First of all: The new OS looks great and was a charm to install.

I have one issue though: I can't get my bloody Outlook calendar and contacts sync'ed with my PlayBook. I have just a regular plain old laptop with Outlook 2003 installed on it. I can add my POP-email with no trouble, but somehow neither the PB calendar or PB contacts apps will work with it.

I *think* it might be a issue with Outlook 2003 with my Outlook calendar and contacts not connected to my email-adress, but I have no idea how to fix that.

Please advise!
    02-21-12 08:23 AM
    No, same with outlook 2010.
    Currently trying to find a workaround for this, if any.
    Let us know if you succeed !
    02-21-12 08:24 AM
    No, same with outlook 2010.
    Currently trying to find a workaround for this, if any.
    Let us know if you succeed !
    Same problem here with Outlook 2010. The contacts on the PB are populated by my Facebook friends. I suppose the calendar is too but I have no appointments set up in FB. I would definitely be interested in a workaround.
    02-21-12 08:40 AM
    I'll wait a couple of days and then will try to reinstall Outlook. I think that's the problem. IIRC Outlook emails had calendars and contacts attached to them somehow. I know I ed this one up once in the past and had trouble with a previous phone (Sony Ericsson) because of it.

I'd like to avoid this since my Outlook contains a number of emails with a certain sentimental value to me.
    02-21-12 08:43 AM
    Noone experiencing a smiliar problem?
    02-21-12 10:27 AM
    I am trying to set up active sync but no luck yet. Emails are coming over OK...
    02-21-12 10:37 AM
    I haven't found a way yet short of importing all your contacts and calendar in to a Gmail account or similar, and then linking that to the Playbook. There is no direct way to get your Outlook (or BB phone) contacts and calendar imported onto the Playbook; even using the Desktop Manager.

What a ridiculous oversite.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-21-12 10:40 AM
    Where is your email being delivered to, Personal Folders or left on the server? Are you on an Exchange Server If you're default delivery is set to Personal Folders, then you won't be able to sync. ActiveSync connects to and synchs with an Exchange Server or a server that uses ActiveSync.

Now connected, it syncs with my Calendar and Contacts and gives me access to our Active Directory lookups my PB and password to access my work email.

If you are using Outlook to connect to a POP service then it won't sync over the air, you would need to use DM to sync contacts and calendar via cable or Wifi.
    02-21-12 10:40 AM

If you are using Outlook to connect to a POP service then it won't sync over the air, you would need to use DM to sync contacts and calendar via cable or Wifi.
    DM does not have this option for Playbook. Only for the phones.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-21-12 10:41 AM
    So this is not a issue with Outlook or anything but a RIM related "problem"?

Oh, now this is sad. I don't mind using Bridge, but I'd have loved to have a option to sync my Playbook with my desktop PC or laptop just like I can do with my Bold.

Oh well, they'll probably fix this in one of the next updates.
    02-21-12 10:45 AM
    The PlayBook can only sync with cloud-based servers for contacts/calendar. I don't expect syncing to local Outlook over a USB cable is going to be supported any time soon, the number of users that do that is tiny.

What you should get setup is syncing Outlook to a cloud service like Gmail. You can then connect your PB to Gmail. With that sync between them would be instant, no having to plug in cables or anything. Create a new contact in Outlook and it'd automatically show up on your PB 2 seconds later. It's a much better user experience than USB syncing, which is why it's become the standard.

How does your email currently arrive in Outlook? POP? You can change the flow from "POP server -> Outlook" to "POP -> Gmail -> Outlook + PB".
    02-21-12 11:59 AM
    Gmail is no option for me.
    02-21-12 12:00 PM
    I do not see on my DM any possibility to synch anything else but medias. Certainly not Outlook.
    02-21-12 12:39 PM
    Not sure if this applies to Outlook (I don't use it) but here is how I synced my BB calendar with my PB:

1. Download Tungle (free app) - under Options choose which calendars you want to sync and how often to sync. I synced my MSN account with Tungle.
    2. I use my MSN account for my default calendar on my BB. I added my MSN account to my PB email and allowed it to sync my calendar, contacts, etc.
    3. Tungle automatically syncs all events from my MSN account with my BB and PB
    Last edited by deltadiva2; 02-21-12 at 04:02 PM.
    02-21-12 03:53 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I got it to work.

Try this...

Configuring outlook
    Outlook 2007 - Gmail Help

It won't sync from PB/BB to outlook, but it's a start....
    02-24-12 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD