Question about this for anyone who has it. I just purchased it, I noticed it comes with a screen protector. Is that one you have to apply yourself, and if so does it bubble? I heard somewhere its actually built in to the case, so its not necessary to apply it..

Is that true?

Does it effect the touch of the screen any?

Thanks
    09-06-11 09:24 PM
    Question about this for anyone who has it. I just purchased it, I noticed it comes with a screen protector. Is that one you have to apply yourself, and if so does it bubble? I heard somewhere its actually built in to the case, so its not necessary to apply it.

Is that true?

Does it effect the touch of the screen any?

Thanks
    It does come with a screen protector. It is attached!!!. Sorry Tapatalk newbie...LoL I didn't realize what forum section I was in. Sorry! The screen protector does not interfere with the touchscreen at all. I did purchase a 3M screen though, (matte finish) and kept that one on, and detached the stock one from the case, but most have no issues at all with the screen protector.

Cheers,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oniberry; 09-06-11 at 10:02 PM.
    Willard814 and dieselville like this.
    09-06-11 09:33 PM
    Built into the case, no need to apply... Actually using the first screen protector I applied along with the Otterbox "built-in" one and found very little reduction in screen response with the two together. The whole package is quite nice if you don't mind the extra bulk and weight it adds, can be assured your PB is well protected.

An added bonus is finger prints are "almost" non-existent.
    09-06-11 09:52 PM
    Ok, 2 different answers there. I purchased the OtterBox Blackberry Playbook Tablet Defender, not sure if there are others out there..

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 09:55 PM
    It is NOT a separate screen protector. Does not need to be applied. Do not remove it from the plastic frame of the case. Hope that helps.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 09:57 PM
    It does come with a stock screen protector (and hard plastic applicator for removing bumps/bubbles). It is not attached to the case and must be applied. I have an Otterbox defender, but before that I had purchased a 3M screen. So I keep the Obox one as a backup. While some have complained that the stock screen didn't have as good a response as some of the other ones, but less of that orange-peel feel. Some have also reported a slight rainbow effect when viewed at different angles.

Cheers,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    My Playbook Otterbox screen protector is attached to the case with "no" special application required... Sure we are talking about the same thing.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 10:00 PM
    Yeah, we are. All my BBs are Oboxed...and I have three. Sometimes I just can't keep my posts straight. haha
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 10:03 PM
    Yeah, we are. All my BBs are Oboxed...and I have three. Sometimes I just can't keep my posts straight. haha
    I hear ya, get that way once in a while too lol.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 10:08 PM
    I also have another screen protector under the otterbox one and it seems to work without any problems.

As you put your pb in the case, notice the way the tabs lock. Some of us have fou d it hard to remember how to take it apart if you want to. It is like a vault.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-06-11 10:35 PM
    I also have another screen protector under the otterbox one and it seems to work without any problems.

As you put your pb in the case, notice the way the tabs lock. Some of us have fou d it hard to remember how to take it apart if you want to. It is like a vault.
    Willard814 and purple_bb like this.
    09-06-11 10:36 PM
    I've had mine for as long as I've had my Playbook. Great protection and the touch responses are not as good as not having it on, but not bad at all. "I will not compromise protection!". P.S. I took it off last week and my Playbook looks like I just took it out of the box. Sweeeeet!
    Willard814 and dieselville like this.
    09-07-11 06:32 AM
    thanks for the help all Looking forward to getting my case in the next day or two...
    09-07-11 07:29 AM
    I got the otterbox case when i got my playbook. I have never used the playbook once without the case. It's funny how they market small / thin / portable items only to triple the thickness with a case. I don't care though I love the case and will never use my PB without it.

And yes the screen protector is within a plastic frame that is part of the whole case (3 parts)
    Last edited by The Dice; 09-07-11 at 07:43 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    09-07-11 07:40 AM
    I bought a stick on screen protector when I got my Playbook initially. Glad I read here that I don't have to remove it now that I added the Otterbox Defender. Not sure how I would clean the mess on the screen + would not like to throw in the garbage a 30$ plastic film...
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-21-11 01:54 PM
    I've had mine for as long as I've had my Playbook. Great protection and the touch responses are not as good as not having it on, but not bad at all. "I will not compromise protection!". P.S. I took it off last week and my Playbook looks like I just took it out of the box. Sweeeeet!
    How did you open the Otterbox? I want to clean or remove the screen protector.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-21-11 02:10 PM
    Once you get the rubber bumper off you need to lift at each of the protruding nubs to get them to release. OB has a video on their website demonstrating it.
    Willard814 and sasquatch99 like this.
    12-21-11 02:15 PM
    Once you get the rubber bumper off you need to lift at each of the protruding nubs to get them to release. OB has a video on their website demonstrating it.
    Thanks. I've wanted to clean or remove the screen protector for a long time because there are small round dots on the inside.
    12-21-11 02:20 PM
    With screen facing you, push up and away on those two tabs on top(the ones with circles on them) is downhill from there
    Willard814 and sasquatch99 like this.
    12-21-11 02:55 PM
    Have had my Pb in an otterbox since the nylon sac slingshot it across the room, effectively stopping my heart, as i watched my days old playbook smack onto the cement floor. Nicked up a corner and I had to apologize to the kids for my language. Otterbox arrived the next day as I ordered it from my playbook as i picked it up.

Putting it on is easy, taking it off to clean the screen is tough the first time. The only thing to remember is you are more likely to break your fingers than you are the tabs.

I have switched back and forth to a more 'professional' BB leather case for preaching or funerals, but think I will just leave my otterbox on. I get bumped and jostled and set it down too often in the wrong place. BTW, the cover makes a great coaster when doing a visit and no where to set ones glass.
    12-23-11 10:37 PM
    Tonight I got tired of the big round bubbles under the otterbox screen protector.

Did a bit of research on forums, reviews, Google.

Maybe it's because I have a Zagg screen film under the OB screen protector that the whole thing got so bad? I still don't want to remove the Zagg in case I decide one day to stop using the OB case.

Anyway, there is the baby powder trick that is supposed to eliminate the bubbles, but I have no powder at hand! Then, I realized that when I applied my Zagg, it came with a spray solution that did the trick of "melting" the plastic film on the screen, without bubbles. Well, I tried using it between the Zagg and the OB clear plastic protector and so far, it seems to do the job. My screen is clear again.

If it doesn't last, I'll try the baby powder, or maybe some wax (will have to find the actual name for that wax again...)
    01-02-12 08:42 PM
    What is the baby powder trick? Never heard of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 08:46 PM
    I use Otterbox Defender to protect my Playbook. Yes it's quite thick and heavy, but the protection is just unquestionable. As far as the screen protector is concerned, I'm very happy with it. Doesn't affect touchscreen function in any way.
    Just for added protection, I inserted small thin cloths to cover the speakers from dust. At first I thought it may affect the touchscreen function, because they're in between the Playbook screen and the Defender's screen protector, but I was surprised to find out that they didn't.
    The Defender truly is one of the best, if not the best, protection for the Playbook.
    purple_bb likes this.
    01-02-12 09:26 PM
    The Otterboxes for the phones use to have a teflon or similar fabric over the speakers and microphone ports.
    01-02-12 09:46 PM
    I didnt like the otterbox plastic screen cover that was attached to the frame so i pulled it off and rely on a stick on film cover. On the otterbox one i didnt like how it could get dust under it. Case is good though and I have one for my 9900 as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 11:05 PM
    @jamesharmeling

Here's a video link to the powder trick:

OtterBoxTV's Channel - YouTube

A review that mentions it and gives further details on the procedure :

Otterbox Defender Review (and how to get rid of the air bubbles/oil slick) | Hey, Let's Rock!

And finally a post by sleepsafe on the Otterbox for Storm thread on Crackberry forum:

(quote follows):

"I like the screen on my OB to be crystal clear. I can't imagine adding baby powder. It seems it would look like dust between the clear cover of the OB and the Storms touchscreen. I used a Product called Renaissance Wax. It's a clear wax used to protect metal and wood finishes. I use it on firearms, and Ivory. I put a small light coating on the inside of the OB screen, and on the Storm touchscreen. I buffed it off/ It's crystal clear, and no watermark effect. I like this better than using powder. Rubbing the screen with an oily finger works, but it leaves ugly smears on the Storms touchscreen. I would think any type of wax would work."

I may have to get some baby powder after all if the Zagg spray solution does not settle within a few days... As for wax, I would be worried about it damaging the plastic material of either the PB or the OB case.

Definitely want to keep the included OB screen protector on to keep the dust totally out, but screen bubbles really a bummer... OB gained me as a customer with that product, I even ordered a case for my Curve, but they should try and improve their screen protector so screen quality is at its best...

@aj.bb.fanatic

Really good idea to cover the speakers, the only part of the PB open to dust. Will do that next time I have the courage to open my case. Gee this is solid protection, really hard to unclip!
    01-03-12 12:10 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD