Hi everyone!

I currently have my Playbook protected by the OtterBox Defender.
    I'm considering purchasing the Rapid Travel Charger which connects to the other port (I don't know what you call it...the one with three pins), and not thru micro USB.
    I'm not sure if the magnetic socket that connects to the Playbook port will fit snugly despite the Defender's bulky (for lack of a better term) body.

Has anyone had any experience using these two together on their playbook?

Would appreciate reading your experience/thoughts on the matter before I make my purchase.
    01-04-12 11:45 AM
    My wife has both the Otterbox Defender and the rapid charger. The charger cable works fine with the Otterbox. Some have mentioned in reviews that the rubber flap that is opened to expose the USB, HDMI and Rapid Charger inputs can get in the way, but we have had no problems at all. Hope that helps!
    apg300 and JGUZEK like this.
    01-04-12 11:51 AM
    My wife has both the Otterbox Defender and the rapid charger. The charger cable works fine with the Otterbox. Some have mentioned in reviews that the rubber flap that is opened to expose the USB, HDMI and Rapid Charger inputs can get in the way, but we have had no problems at all. Hope that helps!
    Thanks for sharing, curlman! This is indeed helpful.
    Just a follow-up question: Do you or your wife find the need to bend the cord because of the Defender's bulk? Also, does the socket fit in either way, or is there just one way for it to attach?
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-04-12 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
    01-04-12 12:05 PM
    It only attaches one way with the case on (not sure about when it is off). The plug is at a 90 degree angle so it takes the strain off of the cord (if that makes sense)? Bending the cord does not seem to be an issue. I'd take a picture for you but my wife has the PB and is running errands.

Forgot to mention that the plug, when in use, does get in the way of the USB and HDMI sockets. That has not been an issue with us as of yet but I could see where it might be a problem at times.
    Last edited by curlman; 01-04-12 at 12:14 PM.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-04-12 12:12 PM
    The plug connects from either the right or left. With my Otterbox, I find that I do NOT get a good connection if the wire runs toward the right although flexing the wire a bit would probably help. I attach it so that the wire runs off to the left but then it does block the usb port (but I don't use them simultaneously).

If I connect with wire to the right, I have found that I will get the LightningBolt showing charging but it is NOT always charging. So there's a partial connection that signals the Lightning Bolt but does not actually start charging.

But it works fine off to the left. What's neat, with the magnetic plug, I can hook it up in the dark - no need to see anything.
    Last edited by F2; 01-04-12 at 12:26 PM.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-04-12 12:24 PM
    Thanks so much, curlman and F2!

You answered my concerns. Looks like I'm gonna go out and buy the Rapid Charger soon.
    01-04-12 01:07 PM
    Thanks so much, curlman and F2!

You answered my concerns. Looks like I'm gonna go out and buy the Rapid Charger soon.
    I don't remember which direction I place my rapid charger cord, but my PB charges fine in the otterbox. I usually charge it while it is flipped upside down stainding up in the otterbox bottom piece so can easily use it.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-04-12 03:30 PM
    Hi CrackBerry friends!

Just thought I'd update this thread, for everyone's benefit.
    I just got my Rapid Charger for the Playbook. Thanks for helping me out. Indeed, the Rapid Charger works and fits perfectly on my Otterbox Defender-protected PlayBook (see attached pic).

Frankly, I wouldn't have risked spending money on something that might not work for me. Your responses surely helped.

Cheers!
    01-19-12 02:21 AM
    I'm glad it worked out for you! Enjoy!
    apg300 likes this.
    01-19-12 04:15 AM
    The picture could also help others. Because right/left (or even up/down) is reversed if the pb is oriented in another configuration. It fits best if the wire runs in the direction of the usb and hdmi ports.
    01-19-12 09:35 AM
    I also have the otterbox defender case for my playbook and after reviewing this thread I decide to go ahead and purchase the rapid charger.

If anyone else is interested, Walmart as the rapid charger available for $19.00 with free sipping to store.

Here is the link: Walmart.com: BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - Rapid Travel Charger (Allows for Faster Recharging): Computers
    apg300 likes this.
    01-19-12 03:01 PM
    I have both. Didn't the rapid charger come with your PB? It came with mine.
    01-19-12 03:49 PM
    It will only make a good connection if the wire is on the left side. The case is to thick on the right side for it to make a good connection!
    01-19-12 08:51 PM
    I have both. Didn't the rapid charger come with your PB? It came with mine.
    Nope, jcp007, mine came with the standard charger with the folding socket. I guess yours was bundled with the Playbook. Good for you that you didn't have to spend extra for the rapid charger.
    02-03-12 10:25 AM
    I second this. I just bought a rapid charger and I have had no problems making it work with the Otterbox.
    Teeboy likes this.
    02-04-12 07:52 PM
    the connection is very much like Apples magnet plug they have for their laptops...surprised Apple hasn't sued them yet LOL. I use my RC for my PB and the PB's charger for my 9550 that way both devices are charges within minutes . Right now im supporting a great case i got from my local source store but i also have a Pb Defender and i had no worries with my RC and it together.
    my current case: Cyber Acoustics BC-5020 Leather Playbook Cover - Black
    02-04-12 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD