What are the KNOWN upgrades and what are the upgrades that you HOPE to see?
    12-26-11 12:14 PM
    Actually, I count more than 65 days.
    12-26-11 12:25 PM
    Actually, I count more than 65 days.
    oh ok, I didn't know it was going to be released February 29th ... Thanks for the information!
    12-26-11 12:33 PM
    Well, I don't really know that either All I have heard is, "End of February". But I think Leap Day would be a most fitting day for the PB to make its long anticipated leap ahead!
    12-26-11 12:42 PM
    no one said its going to be released feb 29. but typically companies like to keep at the very last minute of the announced month. in the case of RIM, thats pretty much a give in

as for features...

- android player being vastly improved with compatibility. so far a LOT of android apps don't work at all in os 2.0 6.x. RIM said they were improving it for sure. who knows if that'll actually happen.

- better android player UI. there needs to be a simulated 'home' button or something. sometimes the android navigation bar shows all the current/recent android apps running and sometimes it doesn't. very annoying

- WAY better native facebook apps and more official apps from big players like twitter, etc. the current facebook app sucks horribly. you can at least FINALLY look at groups on facebook with the last update, but you still can't 'like' a lot of things making facebook a very static experience on the playbook. right now i have android's version of facebook installed which is definitely way better.

- notifications. as far as i know, theres no way in the playbook NDK to implement notifications at all yet? it works in android apps. but absolutely no native playbook apps which make no sense..

- keyboard autocorrect. one of the most obvious flaws of the playbook in its current state. its just horrible. coming from iOS and android, typing on the playbook is painful.

- better keyboard overall. you can't even copy/cut/paste in web form fields in the browser. huge oversight.

- at least the ability to edit/organize friggin bookmarks!

- way better video support. half of my videos don't even play or have no sound. compared to android/iOS where my videos play just fine in various 3rd party video players. unfortunately the playbook has none.

- BETTER PDF SUPPORT. huge deal for a tablet that will obviously be used as a reader by many people for the most part. right now, its pdf support is dreadful.

- the rest of the 'upgrades' i want come in the form of apps and well..i know RIM doesn't really have control of that. but all of the above should be taken care easily by RIM.

- and yes..native mail client etc
    Last edited by lynntarbox; 12-26-11 at 12:47 PM.
    12-26-11 12:45 PM
    If RIM hasn't thrown in the towel by the end of February, we'll probably see a release of OS2; but, will it be significantly better than the current Beta? No one really knows. We do know it won't magically make lots more QNX apps appear. But, it would be nice if RIM used the timing to make a few apps appear that should have been there from the beginning--Kindle, Skype, Netflix, etc. Yes, I know, Android versions of these may run under OS2. But, especially with Skype, Netflix and any other communications/ streaming apps, native QNX would be a lot better...
    12-26-11 01:28 PM
    If RIM hasn't thrown in the towel by the end of February, we'll probably see a release of OS2; but, will it be significantly better than the current Beta? No one really knows. We do know it won't magically make lots more QNX apps appear. But, it would be nice if RIM used the timing to make a few apps appear that should have been there from the beginning--Kindle, Skype, Netflix, etc. Yes, I know, Android versions of these may run under OS2. But, especially with Skype, Netflix and any other communications/ streaming apps, native QNX would be a lot better...
    so far, the only android versions that run from that list is kindle. skype and netflix don't work fully or at all.
    12-26-11 01:30 PM
    i would LOVE to see a better reception through tethering...and also a phone connection pick up if I have my headset plugged in via bluetooth or cordline. Basically that is it!!
    JR A and Abrante like this.
    12-26-11 02:21 PM
    Santa has an ETA of 364 or 365 days and I'll bet he arrives first!
    12-26-11 03:26 PM
    while you cant edit bookmarks, if you put it in list mode then hit eddit, when you see the little tfash cans you can tap ,d and drag the bookmarks up and down. this will also affect their display order in icon view. in beta 2 OS anyway.
    cas118 likes this.
    12-26-11 03:41 PM
    native email
    notifacations
    page scrolling on the bezel
    better facebook
    better camera functions
    spell checker for the uneducated, like me.
    sat nav
    whatapps
    onlive game support
    bluetooth for my headphones.... i was pissed when i found that one out.
    smart styles like the htc flyer
    android type of bridge app
    update information
    widgets
    cool weather apps auto updated
    themes
    web os card
    cross platform video chat... i know nobody with a playbook
    open os
    loads of

the CEOs one is over the hill big time and the other one might aswell be working for the banks... new blood, new era... like sports people 35 game over.. 60 days is a joke it was a joke 2 months ago 400 million down... wow rim needs to stop being all about rim... free the platform.. it would be nuts coz the software is cool just need a younger influence.. the mass tablet users wants the business tool second to media based experiance... pull ya fingers out of each other and wake up.. i really like my playbook but its getting old now
    12-26-11 03:50 PM
    Well, I don't really know that either All I have heard is, "End of February". .....
    But - besides from "February" .. did they ever say Which Year? ha ha
    12-26-11 04:01 PM
    no one said its going to be released feb 29. but typically companies like to keep at the very last minute of the announced month. in the case of RIM, thats pretty much a give in

as for features...

- android player being vastly improved with compatibility. so far a LOT of android apps don't work at all in os 2.0 6.x. RIM said they were improving it for sure. who knows if that'll actually happen.

- better android player UI. there needs to be a simulated 'home' button or something. sometimes the android navigation bar shows all the current/recent android apps running and sometimes it doesn't. very annoying

- WAY better native facebook apps and more official apps from big players like twitter, etc. the current facebook app sucks horribly. you can at least FINALLY look at groups on facebook with the last update, but you still can't 'like' a lot of things making facebook a very static experience on the playbook. right now i have android's version of facebook installed which is definitely way better.

- notifications. as far as i know, theres no way in the playbook NDK to implement notifications at all yet? it works in android apps. but absolutely no native playbook apps which make no sense..

- keyboard autocorrect. one of the most obvious flaws of the playbook in its current state. its just horrible. coming from iOS and android, typing on the playbook is painful.

- better keyboard overall. you can't even copy/cut/paste in web form fields in the browser. huge oversight.

- at least the ability to edit/organize friggin bookmarks!

- way better video support. half of my videos don't even play or have no sound. compared to android/iOS where my videos play just fine in various 3rd party video players. unfortunately the playbook has none.

- BETTER PDF SUPPORT. huge deal for a tablet that will obviously be used as a reader by many people for the most part. right now, its pdf support is dreadful.

- the rest of the 'upgrades' i want come in the form of apps and well..i know RIM doesn't really have control of that. but all of the above should be taken care easily by RIM.

- and yes..native mail client etc
    One thing I will correct you on is that the Facebook app does work great. Just like on my pc.. What you have to do is when you open up the FB app. click in the top right corner where it says sign up for facebook. That will bring you to the better version, and you sign in from there.
    12-26-11 04:14 PM
    The Playbook needs the ability to organize files, photos and videos into folders as well.

As far as what to expect for the final release, I'd be very surprised to see a release that is drastically different than the most recently released beta. I'm hoping to see another beta coming soon. Given the timeframe to go from final beta to release candidate to release, and given the fact that RIM knows the importance of releasing a 2.0 that works as advertised, there should be no surprises in 2.0 that don't appear in a beta or release candidate. 2.0 won't come out without a developer preview. If they stand any chance of a February release, there should probably be a final beta by the middle of February latest.
    12-26-11 04:35 PM
    OS2 "within 60 days" huh?

Now, where have I heard that phrase before...

As to what's going to be in it, I've read nothing definitive. It's all speculation because RIM haven't provided a list of anything that will be in there. I know BBM won't be included, but what will? Hopfully RIM have a plan and it'll include some of the things on my wish list (native email, android player, USB Host, to name a few).
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-26-11 at 04:43 PM.
    ReedMA, Trevante and pkcable like this.
    12-26-11 04:37 PM
    If the current "beta" is really beta instead of alpha, there should probably be more than one or two people with such important programs like native email and calendar running on their PB by now.
    kingbernie06511 likes this.
    12-26-11 04:39 PM
    But - besides from "February" .. did they ever say Which Year? ha ha
    2012 seems probable given it marks the final year of the Mayan calendar. Though the delivery month for BBPB OS 2.0 might slip all the way to Q4 - December.
    12-26-11 04:40 PM
    I'm not holding out much hope with OS2. I don't think the improvements/additions will be big enough to turn heads. I honestly think there'll be a lot of people on this forum who'll be disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong.
    12-26-11 04:49 PM
    Auto correct
    Multi language support
    Last edited by aha; 12-26-11 at 06:38 PM.
    12-26-11 06:34 PM
    I don't know. I can only hope it will have most everything people complain about it not having. Apps of course are not the OS.
    12-26-11 06:36 PM
    Can anyone tell me the last time RIM kept a promise.........??? sorry, but I'm not going to hold my breath
    12-26-11 06:50 PM
    I'm like others; RIM has never in their history kept a promise let alone deliver on one. I hope for the best but in all honesty, I doubt that we will see OS2 in February. Heck, I doubt we will see it by this time next year. Hope I am wrong. I really do.
    12-26-11 06:55 PM
    Given that the beta seems to be working well, why would you doubt that the official release will be forthcoming in February? It must be very depressing to be so cynical.

I don't know why everyone keeps harping on Skype and Netflicks. I don't use Skype on my desktop anymore because of the delay feature and spotty reception. As for Netflicks ... in Canada Netflicks is a waste of money. Nothing offered is current. As a Canadian I don't care if the PB ever gets it. Now if Netflicks Canada began offering movies that were newer than a year old ... or TV episodes that are actually in the current season, I might have a different take on it.
    12-26-11 09:45 PM
    The only part of the beta anyone can speak about is the very limited Developers' beta. No one has mentioned native email and no one know what rim proposes to include/exclude in the OS2. Will it include a needed update of the pdf viewer, the sheets-to-go, pinch/zoom in bridge email? Email a photo from the photo app? Who or which single individual at rim is testing all of those functions?

Listen, they still can't get the wifi working consistently with N routers.
    12-26-11 10:18 PM
    Given that the beta seems to be working well, why would you doubt that the official release will be forthcoming in February? It must be very depressing to be so cynical.

I don't know why everyone keeps harping on Skype and Netflicks. I don't use Skype on my desktop anymore because of the delay feature and spotty reception. As for Netflicks ... in Canada Netflicks is a waste of money. Nothing offered is current. As a Canadian I don't care if the PB ever gets it. Now if Netflicks Canada began offering movies that were newer than a year old ... or TV episodes that are actually in the current season, I might have a different take on it.
    the beta is working well in what regards??? it doesn't even have half the things they said they would put in there including native email client, autocorrect keyboard etc etc.

look, i get that YOU don't care if netflix gets it or not, but thats your own selfish problem. the reality is netflix and skype are HUGE services used by a LOT of people. and those voices are louder than yours.
    12-26-11 11:07 PM
190 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD