot of android phones and tablets can already do this. Also the PB is not a gaming console.
    Never considered the Playbook a game console...more of a check and compose my email and documents, read a book, watch an occasional video tablet but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    why does everyone keep insisting that the PB is not a a gaming console, IMHO it does that and more! it has GREAT game titles that I enjoy playing and I wish devs would jump more into it, yes its great at sending/reading emails and documents, read a book..ect ect ect which is why I think they got the name right! to me its a gaming console/multimedia/ebook/social media....and the list goes on! but thats just my views...
    BB10FTW likes this.
    07-18-12 06:40 PM
    I'm not holding my breath in regards to the Ouya until it's actually out.
    07-18-12 06:42 PM
    Wow... Since when Playbook is or was ever considered to be an "ultimate game console" ?! Did I miss something? Should we compare apples to apples etc.?
    Makes me wonder what's next coming to this forum. After all it's always pleasure to have a daily dose of hilarity.
    07-18-12 06:45 PM
    I can plug my playbook into the TV using an HDMI.
    The only thing that is missing is a console controller via bluetooth, which if RIM decides they want to do it, they can probably do it pretty easily considering you can currently connect a keyboard or mouse to the playbook.

So other than the lack of apps.
    Why is the Ouya beating the PB?

The Ouya is just another android based device, this time in console form factor. They do already have Android based media players which if they added a couple more USB ports, could probably do the exact same thing as the Ouya, if you just connected a couple of PS3 controllers to it.
    07-18-12 06:45 PM
    Actually, I can't think of any reason why you COULDN'T use a BT controller with a Playbook. If it's an off-the-shelf part, why not? You can already use a Blackberry to remote to a PB...
    I also remember reading somewhere about some game framework being worked on that will allow the 360 controller to pair with PB. Ill see if I can find the link when I get home.

On another note with the Ouya a mjaor battle they are going to have to deal with is piracy. If they want to attract big name studios and publishers they are going to need to figure out something there. Ouya seems like a great hobby project but imho I can't see it being competitive in the console market. Geeks like us may buy it but I doubt the average consumer will.
    07-18-12 06:52 PM
    Wow... Since when Playbook is or was ever considered to be an "ultimate game console" ?! Did I miss something? Should we compare apples to apples etc.?
    Makes me wonder what's next coming to this forum. After all it's always pleasure to have a daily dose of hilarity.
    no one ever said the playbook was the "ULTIMATE GAME CONSOLE" I think you over reading/over interpretation of what is being said, now that's hilarious

also didn't I read on here that there is a tiny BT thumb joystick being developed or in the works for our PB?
    Last edited by beman39; 07-18-12 at 07:06 PM.
    07-18-12 07:04 PM
    I also remember reading somewhere about some game framework being worked on that will allow the 360 controller to pair with PB. Ill see if I can find the link when I get home.
    Personally, I would rather be able to map the Playstation 3 Joystick to the Playbook as I prefer it over the Xbox360 joystick - but if this ever did come to pass, I would be very happy.

But to use a BT joystick, would that not mean that all of the existing games that are on the Playbook, along with any future games, require special patches or coding to incorporate the joystick?
    07-18-12 07:29 PM
    Bluetooth api's for xbox playstation and wii will be coming with BlackBerry10 so I think RIM understands how important gaming will be in mobile computing.

Question : Does this OUYA fit in ones jacket pocket or purse?
    Also,does it require any wires to work?

Why are you comparing this with the PlayBook again?
    07-18-12 08:09 PM
    Personally, I would rather be able to map the Playstation 3 Joystick to the Playbook as I prefer it over the Xbox360 joystick - but if this ever did come to pass, I would be very happy.

But to use a BT joystick, would that not mean that all of the existing games that are on the Playbook, along with any future games, require special patches or coding to incorporate the joystick?
    Id prefer the 360 controller personally But they do say HID bluetooth controllers which I believe the PS3 is. Ya the games would need to add the sdk to support the controller.

Heres the a quote from the post I was talking about:
    The ‘next’ feature branch for v1.3, v1.4, v1.5
    Optimizations and Performance improvements
    Shadows
    Terrain and Sky
    Gamepad input for Wii, Xbox 360 and Bluetooth� HID controllers
    Scoreloop Social integration
    Editor
    Source: Introducing gameplay v1.2 for 3D Indie Game Developers �BlackBerry Developer Blog
    07-18-12 08:10 PM

This console seems cool, but then you take a step back and think of what it offers and it doesn't seem all that great any more. They took a poll for the types of games backers were expecting to see on it, the results (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, FIFA) suggested people just supported it because they want something cheaper than what's currently available. The hardware they plan to put in just won't allow those type of games. I can see this thing slowly fading away and being forgotten in the near future.

Oh yeah, why is this being compared to the Playbook again? I love it, but the Playbook isn't really that great for gaming, at least until we get support for Bluetooth game pads.
    07-18-12 11:18 PM
    why does everyone keep insisting that the PB is not a a gaming console, IMHO it does that and more! it has GREAT game titles that I enjoy playing and I wish devs would jump more into it, yes its great at sending/reading emails and documents, read a book..ect ect ect which is why I think they got the name right! to me its a gaming console/multimedia/ebook/social media....and the list goes on! but thats just my views...
    That actually was my point. To me calling it a game console was limiting what it is. It is a great place to play games but it does so much more than that.
    07-19-12 07:12 AM
    I can no longer boast my PB as my ultimate game console
    Well, at least it is better for your reputation, if it made you stop saying that.
    07-19-12 08:28 AM
    Oh yeah, why is this being compared to the Playbook again? I love it, but the Playbook isn't really that great for gaming, at least until we get support for Bluetooth game pads.
    Playbook or else, I don't do heavy gaming on tablets, only on large screens. Tablets are great for light gaming though : sudoku, cut the rope... but I would never have thought of calling that "ultimate".
    Ninjatogo likes this.
    07-19-12 08:31 AM
    ultimate gaming console? ouya AND PB being considered that's more than a bit of a stretch. my ps3 is far closer to being the ultimate gaming console and the dusty xbox360 beside it is a distant second in that two horse race.
    Ninjatogo likes this.
    07-19-12 04:03 PM
    Playbook or else, I don't do heavy gaming on tablets, only on large screens. Tablets are great for light gaming though : sudoku, cut the rope... but I would never have thought of calling that "ultimate".
    This. Touchscreen gaming is only good for simple games, you need buttons and joysticks for intense gaming.
    07-20-12 02:51 AM
    No Ouya is fun for casual gamers and tweakers. Also the Playbook isn't even a console. On my Playbook I can play everywhere I like and for the Ouya you need a television.
    07-20-12 03:11 AM
    ultimate gaming console? ouya AND PB being considered that's more than a bit of a stretch. my ps3 is far closer to being the ultimate gaming console and the dusty xbox360 beside it is a distant second in that two horse race.
    And my gaming pc is far ahead of the PS3....
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-20-12 03:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD