I received my OtterBox Defender today. I must say that I am impressed. The build quality is as you would expect from OtterBox, rock solid and very well done.

Included is a very heavy piece of plastic plate armor that has multiple uses. First and foremost, it doubles as a stand. It is a nice feature to have for those on the move, as it can be attached to the front or back of the case itself when not being used as a stand. When snapped onto the front of the case it gives complete screen protection. This is ideal when throwing your PlayBook into a backpack or travel bag. When snapped on the back it doesn't add anything functional other than a sliding camera shutter, but it does make it nice to be able to keep it all together. It does add quite a bit more bulk and weight though.

All the ports are covered with silicone flaps and are easy to access when needed. The inside of the flaps are even labeled to identify the port type. The physical buttons on the top are nicely raised, a great feature for those who got stuck with a flat power button and desired a raised one. The speakers are fully open as well, so no muffled sounds coming out of those great PlayBook speakers.

Screen and bezel performance are not compromised one bit by having the OtterBox on your PlayBook. Same great screen responsiveness and all bezel gestures are still easy to perform.

As a side note, I noticed that many of you purchased the Arkon portable folding stand from Amazon. I am happy to confirm that the PlayBook still fits on the stand with the OtterBox on.

I give the OtterBox Defender my highest recommendation for those looking to have the very best protection for your PlayBook available.

The OtterBox Defender case is now in stock and available directly from OtterBox. You can use coupon code tb0411u for 10% off and free shipping (unknown expiration date) The CrackBerry store is said to have them available May 10th.

Total Weights with PlayBook
    1 lb 11.6 oz with shield attached
    1 lb 7.5 oz without shield

Stock PlayBook weight
    15.2 oz
    Last edited by bighap; 02-11-12 at 02:57 PM.
    04-22-11 05:21 PM
    Very good review! I was already thinking of getting it, not that I'm clumsy, but it's nice to have some extra protection. After reading this review, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it now.
    04-22-11 05:32 PM
    Very good review! I was already thinking of getting it, not that I'm clumsy, but it's nice to have some extra protection. After reading this review, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it now.
    Thank you. I am not clumsy either and I never drop my phones but being a much bigger and more expensive device I think it is money well spent.
    04-22-11 05:44 PM
    does it come with a screen protector?
    04-22-11 05:53 PM
    I would like to see square trade drop a PB again with one of these on to be honest. I think it is a good investment to protect something this expencive, I will probably be picking one up as well.
    04-22-11 05:54 PM
    does it come with a screen protector?
    It has a clear membrane that protects the screen.
    04-22-11 06:00 PM
    Sorry I did not post before. I was only allowed 12 uploads
    04-22-11 06:16 PM
    It has a clear membrane that protects the screen.
    Thanks and that seals the deal for me.
    04-22-11 06:27 PM
    Ohhhh I think I really want one of these! I posted yesterday asking if anyone had gotten one yet. I'm carrying my PB around in my purse and there are all kinds of things in there that can damage it. It looks like it would give it enough bulk to be comfortable to hold.

I have a question about the top buttons. Is it easy to push through the cover to use the buttons or is there some added pressure needed because of the covers?
    04-22-11 06:28 PM
    Ohhhh I think I really want one of these! I posted yesterday asking if anyone had gotten one yet. I'm carrying my PB around in my purse and there are all kinds of things in there that can damage it. It looks like it would give it enough bulk to be comfortable to hold.

I have a question about the top buttons. Is it easy to push through the cover to use the buttons or is there some added pressure needed because of the covers?
    I personally like the added bulk. While the slim profile of the PB is nice it sort of makes it feel awkward to hold. The added girth of the OtterBox makes it more comfortable IMO. Yes, a little more pressure is required to use the physical buttons but it is nothing excessive.
    04-22-11 06:34 PM
    Thank you so much for the review and photos, and the coupon code. I just ordered mine
    04-22-11 06:48 PM
    do you loose a lot of the bezel area for swiping?
    04-22-11 07:14 PM
    do you loose a lot of the bezel area for swiping?
    There is very little loss. The thin strip on the inside of the speaker grates is all that is lost. The case does not compromise performance or ease of use.
    04-22-11 07:59 PM
    Thank you very much for the review. I have seen what Otterbox has done with other tablet cases and I am glad to hear this one rocks also! I ordered mine yesterday.
    SSMiKe06 likes this.
    04-22-11 08:24 PM
    just got my otterbox and must say that i completely agree with the review. great case. adds a bit of bulk but protected 100%. typing on my pb now in the otterbox.

if anyone lives in the markham ontario area. telus at pacific mall has them in stock.
    04-23-11 02:57 PM
    thank you very much for the review. I'll probably be ordering mine sometime in the next couple of days.
    04-23-11 03:35 PM
    Thanks so much for this. One question - is the screen protector raised at all from the screen or is it stuck on as with a Zagg protector? If raised, does it not impair things visually and/or when touching?
    Thanks again, I'm an Otterbox fan!
    04-23-11 04:45 PM
    cool, was waiting for someone to post a detailed usage review before picking mine up...just ordered one off amazon for $54 delivered.
    04-23-11 04:46 PM
    Thanks so much for this. One question - is the screen protector raised at all from the screen or is it stuck on as with a Zagg protector? If raised, does it not impair things visually and/or when touching?
    Thanks again, I'm an Otterbox fan!
    No, it does not stick to the screen. It sits ever so slightly above the screen. It does not impede with the touch, gestures, or image quality. It is very smooth unlike the Zagg products that have a tacky feel to them.
    04-23-11 04:57 PM
    Wow, sounds great. Many thanks.
    04-23-11 05:22 PM
    great to hear! i should receive my defender monday or tuesday.
    04-23-11 06:07 PM
    After seeing that clip of some guys dropping their PB I'm really interested in getting something that will protect it well.
    Also the extra bulkiness is going to help me hold it with my gargantuan hands.
    Most likely going to order this case when my PB arrives.
    I also have a otterbox case for my Storm2 and that one worked out pretty good for me, saved my storm2 from a few drops.
    04-23-11 06:31 PM
    i immediately returned my journal case after reading this. will order one soon.
    04-23-11 06:38 PM
    Ordered! Thanks for the coupon code!
    04-23-11 06:49 PM
    Two questions:
    1. can anyone confirm the weight? I have a hard time nearly doubling the weight.
    2. the screen angle when in the stand looks to point too high up. I'm hoping to set my PB on my front center console when driving to let my two kids watch movies from the back seat. This looks like it would be pointing to the roof. How is the angle?
    04-24-11 11:11 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD