Hadn't seen this one before (see attached). Was trying to open the calculator while also running Messages (major memory hog these days), the browser, GeeReader Pro (with an article displayed) and Blaq. Anyway, I closed the browser and was then able to open the calculator, but still quite annoying.

RCK
    06-25-12 02:41 AM
    The Messages app, GeeReader and Blaq each contain browsers too, so in total you're running 4 or more browsers. Depending on what is on the pages (flash clips, HTML5 canvas, SVG graphics etc) that may indeed require rather a lot of memory for a mobile device...
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-25-12 04:33 AM
    So are we to understand that the current BlackBerry PlayBook operating system does not utilize dynamically-linked libraries for the various development platforms? The company cheaped out in the decision to only install 1GB RAM in these tablets considering the tablet operating system and user environment is a bloody GUI.
    06-25-12 07:03 AM
    So are we to understand that the current BlackBerry PlayBook operating system does not utilize dynamically-linked libraries for the various development platforms? The company cheaped out in the decision to only install 1GB RAM in these tablets considering the tablet operating system and user environment is a bloody GUI.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. The QNX OS for the PB is a visual masterpiece and User Interface wonderland. All of that would consume considerable amounts of RAM one would think, so I don't know why they only bult 1GB of RAM in. I wonder if there is anyway to possibly upgrade the RAM?
    Last edited by bounce007; 06-25-12 at 10:22 AM.
    06-25-12 07:12 AM
    Of course it utilises shared objects.
    1GB is plenty for QNX (PB). However, the Android runtime can use up 200-500MB just by itself. If you're using latest version (2.1.0.560) it uses a fair bit less RAM though.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-25-12 07:14 AM
    I'm inclined to agree with you. The QNX OS for the PB is a visual masterpiece and User Interface wonderland. All of that would consume considerable amounts of RAM one would think, so I don't know why they only bult 1GB of RAM in. I wonder if there is anyway to possibly upgrade the RAM?
    Please point to any competing ARM-based tablet that ships wih more han 1GB of RAM.

RCK
    06-25-12 11:45 AM
    Please point to any competing ARM-based tablet that ships wih more han 1GB of RAM.

RCK
    I don't know any. But why couldn't RIM be the first, if they could?
    06-25-12 11:51 AM
    However, the Android runtime can use up 200-500MB just by itself. If you're using latest version (2.1.0.560) it uses a fair bit less RAM though.
    And many of us do so. I've successfully run Master of Orion II on DOSBox, the Android version of Kindle, Asphalt Adrenaline, and Word to Go, all simultaneously without topping the graphics RAM. Just lucky, I guess.
    06-25-12 11:55 AM
    I don't know the addressing limitations of ARM devices but, I usually think the rule of thumb is 1 gig RAM per processor as a minimum specification for hardware which is why I've looked at any dual core mobile device with only 1 gig as potentially weak.

This is a gui world and RAM is cheap, so why the obvious limitation by most every manufacturer? So my first guess is battery life.
    06-25-12 06:28 PM
    And many of us do so. I've successfully run Master of Orion II on DOSBox, the Android version of Kindle, Asphalt Adrenaline, and Word to Go, all simultaneously without topping the graphics RAM. Just lucky, I guess.
    Lucky indeed. I have my 64gb loaded up with 47gbs of random stuff. If I open the photo app it hangs forever and usually will lead to a browser crash. I was told that it needs some "breathing room", which makes zero sense since I still have 13gb free which is more than a fresh 16gb has to begin with. Right now I only have the browser open to post this and I'm down to 299mb free on 2.0.1, I'd gladly trade some storage for a little more ram.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure qnx can recognize and utilize more than 1gb of ram. If everyone else has 1gb, why the heck not ship it with 2gb? Cost difference can't possibly be a deciding factor. I sent several suggestions to have the 4g version ship with 2gb, im certain it won't.
    06-25-12 07:56 PM
    I agree, 2gb ram seems like it would have been much better but what do I know.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-25-12 08:16 PM
    I agree, 2gb ram seems like it would have been much better but what do I know.
    I'd say the sweetspot would be 1.5gb really... Just so we could have all the android apps, browsers and media thingies running without it getting too low on resources.

2gb seems like something for maybe, a 3rd gen Playbook? With a Quad core processor?

But what do I know...

I hope the 4G version comes with more RAM btw.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-25-12 08:24 PM
    I'm wondering if it is impossible for say, a super tech geek/wiz, to remove the memory and install an upgrade (if there is one) to the Elpida B8064B2PB-8D-F 1GB DRAM that the PlayBook uses. Is it possible?

06-26-12 06:19 AM
    Installing new hardware... I dont think it is designed for that
    06-26-12 09:36 AM
    Got that message the first time today. Only things running are Words w/friends and Battery Guru. About/Hardware shows 454mb free. As an aside: The Portrait screen shot cut off the left edge of the screen image. Never checked to see if that happens on all portrait screen shots or just this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Out of Graphics Memory?-graphicsmemory.jpg  
    01-14-13 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD