Does someone think if it will posible to Install another OS on the PlayBook like Android? Honeycomb, WebOS, idk =P what is needed to do this because if playbook doesn't sucess with OS 2.0 and I can't install another OS I will cry LOL cus the wasted money and the ****ty Tablet (that's if the 2.0 doesn't make it good...)

loonix likes this.
    09-29-11 08:47 PM
    its been said almost a million times. NO.

all BB devices must have signed keys before it can be turned on. only RIM has these magical keys so only rim OSs will work on bb devices.
    09-29-11 09:32 PM
    Does someone think if it will posible to Install another OS on the PlayBook like Android? Honeycomb, WebOS, idk =P what is needed to do this because if playbook doesn't sucess with OS 2.0 and I can't install another OS I will cry LOL cus the wasted money and the ****ty Tablet (that's if the 2.0 doesn't make it good...)

You want to make sow's ear out of a silk purse? Knock yourself out.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-29-11 09:41 PM

I wouldn't mind being able to use Ubuntu, but those other OS's wouldn't be am improvement by any stretch of the imagination.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-29-11 10:47 PM
    its been said almost a million times. NO.

all BB devices must have signed keys before it can be turned on. only RIM has these magical keys so only rim OSs will work on bb devices.
    Didn't know that I'm so ignorant man lol
    09-30-11 12:11 AM
    Didn't know that I'm so ignorant man lol
    Still a good question though. I think you would be good at making custom ROMs for Android phones and stuff. You strike me as someone who would jail break their iPod, or root their Android phone. Or try to unlock Motorola's boot loader! The Android community would love you if you could do that.
    Last edited by NickA44; 09-30-11 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Man, I really need to read my post before submitting
    09-30-11 12:17 AM
    Still a good question though. I think you would be good at making custom ROMs for Android phones and stuff. You strike me as someone who would jail break their iPod, or root their Android phone. Or try to unlock Motorola's boot loader! The Android community would love you if you could do that.
    Are you telling me to change to Android and start making ROMs? lol
    09-30-11 12:37 AM
    Are you telling me to change to Android and start making ROMs? lol
    Go for it! I still love my Droid X2. Although I've been looking at the Torch 9850 on Verizon since getting the PB.
    09-30-11 12:43 AM
    What about running one of these operating systems WITHIN QNX?

RIM got an Android environment running on it. Who's to say you can't do that?

But then again, I know nothing about this type of stuff.
    09-30-11 12:50 AM
    Hum, I've been thinking about this a dozen times.
    Sure the magic keys makes a low level OS choice mostly impossible.
    But, here are my thoughts :

- Running andro�ds apps will be nothing but having an emulator (ok, ok, don't pinpoint this, it's commun language) over the OS ... while Andro�d and QNX have kernels similarities this is not that surprising.
    - Balance is a word that should be more employed here; as we don't really know what's inside it. At this moment, what I've read about is that it will be a single OS with two separated "environments". What will be the delta between pro and personal environments is yet a mystery ...
    - Virtual machines are now popular over many platforms ... if QNX succeeds ...
    - Remote desktops are also popular (either embedded ones as Microsoft's or ext as VNC, Citrix...), some are already in AppStore.

So that i think, the major 2.0 release will aslo include some "enterprises enhancements", and I won't be surprise we'll find at least some native (&secured) remote desktop clients. From here to run a totally different OS ... I think you'll have to use a soldering iron ... and ROM programming ... yet, you'll better choose another tablet for this !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-30-11 at 02:50 AM.
    09-30-11 02:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD